• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heat Shields are back!

2fast

Crotch Rocket
Back by popular demand! After quite a few email inquiries, I decided to get off my duff and make a new batch of heat shields. They are finally ready to go. If you want a set, ping me at bpsnow at hot mail dot com and I will hook you up. Same as last year, $85 including shipping. They are different for the pre and post 94's, so tell me what you have. Brian

A lot of new members since this was last discussed. You might want to post a little more info and some pics. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

Brian, Put some photos and a good description together and list it in the Emporium Area. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

FWIW, I've had them on for a year, they work well and I think they make the bike look much more "finished".

Good suggestions. I tried to find last years thread to revive, but nothing came up on search. Does stuff disappear over time, or did I do a bad search? Anyway, for now, here's a link to some photos on Webshots. I will post some more info as soon as I get time.

Does stuff disappear over time, or did I do a bad search?
It might depend on where you posted it but nothings been removed from any of the bike or tech areas. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

2fast where is the link? ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife Why is it that for evey 1 "making Bacon" there are 20 people eating the fat?

Here is the thread from last year. http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/mboards/viewmessages.cfm?clubID=1328&forum=1407&Topic=11944 I just backed up through the posts in the c10 acc area. I did not try search but know it can be iffy at finding things. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Hey thanks Bob! I just entered some search words in a couple of different ways and nothing came up for me. I appreciate you locating it. Here's the Webshots link again for photos. Heat Shield Photos

I like mine also for my sake but I have concerns about the long term effects of the extra heat held around the petcock and fuel system over time. It just seems that with use all summer that more heat is held on these parts for maybe a longer time mainly after you stop. Could this make rubber bits less happy with time? Also if you have made modifications to the fuel system could the extra heat be adding to the problems we are seeing with so many experiencing a vapor lock type condition. I know this is just musing and I hope Brian understands. I own a set and ran them last year. I may not this year until I work out problems with my fuel system. I sure would rather have them on. Makes the bike nicer to ride in high heat. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Brian, Does the price include the edge seal for the inner fairing that is shown in your pics? Does it make a big difference in heat with the inner edge seal or can you have just the shields? Lastly what is the best way to order from you. Thanks, Roman 2001 Concours California COG #8642

I think the edge seal came with it. Contact info should be in the old thread i link to on the first page. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

Roman, The edge seals are included in the package. My email is bpsnow at hotmail dot com. Bob, I have not had anyone contact me about a relationship between the heat shields and vapor lock. The heat shields are open at the bottom, and of course the airpaths from the front area of the tank are open, so I would think that normal convection would allow the heat to rise out through the front and pull air in from under the bottom of the shields. The shields don't block this area off completely, mainly just direct the heat when you are riding to exit lower instead of up on your thighs. This is really no different than other full faired bikes that have considerably more coverage in these areas.

I agree that the shield should not change the temps much underway or even when the bike is running still other then the fan may come on a bit quicker. I think it does add a few degrees to the area around the carbs when you shut down till it cools. This may be when it COULD heat the fuel or air bubbles in the lines making them expand. this COULD cause some "modified" fuel systems to have flow problems if you restart while still hot like for a short break. This is all guessing why "I" might have been having problems with my modified bike. I am still learning. Remember I started building heat dams about two years before you. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

Well, I got mine and did a test ride. I put one on the right side and left the left side off. My wife and I went on a 200 mile ride in 70 to 90 degree weather. I say you can definitely tell the difference. Much more heat was coming from the left and the right although still warm was by far cooler. We went on another ride (150 miles) with both on and 99 to 103 degree temps. I say it helped a little but at that temp everything is hot! All in all I am very happy with them. Thanks Brian for your work on these. Roman 2001 Concours California COG #8642

I bought a set of these from Brian at Fontana and installed them at Ranger Jim's before riding back to Florida. It was a nine hour ride and they did make a difference. I have ridden with them around town since then and haven't noticed any fuel temp related issues. They do make the bike much more bearable in hot weather. JMTCW Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Thanks for the feedback guys, and glad to hear you like em. The right side of the bike seems to be the hottest, with or without heat shields. I am not sure why that is, but must have something to do with how the air flows through. The radiator and pipes are fairly balanced side to side. Another fun experiment is to pull the petcock access plug and go for a ride to feel the JET of hot air coming out of the hole. Goatmar (I think) thought I should come up with a way to tap that heat and use it for wintertime riding. I think I will leave that project to someone else, but it is an interesting idea. No drain on the electrics, that's for sure!

My guess it the reason the engine heat seems worse on the right side is because of the cam chain area bump on the left side of the engine. I think this just make air flow right a bit more. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

Hey Brian -- Man, I just got back from a ten-day, 3,400-mile trip and I have to tell you: these heat shields made a big difference. Thanks so much! They held up beautifully. I kept a watchful eye on the temp gauge -- and when it was in the 80s and I was on the slab, the temp would read low. In the 90s, on the backroads and in traffic, the temp gauge would read right up the middle. Never seems to be elevated -- so that's great news. You did me a big favor by express shipping these dudes to me right before my trip and I never got a chance to say thanks. So, allow me to say it publicly: thanks, pal. Hope everything else is great. Eric 2001 Kawasaki Concours 1983 Honda Interceptor 1981 Honda CM-400 Custom

Hey Eric, I just saw this post. Thanks for nice comments, and I am really glad they made it to you in time for your trip! Brian

Dave, I have a few sets left for this season. email me at bp snow at hot mail dot com and tell me what year bike you have. I am gonna leave on a ride for a few days tomorrow, so don't expect a reply until early next week.

When I picked up my Connie in Alabama, it was HOT. After the sun went down I was wiring a power outlet onto my bike with a fan blowing on me and I was still swetting through my shirt. I wasn't really doing anything. I tell you, if I had to drive in that every day I'd either get some heat shields or a different bike. However up here in the Canadian prairies I sure appreciate the warmth most of the time. I can deal with the couple of weeks of extreme heat. Grizzly

Hey Grizz, I'm glad the heat stops at the border!! Down here in the south where I live (Minnesota) we have the dubious pleasure of both extreme heat and extreme cold.

2Fast said:
Back by popular demand! After quite a few email inquiries, I decided to get off my duff and make a new batch of heat shields. They are finally ready to go. If you want a set, ping me at bpsnow at hot mail dot com and I will hook you up. Same as last year, $85 including shipping. They are different for the pre and post 94's, so tell me what you have.  Brian

Any chance of getting these still for the 2011 heat season? I am new to the Concours with a 2006 I bought in October and while I have appreciated the warmth I think summer in Texas can use your help!

Any chance of getting these still for the 2011 heat season? I am new to the Concours with a 2006 I bought in October and while I have appreciated the warmth I think summer in Texas can use your help!

Hey Doug, good timing! Check this thread http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=81360.0

I you want to get em now, there is one discounted set left.

Brian