• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

HELMET CHOICES

keithg

Moped
Time for a new helmet. My RX7 Corsair is 6+ years old and is quite noisy when i raise the windshield to the highest spot.  My son tells me the SHOEI RF1100 is quiet and priced at $400.

Lots of good choices out there that have Snell or equivalent rating. Proper fit and comfort should be consideration. I recently got a Scorpion EXO1000, and loving it,

I bought a Shoei X-11 closeout last year for under $300.00.

They are few and far between anymore, but if you have a medium or xxl head then perhaps this might help.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/shoei_x-eleven+helmet+-+tamada

S Smith said:
Lots of good choices out there that have Snell or equivalent rating. Proper fit and comfort should be consideration. I recently got a Scorpion EXO1000, and loving it,
:iagree:

This is 38th year of riding so I am familiar with fit,SNELL,etc.
What is a quiet helmet that you folks recommend or wear now?  My son worked for Cycle Gear and is familiar with all brands BUT has been with Oakley for the last 3 years so there have been new designs come out.  Not price shopping just looking for the happy combination of quiet with some ventilation.

I like and own a bunch of helmets. I have both 100E and 103 Nolan's. I like them both. I have a multitech Shoei. And I just bought an HJC IS MAX BT. I like them all but I think the HJC seems to fit me the best. But now I hear concerns about the chin bar being able to open if you fall just right on the chin.  ???

I'm using a Nolan that i brought at the NY show .. Its nice took some getting used to when i was riding a HD & BMW i wore a Shoie st-cruz which i really liked .. I'm thinking of picking the same one up for warmer riding.. I did try on the Schuberth helmet at the NY show didn't really like it... but hey i didn't like the Nolan either ...lol

I use a Shark Evoline. It's not the quietest helmet but I like the fact the chinbar rotates all the way back letting you wear it as either a full face or an open face helmet. The newer models support Shark's bluetooth setup (Sharktooth) so I'll probably switch to the new model once I'm ready for a new helmet.

Go to a shop and put on helmets and find out what fits your scull best.

I ADORE my RF1100.  Shoei fits my head perfectly.  It's plenty quiet.  But I also wear ear plugs.

I'm on my second X-11.  I got a closeout deal,too. It is the quietest helmet I've ever seen. 

I ride with a Bell Vortex and ear plugs. the helmet is DOT and Snell certified and along with the optional Bell transition visor (works great gets very dark in bright sunlight) I paid only $279. 00 ($179 for the helmet and $100 for the optional visor). You can't beat it at twice the price. Shoie and Aria are much more expensive with not the same quality and performance. If you're looking for a modular they also make the Bell Revolver which uses the same quick release visor system that will accept the transition visor for the Bell Star and Bell Vortex.

How's the venting on the Quest compared to the RF1100?  Just looking at it, I can't believe it's as good.

Has anyone tried the new Bell Revolver yet?  It looks pretty promising.  Check this link out  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xAa_5yyQI

I'm a big fan of Shoei.  I got a good deal on a closeout RF-1000. (Which was a good upgrade from my old RF-700)  Depending on where you live, or the weather you ride in, get a "pin lock" shield.

Phil, I got a nolan modular with sun shade last Friday from the closest Kaw dealer. $318. Good fit but verry noisey. No refunds once I left the store. So much for loyality......blanton

JD Cunningham said:
Has anyone tried the new Bell Revolver yet?  It looks pretty promising.  Check this link out  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xAa_5yyQI
The Revolver is my next helmet. I picked up my Bell Vortex a month before the Bell Revolver debuted. Wish I would have waited.

The Revolver is my next helmet. I picked up my Bell Vortex a month before the Bell Revolver debuted. Wish I would have waited.
[/quote]

The thing that stopped me from considering the Revolver is the mechanism for the drop down visor, it would prevent me from using my Scala communication system. Otherwise, for their first attempt at a modular, and with only a few tweaks, it looks like a winner to me.:bravo_2:  Very good price too. :s_good:

Froggz said:
The thing that stopped me from considering the Revolver is the mechanism for the drop down visor, it would prevent me from using my Scala communication system. Otherwise, for their first attempt at a modular, and with only a few tweaks, it looks like a winner to me.:bravo_2:  Very good price too. :s_good:

I have the Bell Transitions Photochromatic Visor on my Vortex and I would transfer it to the Revolver. So the drop down visor won't get used at all. The Bell SolFX visor rocks! gets really dark smoke and shields the eyes in direct sunlight just fine.

What happens when you enter a tunnel with that dark visor?  My transition  prescription glasses make it sooooo dark in tunels!  ???

