• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heli Bars VS Pull Back Risers

chefjfuzz

Hey, all.

I've recently developed some arthritic degeneration in my left shoulder. After a few hours in the seat, I get constant shooting pain from just above my elbow to the base of my neck. It is really putting a damper on my riding time. Once the pain starts, it can't be alleviated by hanging my arm or resting it on my tank bag; it just hurts constantly, no matter where my arm is. I've had ex-rays and have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to see if it can be fixed.

I currently have Murph's Pull-Back Risers and wedges on my 14, but I'm still putting too much weight on my wrists. (T-rex arms) What is the difference between my setup and the HeliBars? Will I be able to position the bars closer to me and higher with the HeliBars? How much farther towards me will the bars be compared to my current setup? Will I need to replace any lines? I want to be able to sit up straighter on the motorcycle for the long voyages.

I hope that if I can get the bars closer to me, I can avoid antagonizing the injury.

JPF

Chef, I went the same route with my c14 having come from a c10 that I had put helibars on after doing risers.

I'm 5'10" and have t rex arms as well (u should see me dance lol). Compressed disk in neck would be aggravated by yhe riding position. When I got my c14, a 2010 I picked up in 2015, its was 5he stock set up. So farkled up and went slow, 1.5 inch risers. Then tha AST set back plate, and lastly I added the wedges. I was very surprised by how this little sliver of metal changed the position. It was doable,.but not perfect. So I got lucky and found a used set of helibars, and all is well in my universe!

Yes they are completely adjustable forward/ backward, change the angles on the bars. The included brake and clutch line extensions are eezy peezy to install. I rerouted some of the wiring, but I don't believe it's totally necessary

Picture is with helibars on and adjusted for my comfort level.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for your response Konehead. I too am 5'10" with a 2010. Your physique looks similar to mine. I like that your back is straight. I think this may be the answer to my issue.

....once u get the position set, then ull be looking for a better seat! Lol

I also have the AST rider peg lowering kit on it. Helps with my bad knees. And 2 sets of highway pegs on her. I had started with a set mounted on the canyon cages, and then found a used set of Ronnie's pegs. The ergonomics works surprisingly well with Ronnie's, especially since ur only moving ur feet a couple inches forward. Wow what a difference. For me, it gives me options for stretching out my bad left knee..

Hmmm. I might could ride a c14 with a setup like that. There’s a nice one for sale at seemingly decent price close to me…. wait

“No honey I’m not gonna buy ANOTHER motorcycle”

🤣

....once u get the position set, then ull be looking for a better seat! Lol

I also have the AST rider peg lowering kit on it. Helps with my bad knees. And 2 sets of highway pegs on her. I had started with a set mounted on the canyon cages, and then found a used set of Ronnie's pegs. The ergonomics works surprisingly well with Ronnie's, especially since ur only moving ur feet a couple inches forward. Wow what a difference. For me, it gives me options for stretching out my bad left knee..
LOL, I have a bad left knee, too. We're like brothers from different mothers. I have the Seth Lamm seat with a Purple cushion under an Air-Flow seat cover. It's wonderful, I am never uncomfortable on it. I can ride all day on it.

LOL, I have a bad left knee, too. We're like brothers from different mothers. I have the Seth Lamm seat with a Purple cushion under an Air-Flow seat cover. It's wonderful, I am never uncomfortable on it. I can ride all day on it.
Lol, I've gone the full route on seats!! Currently using a kawasaki touring seat. Have a rdl that I bought second hand but it needs work . I bought a saddleman that's not too bad either and still have it. Bike came with the plank aka Sargeant that got replaced with a 2008 'gel' seat that sucked. Went corbin and put 10k Miles on it waiting for it to break in. Never did, but I did enjoy the lower seat height, until the meniscus tear.

Where are u located chef?

Lol, I've gone the full route on seats!! Currently using a kawasaki touring seat. Have a rdl that I bought second hand but it needs work . I bought a saddleman that's not too bad either and still have it. Bike came with the plank aka Sargeant that got replaced with a 2008 'gel' seat that sucked. Went corbin and put 10k Miles on it waiting for it to break in. Never did, but I did enjoy the lower seat height, until the meniscus tear.

Where are u located chef?
I got lucky with the Seth Lamm seat. I didn't need the Purple cushion and the Air-flow cover, but when It's 100 degrees out, it helps a lot. I'm out west in Anaheim, California.

I got lucky with the Seth Lamm seat. I didn't need the Purple cushion and the Air-flow cover, but when It's 100 degrees out, it helps a lot. I'm out west in Anaheim, California.
PS I ordered the Helibars. My 14 doesn't run as smoothly as it used to. Did you add Dampers to reduce vibration?

PS I ordered the Helibars. My 14 doesn't run as smoothly as it used to. Did you add Dampers to reduce vibration?
I installed heli bars on my C14 back in 2009. Best thing I ever did. I took have arthritis in both my shoulders and had carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. With this setup I can ride all day without much discomfort. I did get extended brake lines from Galfer. I didn't like the extensions it comes with, you can see them expand when you squeeze the brakes.

I installed heli bars on my C14 back in 2009. Best thing I ever did. I took have arthritis in both my shoulders and had carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. With this setup I can ride all day without much discomfort. I did get extended brake lines from Galfer. I didn't like the extensions it comes with, you can see them expand when you squeeze the brakes.
Gigantor, I am definitely installing these for next year. Do you happen to have record of the lines your ordered from Galfer? Also, I am a little intimidated when it comes to switching out the heated grips. Am I making a bigger deal about it than it is?

It's nothing to swap out the grips over to the helibars.... dont sweat it..
Are the instructions clear and effective? I have never removed heated grips before and I am concerned about screwing up the heating elements.

Last edited:
The biggest pita of the whole job is getting the hydraulics bled out. I love my helibars.
Hi Bud! I change my hydro fluids every couple years at minimum or before a long trip. Always running fresh fluids so bleeding lines is no problem. Glad to hear that is the biggest pita.

Hi Bud! I change my hydro fluids every couple years at minimum or before a long trip. Always running fresh fluids so bleeding lines is no problem. Glad to hear that is the biggest pita.
It's a different ball game when you open the system and install the line extensions. Hopefully you are better at it than me. I didn't enjoy that part.

It's a different ball game when you open the system and install the line extensions. Hopefully you are better at it than me. I didn't enjoy that part.
Yeah, I can see that for sure. Your are right. I wonder if I should just change the lines while I am at it.

If that's something in your future, I would do that. I've read about too many people struggling with bleeding once it's been opened up.

When I bought my '15 C14, I started with stock bars, then AST bar risers for a year and then bought Heli bars for my C14 but never used them. Turns out I like the stock set up best.

I still have them. They are still in the box.
I should find them and post them for sale.

Found!

Attachments

• BOX1.jpg
    BOX1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16
  • BOX2.jpg
    BOX2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: