• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heated grips resistor broke off from wire

lprising

Tricycle
I'm afraid this is something more serious.

While trying to rewire the heated grips, one end of the ceramics resistor broke off from the wire right at it's body. Can I buy a new resistor anywhere or I am completely screwed?

(I was thinking of soldering on the wire again, but there is nothing left at the resistor's body, just a shiny dot where the connection used to be...).

Thanks for any tips in advance

Las

Sometimes it helps if you can explain more about your farkle problems. For example which type of heated grips? That way  people familiar with them might be quicker to convey answers that might apply better than general guesses. My first thought is Resistor? A fixed resistor on a system? A variable resistor for adjustable heat control? It being ceramic, I guessing fixed. In that case Willy probably has the right idea. Take an ohm mesurement and just go buy a new resistor, or one close in value. I know the Symtec grip heaters do not use external resistors from the factory. So I'm guessing that they are not symtecs.

the resistor is for the low setting.  I don't really feel mine on low, so leave it on high.  Just make sure the resistor can't short to the chassis.  Radio Shack as mentioned, otherwise a mailorder electronics supply.  Should only be a few bucks.

I believe the Kimpex used to use them.
Mark

SteveJ. said:
Or use a universal turn signal flasher. Fewer watts wasted, also.
8)

And that is exactly what I did - thank you for the excellent idea! Cost me all of some 3 bucks for a 2-prong flasher relay.
(I think I will use the same idea for my heated seat when I eventually come around it...).

Thanks for for the replies, everybody!

Ride Safe,

Las

WillyP said:
SteveJ. said:
Or use a universal turn signal flasher. Fewer watts wasted, also.

How many watts does a flasher waste?
No idea, solid state, probably negligible, mechanical, a few(?). They do not get nearly as hot as one of those resistors, so I would A$$ume less waste.

^-^

I can report that I have installed the flasher and it works perfectly.  :)

As for the power consumption, by my understanding, actually it uses less power than the original setup, because with the resistor the power draw was always full, even with the Low setting - the excess juice was used up by the resistor and converted to heat.

Thanks for the great tip again!

Ride Safe All,

Las

Las said:
^-^

I can report that I have installed the flasher and it works perfectly.  :)

As for the power consumption, by my understanding, actually it uses less power than the original setup, because with the resistor the power draw was always full, even with the Low setting - the excess juice was used up by the resistor and converted to heat.

Thanks for the great tip again!

Ride Safe All,

Las
Cool.