Not sure what to do about transition lenses.  Can you look over them?  I usually just flip the dark visor up. 

What I found helps even more is to shut one eye before you go in.  Usually that makes seeing better when you open up both eyes just as you enter.

oldsawfiler said:
What happens when you enter a tunnel with that dark visor?  My transition  prescription glasses make it sooooo dark in tunels!  ???
it hasn't been an issue for me as of yet. The one tunnel I did get into the transition adjusted fairly quickly; but it was a lighted tunnel and ultimately wasn't that dark going in.

I just tilt me head down and look over the top of the glasses for the short bit. Sometimes, I may slide them down my nose just a bit. But I do not need corrective lens for riding. So I'm nit sure how it may effect someone who does need them!

depending on how much the faceshield is up versus down, I find my transition glasses dont change that much.  With the helmet it seems easy enough to flip it open while in the tunnel. And probably dont have to worry too much about rain in there. Bugs cant tell you.

I just bought a new helmet.  It is http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-hyperx/review.htm  I wanted a modular helmet, but when I read this review and did some online research and decided to get it.  It does have the option of buying there bluetooth integrated set up, but I decided to get http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/sena-smh10-part-2.htm 

The wind noise is average, but the big selling point was the visibility.  It is outstanding.  Plus the helmet is light weight.

Mike, I have a pair of the senas and love em :)
Did not care for the speakers so bought the base that you use your own ear buds with.

I'm very happy with my Schuberth C2.  I added the collar-mounted blue tooth communication system, which works very well.  Cardo did a good job on this add on.  The only thing it does not have is a pin lock visor, unfortunately.  Not enough of a problem for me to get a C3 just yet.

I recently bought an Arai Corsair 5.  Apparently you get plenty of noise with the extravagant price tag.  I was told  that it would be a little louder due to the extensive venting system but it exceeded my expectations.  Naturally I put a scratch on it after a couple hundred miles so it's mine now.  It could have something to do with the max extended height of the 2010 Connies windshield so I'm currently waiting for my new, taller windshield to arrive.  I'm only 5'9" and was a little surprised that at full height the wind was only deflected to the very top of my visor.  I should say that I have raised the bars 1-3/8" which puts me slightly more vertical and probably doesn't help with the wind.
For now... earplugs it is. (probably a good idea anyway)

How about scorpion EXO 1000?
Anybode tryed it ... they are coming with new model so old Exo 1000 runs about $200 now. Should I consider?
Thanks

Before you buy any helmet, and ESPECIALLY if you order one online you should make every attempt to try one on for sizing.
Annoying perhaps for the dealer or bike store, so bring some online quotes to give them the chance to negotiate.

Also, different helmets are shaped differently, it would be wise to discover what shape your particular head is before spending the bucks.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/  does very good helmet reviews, with excellent ratings for helmet shapes, noise, quality, etc.

I really liked the graphics of the EXO 1000 Scorpion RPM series helmet, but after checking it out at the dealer, came away less than impressed.
The Shoei Qwest is much favored at WebBikeWorld, so I checked it out.
It's definitely a fantastic helmet to try on, but I think the graphics are terrible.
The Shoei 1100 is also an incredible helmet, and also gets very good reviews.

My own decision was to purchase an inexpensive helmet for now, in hopes that the Qwest will come out next year with improved graphics.
So, with that in mind I went back to WebBikeWorld and reviewed some of the less expensive, but well rated models.

The Gmax 68s won helmet of the year back in '07 (iirc), so off to another dealership to try one on.
Holy crap batman, what an incredible helmet for $100.
I missed out on the Crusader graphics since it's been discontinued, but they have other decent graphics to choose from.
Tons of ventilation, and I'm just amazed at how well this helmet performs.

Remember though, if your head is not shaped like mine you will probably disagree with my choices.
If your head is more oval shaped, different helmet choices will fit you better (ie: Arai and Scorpion).
If you wear glasses, some helmets will simply not be comfortable.

Transition lenses do not work if you are behind UV treated material.
Most helmet shields are UV protected.
This is also why your transition lenses don't work in the car (auto glass is UV blocking).

Shoei Quest if I was looking for a full face. I just ordered a Nolan N90. Wanted to try a flip-up. Sharp testing site gave it four stars and the chin bar stayed locked 100% of the time. The Quest received a five star rating.

S Smith said:

+1..  same here..  I like the helmet, and actually do like the interior sun shade device..  nice to have when you need a little air and the sun is bright..

