• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

heip i still can not get the 1987 to run

kevin

Training Wheels
1987 65000 miles is road in the weather started acting up in the fall startes hard got a lot of advice did this valve adj, cleaned carbs. tuneup, vacume lines. air cleaner, mitubishi ignition. got a spark plug tester i have spark the first 2 or 3 turns then it goes away turn the key off and back on no hzve spark 2 or 3 turns and then goes away

Make sure your battery is good, this time of year many batteries are soft as folks don't charge them over the winter, so they go flat and sulfate. if in doubt put some jump leads on it. The Battery has to crank the engine, light the headlight and make the spark its asking a lot for a battery thats not in good shape.

Kevin, Even though the battery is only a year old, it could still be the problem. Even the gel-cell batteries can sulfate if not kept charged as Colin said. If you have a voltmeter, try checking the battery voltage when you're cranking the engine. If I remember, it should not drop much below 11.5 volts. If the battery is good, stsrt checking your electrical connectors for any corrosion. I would especially check the ignitor (on the fender, under the seat) and the starter solenoid (under the left side cover). If you don't find anything, is there someone close by you that you could borrow another ignitor from? You could swap your's out and see if that solves the problem. My bet is that it's a connection problem; either a voltage or a ground. Good luck. Eddie COG Marketing Asst. Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Yes the 87 and 2000 electrics are the same. I had a similar issue to this when the pickup coils for the ignition were too far away from the ignition timing plate. Easy to check. I doubt this is the problem as if you have not been in there messing around they ought not to have moved. The ignition system senses the pulse as the tab on the plate swings past the pickup coil. If the gap is too big you will have an intermittent problem.