• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from Utah

rcannon409

I'm Roland Cannon, 46 years old and I live in Utah. I started riding at 6, and never quite grew up enough to stop.

As far as the law is concerned, I started street riding when I was 16...but probably closer to 14.  That was on a kz650.  Moved up to a xs11 yamaha after that.  Many dirt bikes owned as well.

My younger brother died last year and I pretty much used the bikes as a way to make me want to live...to look forward to something, anything.  With the long winters in Utah, that sometimes meant taking a bike down to the bare frame for cleaning. Put it back together the next night.  Repeat process the next week to avoid going crazy..  Once the ice was off the roads, that feeling of freedom returned.  Its easy to worry about whats going on in life, but when the faceshield clicks, your brain had better be concentrating on whats in front of you. No time to feel sadness, guilt, and anger over what you truly never had control  of anyway...

Somewhere along the line, my wife of 22 years decided to go for  a ride on the back of the sv 650.  She loved it and came home the next day with a stack of gear from the local shop.  I've done enough to the sv to make it a nice handling sportbike (horrible stock suspension) but soon realized it was not the perfect choice for two up rides over 20 miles.

That brings me back to the c14 I just bought.  I've had it exactly one week and have found a way to put 700 miles on it.  That's while working and providing daily care for my mother who is homebound with MS.  Actually, that's why I needed the high speed touring bike..to make it the 12 miles, round trip, to her house!

Welcome and congrats on your new C14 Roland!  :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and please accept my condolences. You sound like a stand up guy taking care of what needs to be with your family. Your stock just went up with me!  :)

Anyway, welcome to the world of the Concours and COG!  8)

Bob, thank you. The death of my brother has been almost impossible to deal with.  In all honesty, I believe these motorcycles have keep me on the good side of sanity....not that I was way over the line in the first place, but still.

Hi Roland, Another Bob here to welcome you.  It is good to hear that you are taking care of family and have found the sanity saving side of riding, not the insane side.  As they say you never see a motorcycle in front of the Psychiatric office.

Hi Jordan. Utah is an amazingly beautiful State. Combine that with a C14 and I'm sure you'll have the best 'therapy' in the world! See you around!

smithr-scad said:
Hi Roland, Another Bob here to welcome you.  It is good to hear that you are taking care of family and have found the sanity saving side of riding, not the insane side.  As they say you never see a motorcycle in front of the Psychiatric office.

Great point....besides, that motorcycle makes co-pay's impossible to pay.....its the choice between a co-pay or an oil filter.....