I picked up a Shark Evoline over the weekend and am very happy with it so far.  It's the older model (not the current 2 ST) so it isn't setup for their SharkTooth system, but that really isn't a concern for me.  I went this route because I wanted a modular that gave me the option of riding with it open on those super hot/muggy days to get more air, and as far as I know this is the only modular on the market that will allow this w/o having to swap parts (i.e. the Scorpion EXO-900).

Their fit seems to run a little on the large size though, so be forewarned.  I typically wear a medium, but ended up buying a small.  The cheeks are a little tight so I'll probably order some smaller replacement pads.  This is my first full-face helmet in years so I don't have anything to compare it to in terms of noise, but it does have a bit of wind noise.  My short 09 windscreen doesn't help matters as the air stream at the highest setting hits me right below the eyes, so I'll report back once my VStream shield arrives.

About the only thing weird about it is that the lift tab on the visor is at the top center rather than along the bottom.  The front vent is right above it when closed and it's hard to tell which your finger is on while riding. 

I just recently picked up a new Bell Revolver and am very pleased with it.  The sizing is right on, at least for me.  I ordered a large and it fits like a glove.  The venting is good, the drop down sun shade is really nice, and it looks better in my opinion than any other flip face out there right now. Can't really speak to the noise very much because I am behind a pretty good size windshield.  However, I did try it out for a little bit with the shield all the way down and it seemed OK noise wise. 

After many years, I'm in the market for a new helmet. Absolutely at the top of my list is noise suppression. A close second is long term comfort.

In looking at reviews, the comments on noise are mostly subjective and really do not describe the environment in which a helmet succeeds or fails in the noise department. Webbike worls makes an attempt to quantify the noise but eyes glaze over with all of the charst and graphs and this statement:

"There are many variables that can cause helmet noise, including helmet design, motorcycle design, weather (i.e., cross winds), turbulence and also the configuration of the motorcycle's fairing or windscreen. Some helmets are intrinsically quieter than others, either due to their design, the liner, the aerodynamics or how the helmet fits the rider's head."

Fundamentally, I believe it is the responsibility of the helmet manufaturers to do their level best at noise attenuation, both in decibel levels and harmful frequencies. I can get any one of dozens of electronic ear muffs for shooting that do an outstanding job at protecting my ears from harmful noise, why can't the helmet manufaturers go electronic with something that is specific to the noises created by turbulence around a windshield? Retractable ear muffs with electronic noise suppression would be the beez neez. Have it owner adjustable as to frequencies and attenuation levels that suit the unique environment of the riders head shape, position in the windstream and windshield turbulence and you have a sophisticated system that is tailored to the individual motorcyclist.

I would pay good money for a helmet that I could customize to my situation, otherwise it is a stackup of compromises.

Next is comfort, long term comfort. My current HJC is the most comfortable helmet I've owned but it is weraing out and has a pressure spot on my upper forhead. I can't go more than two or three hours without a major pain in the forehead. So fit, padding and long term comfort are essential. Most helmets have washable removable liners which is great but I don't want to have to do the "mash a dent in the foam" exercise again.

It would certainly be nice if they had custom fitting of helmets like they used to do with ski boots. They could have a set of foam liners that could come in various shapes and thicknesses so the helmet could be fitted at the place of purchase by someone trained to assist. Or even take it to the next level and have it foam filled to the shape of your head. Wear a padded plastic bag over your head, put on a helmet shell and shoot it full of polyurethane foam. Remove the helmet, chose a custom pad set that completes the fit and there you go.

My wife would like a helmet that is split along a fore and aft vertical line, with a hinge at the center top so it can be put on with ease and closed like a clamshell. Good idea, especially for women who have hair needs that are different than most men. This shape would allow an undercut under the sides of the head and the chin that could be used for wind and buffeting protection (as well as comfort in extreme cold).

Oh well, dream on I guess.

Dan

8) I just got an AFX FX-95 after going through all the reviews on webbikeworld and I could not be happier. Fits great, flows lots of air, quiet and a cool and sake bright yellow. Verry nice ratcheting strap.

If you havent checked out http://www.webbikeworld.com you are missing out on a great source of info.

