• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from Michigan

triplehooked

Training Wheels
Hello all,
My name is Travis and I've been riding since about 12 years old. Started out in the mountains of Kentucky riding dirt bikes and enduro's and worked my way into street machines. I've been in Michigan for the past 20 years but have family that lives in Gatlinburg. I'm thinking the tail of the dragon looks fun on a Connie! I'm a prospective buyer of a Concours and wanted to drop in and say hello and gather some info. on the bike. Please take a peek at my thread on the 03 Connie I'm looking to buy and tell me what you think.

Hello and welcome Travis. I actually found your other thread first. I think you'll find the Concours is a great bike. And of course this group that is on this site comes with it. The actual Concours Owners Group is a club that was started for Concours riders, but has evolved into a mainly Concours, but most bikes are welcome type of club. Some of the members have moved on to other bikes, but remain a member of the club, because of the people.
If and when you acquire your 03 C10 (original Concours 1000). You find lots of help and information on here from a great group of people. Then if you  decide that you would like to be an actual member of the club. You would of course be welcome. Check out the link below and see some of the benefits of COG membership, and feel welcome to come aboard.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=16270

Hi Travis - Welcome to the COG forum.  There is some great basic info about the Concours on our main pages in the Common Question section:
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=13533

You can search the forum to see if there are answers to other questions you may have. If not, just post and someone will try to provide an answer.

Tail of the Dragon is fun on any bike.  Just be careful if you have not ridden that area before. The Dragon has been known to bite. 

Welcome to the forum Travis.  I hope you find the Connie to be the mount you're looking for.  She is certainly able and willing and the one you're looking at (since you like em broke to start out) sounds like a winner.  I too have purchased three wrecked/burned/rotten Concours and repaired them.  They are great bikes and doing the repairs at the onset gives you knowledge of the bike before you actually start stacking up miles.  Plastic IS expensive, but repairable in most cases.  Good luck and have fun.

Welcome Travis (my high school friend, son's middle and first grandsons name by the way!)
I bought my 06 this past Oct in pristine condition for quite a bit more, knowing what I know now and having been on this site a while and with the member benefits and passion of this group in keeping the Connie alive..... Since it's such a beat up old piece of wreckage I would consider it a total waste of time... once again.. where was it? Got a phone # so I can call and give him a piece of my busin... oops MIND.. >:D

I low speed dropped mine and fixed some of the plastic with glue and a soldering iron and will ride till I won't be able too, then I will pull the upper to fix the fairing crack at the mirror.. all fairly easy.  A big concern most have warned me about (and expensive) is to CAREFULLY inspect the mount and hardware for the drop side footpeg, as a failure on that when weighted over R/R tracks or some similar situation would really be ugly!

Best of luck with it and just know there is a great support group and the bike is an anvil.. especially after carb overfows.. (another soon to add necessity)