• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from Norwalk, CT

dominick.rongone5627

Free Limited Trial
Free Limited Trial
Hello COG folk, I'm Dominick in Norwalk, CT (originally and proudly from Cleveland, OH). I just picked up a 1994 Concours (older than I am, lol) a few weeks ago for $1700 after I just sold my last bike and telling myself I didn't have the space. Last bike was a Honda Shadow Aero and I started on a Suzuki GZ250. The Concours is a bit of change of pace for me, but I'm looking forward to riding some longer distances and hopefully do some camping with it!

I've been trying to do my research and I have to say, there's tons of info on these forums and it's been very helpful to me learning how to get some maintenance done. I am currently working through fluid changes and swapping the tires (the rear has it's mfg date in 2001, which is when I was in preschool :p). Last owner didn't leave me with a lot of details on maintenance, so I'm trying to be a bit cautious. Looking forward to doing some rides with you guys in the future and looking forward to any tips y'all might have for me on making sure I get many, many miles out there.

Here's a couple pics I took in my garage since I haven't been out on any long trips yet. Ignore the wire holding the side fairings on, I'm working on it :).
IMG_20230722_183718067.jpg
IMG_20230722_183726360_HDR.jpg

Welcome!
I bought a 2006 a few years ago. Really like it. Been camping a few times on it.
There is a TON of tech experience on here.
Just ask.
Also, check Youtube for how to videos on the C10 by Steve Sefsick / Shoodabeen engineering.
The biggest concern is hydro lock engine damage - ( bent rod due to combo of leaky petcock and carb)
Otherwise these things are pretty much bullet proof.
Hope to see at a Rally.
Best Regards
Bob

Welcome... right after reading this, u need to go to the northeast calendar of upcoming events. They do alot of events and what better way to gather some intel on what others have done and meet some of what could.be ur newest best friends.

Back when I had my 98 and did alot of camping, I mounted some hold downs on my saddlebags, so that I could bunjie my gear to the seat.. I also had a Givi trunk with a luggage rack so I had plenty of storage and points of contact for strapping stuff down..

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys, I will definitely be looking out for some rides to join on. I really wanted to join the ride to the Catskills, Steve, but I had just bought the bike and didn't want to ride on a bald front tire and who knows how old oil, coolant, etc.

The biggest concern is hydro lock engine damage - ( bent rod due to combo of leaky petcock and carb)
I have seen this floated around a lot on the forum, is there an easy way to check the carbs and petcock?

Back when I had my 98 and did alot of camping, I mounted some hold downs on my saddlebags, so that I could bunjie my gear to the seat.. I also had a Givi trunk with a luggage rack so I had plenty of storage and points of contact for strapping stuff down..
I will be looking into some luggage options since the guy I bought it from didn't have the original saddle bags. Thanks for the tips! Do you have any pictures of what it looked like for inspiration?

For the hydro lock questions, see Steves video on YouTube.
The best prevention is to install drain tubes in the float bowels.
I had Steve do it when he serviced my carbs a couple years ago.

I have an extras set of C10 saddle bags, and a 40 liter Givi trunk I would part with.
I bought an unused set of bags on here last year, and got a larger trunk for Christmas :)

BUT. I'm in Ohio. shipping costs could be prohibitive.
And one of the bags has some scratches from a lay down / may not want it.
Also, if you don't have them, you will need "antlers"( the metal rails that they mount on).

I could bring the stuff to the national rally in WV next year if you're still in need / interested
cheers
Bob

I have seen this floated around a lot on the forum, is there an easy way to check the carbs and petcock?

I will be looking into some luggage options since the guy I bought it from didn't have the original saddle bags. Thanks for the tips! Do you have any pictures of what it looked like for inspiration?

IMHO root cause of hydrolock is a failed fuel valve, but also requires the float valve to overfill the bowls for fuel to enter cylinders to become an issue.
Checking the fuel valve is as simple as removing the fuel line and see if the valve allows fuel to flow or drip when the engine is off.

Oem saddlebags... note the hold down hooks.for.attaching bungee hooks. Believe I got them aerostich.com. yes u have to drill a hole. Had a.rubber washer. I.never had them leak. Like them so.much i put them on my c14.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_14444182587881.jpg
    ResizedImage_14444182587881.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 56
I have an extras set of C10 saddle bags, and a 40 liter Givi trunk I would part with.
I bought an unused set of bags on here last year, and got a larger trunk for Christmas :)

BUT. I'm in Ohio. shipping costs could be prohibitive.
Thank you for the heads up. I have a couple of ideas for some custom saddlebags but if they don't pan out, maybe I'll send you a message next time I'm out to see my folks in Cleveland.
IMHO root cause of hydrolock is a failed fuel valve, but also requires the float valve to overfill the bowls for fuel to enter cylinders to become an issue.
Checking the fuel valve is as simple as removing the fuel line and see if the valve allows fuel to flow or drip when the engine is off.
Great advice! Seems simple enough, I'll try to give it a check and see if it's leaking. I'll definitely look into overflows as maybe a winter project.
Oem saddlebags... note the hold down hooks.for.attaching bungee hooks. Believe I got them aerostich.com. yes u have to drill a hole. Had a.rubber washer. I.never had them leak. Like them so.much i put them on my c14.
Those look slick. Only noticed them because of Bob's picture above. Another thing added to the list!