OK than so I went to do my homework.
After few weeks of reading I am pretty much down to Arai (because I have a HUGE Round Head ) or this new European Hyper X ...
                              http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-hyperx/review.htm .
First choice is a product of my “head condition” – again BIG AND ROUND …
I was looking at Scorpion 1000 – does not fit , also Shoei (RF-1100, Quest) – too narrow.
Second choice  …. I am using “el cheapo” open helmet right now – like the air around my face. I am bit concern about safe factor + I have no way to try Hyper X before I order it from Europe.
I am concern about weight (want to be somewhere around 1600 gr) … I have to little boys at home want to make sure I protect myself.
Arai RXQ is the top line full face from what I know … and should fit me. It is also $500.00+. Does anybody know more that webbike.com about HyperX. What is your take on it. Would you even consider (no DOT) … again I like the open face, sun visor …  – but is it safe enough. I know it sounds silly – there is many other way that helmet is not covering to go down. Plus it is pretty personal to get the right fit. Should I just find $500 and buy RXQ so I can use it for a while?
I will welcome your comments.
Thanks

bartecki said:
OK than so I went to do my homework.
After few weeks of reading I am pretty much down to Arai (because I have a HUGE Round Head ) or this new European Hyper X ...
                              http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-hyperx/review.htm .
First choice is a product of my “head condition” – again BIG AND ROUND …
I was looking at Scorpion 1000 – does not fit , also Shoei (RF-1100, Quest) – too narrow.
Second choice  …. I am using “el cheapo” open helmet right now – like the air around my face. I am bit concern about safe factor + I have no way to try Hyper X before I order it from Europe.
I am concern about weight (want to be somewhere around 1600 gr) … I have to little boys at home want to make sure I protect myself.
Arai RXQ is the top line full face from what I know … and should fit me. It is also $500.00+. Does anybody know more that webbike.com about HyperX. What is your take on it. Would you even consider (no DOT) … again I like the open face, sun visor …  – but is it safe enough. I know it sounds silly – there is many other way that helmet is not covering to go down. Plus it is pretty personal to get the right fit. Should I just find $500 and buy RXQ so I can use it for a while?
I will welcome your comments.
Thanks

I looked long and hard at the Hyper X write up myself. That is one fine looking helmet, very well designed. I'm not too concerned about lack of certs (it is highly unlikely that a new helmet would be designed and released in this day and age that was not in compliance, just a matter of time for submittal, testing and certification). I am just concerned about Europe only sourcing.

If you have any problems (parts break or need replacing) or if you need a new face shield, how difficult would it be to get customer service? Also, how would you know if whatever size you choose would fit you properly? It is much more than the stated size (XXL or whatever), it is the shape of the shell and the position and type of all the padding, etc.

I am very interested in the Hyper X but I will need to try one on before committing. In fact I'm in the market right now for a complete riding gear upgrade (helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots, etc.) but I will go to a fully equipped shop to try everything on before buying.

Dan

Yep ... I did send an email to factory asking when will they enter the US market. I have seen that somewhere ... but no answer yet.
I know that there is some helmets in country already .. If I could just see and try those  ^-^.

Well, I paid a visit to my favorite motorcycle gear supply store (Road Riders in San Jose, California) and ended up buying $1,200.00 worth of gear (New Tour Master riding jacket, TM mesh jacket, TM mesh pants, gloves, boots and gloves for the wife and a new helmet for me).

After trying on several helments of various sizes I ended up with a Shoei RF-1100. This helmet fit my head as though it was custom made, no perceivable pressure points. They did not have the color I wanted so I had to order it. I also had to order both jackets and the pants, either because my size or color was not on the rack.

The gear should arrive before the end of this next week so i will post a review when I do a test ride. The salesguy I talked to about the helmet rides behind a similar faring/windshield setup I do and is very noise concsious. He wers an RF-1100 and really talked up the quietness of this helmet over others.

We'll see.

Dan

Bergmen said:
Well, I paid a visit to my favorite motorcycle gear supply store (Road Riders in San Jose, California) and ended up buying $1,200.00 worth of gear (New Tour Master riding jacket, TM mesh jacket, TM mesh pants, gloves, boots and gloves for the wife and a new helmet for me).

After trying on several helmets of various sizes I ended up with a Shoei RF-1100. This helmet fit my head as though it was custom made, no perceivable pressure points. They did not have the color I wanted so I had to order it. I also had to order both jackets and the pants, either because my size or color was not on the rack.

The gear should arrive before the end of this next week so i will post a review when I do a test ride. The salesguy I talked to about the helmet rides behind a similar faring/windshield setup I do and is very noise concsious. He wers an RF-1100 and really talked up the quietness of this helmet over others.

We'll see.

Dan

Nice;

If I could just loose about 200 pounds I could go get some nice riding gear. Maybe that should be my goal, hit 250 get a whole set of armour riding gear. At least my head is somewhat normal size so I was able to get a helmet no problem :))
I do love my bright yellow helmet though.

Froggz said:
How about the new Nolan N90, has anyone tried this one on the road yet? I'm considering this one myself. :sign0085:
I ended up getting the N90 3-4 weeks ago. Let me start by saying this is the first modular I've ever had, so noise wise I can't compare to others, but I do find it a bit noisier than my Shoei 1000. So, for those looking at modulars I'm very pleased with it, the quality and finish is top notch, my only small complaint would be the inner visor (Top Gun style) that is developping scratches towards the middle, but it's not interfering with my vision so far, maybe it can be adjusted I'm not sure. 

Mike said:
  I just bought a new helmet.  It is http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-hyperx/review.htm  I wanted a modular helmet, but when I read this review and did some online research and decided to get it.  It does have the option of buying there bluetooth integrated set up, but I decided to get http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/sena-smh10-part-2.htm 

The wind noise is average, but the big selling point was the visibility.  It is outstanding.  Plus the helmet is light weight.

Hi Mike,
How are you liking your Caberg? Still happy as a clam? Need a new helmet and I really like the features and concept. Any input would be appreciated.

I have had my RF-1100 for 3 years. Got it the month they came out. Easy to care for and the liner pulls out and is replaceable. The helmet will take a headset with little mods. Overall I am pleased with it and would buy it again. RF-11000 is a improvement over the RF-1000 I had before .

For the Qwest users- how are you making out so far? I'm going to get a "good" helmet soon and I'm between this one and the Arai Vector 2.

I read the webbikeworld review on the Qwest, but many of the people who replied to the review disagreed with the noise level rating, saying it was a very noisy helmet. The main thing I'm trying to do is reduce the wind noise while still having adequate ventilation and a somewhat lighter helmet than the 2 HJC's that I have now.

I have worn just about every model of helmet in my 40+ years of riding.

Currently I have a Schuberth C3 with C3 SRC commo system built-in, and its by far the best helmet I've ever had. Pricey, but worth every penny. Super quiet, super comfortable, you feel like you have a soft lined glove for your head sort of thing. I can hear my mp3 and gps perfectly inside, no wind noise even on my noisy ZX14.

DanL said:
For the Qwest users- how are you making out so far? I'm going to get a "good" helmet soon and I'm between this one and the Arai Vector 2.

I read the webbikeworld review on the Qwest, but many of the people who replied to the review disagreed with the noise level rating, saying it was a very noisy helmet. The main thing I'm trying to do is reduce the wind noise while still having adequate ventilation and a somewhat lighter helmet than the 2 HJC's that I have now.

DanL, I too read those posts, but pulled the trigger on the Qwest based on discussions with the folks at my local Cycle Gear. I'm not sure what some of the reviewers were comparing the Qwest to, because I find it extremely quiet when compared to my prior choices, but hey, maybe they were just bad choices :-[

One thing that to me seems important on noise level is the fit. Honestly, it took me a while to get used to the Qwest because it is much snugger than any other helmet I've owned, but now that it has been "seasoned" if feels perfect. As a result, there isn't a lot of wind leaking into gaps. I wear ear plugs 99% of time anyway, and when combined with this superior helmet, I find it to be the best I've found.

FYI - based on reviews, I seriously considered the Schubert, and I understand you get what you pay for, but man, they are pricey and I could not justify spending twice what I paid for the Shoei. Just my .02.

Thanks for the info Dalroo. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. I was up at Cyclegear yesterday and tried on both the large (which I've tried on several times now) and I also tested out a medium. The large fit well, tighter than my HJC that is well worn in but is comfortable. I'm not sure that it wouldn't be too big after a while as it gets broken in- I think my HJC is a little too big because of that too. The medium was pretty tight but might fit well after it breaks in some. It was tight enough that I don't think I'd enjoy wearing it for an extended time though. The medium might work if you can change out the pads to adjust the fit, but I think I'll do the large since it didn't feel like my head was in a press.

I just bought one of these
http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?modele=EVOLINE%20SERIE%202%20MOOVIT%20Mat%20-ST%20Black%20Orange%20Black&sous_gamme=EVOLINE&gamme=The%20SHARK%20Urban%20range&reference_modele=HE9174EKOK&langue=UNITED%20KINGDOM%20UNITED%20KINGDOM%20-%20English

It's been tested with the chin bar in the up position to 120Mph with no issues.
I can't comment on noise level as I haven't ridden with it yet due to snowfall but it can hardly be noisier than my old helmet.
It's comfy and I like the fact that the clear and sun visors can both be lowered with the chinpiece locked in the "up" position.
Yes, it means less protection for your chin but means you get some cooling air in the summer with the visor down.
I chose the matt-black & orange colour scheme because it matches "Otto".  :Woot_Emoticon: