• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet Recoomendations

lfaber

Big Wheel
I am thinking of getting back on a bike after a long hiatus. That being said I am dumbfounded at the helmet technology out there. Can anyone point me to some good resources in terms of brand recommendations, "dos" and "don'ts" etc...?

Totally overwhelmed at the moment!

:eek:

Go to a live store and find out which brands fit your head.  Now go to the bank and take out the money you think your head is worth.  Go online and find the helmet you like best for your amount of money and find the lowest price.  Go back to the store and talk them into selling the one you like and fits to you at the online price.

I have a hard to fit head, and most of the top named helmets are uncomfortable to me.  For years I have been wearing the Fulmer Flip and their 3/4 helmet.  The system helmet is a bit heavy, but it is the most comfortable helmet I have yet to find for me.

You have to try them on...there is so much difference in our head shapes, and just as much difference in helmet shapes and comfort.
A good retailer will know who makes what and can direct you to a good fit. Wear the helmet for at least a few minutes.
I bought a very expensive Scorpion full face online because the sale price was too good to resist. Even though the size was good, it was was a different shape than my head and hurt after just a few minutes. Ended selling it on ebay at a loss.
My current HJC has a rounder shell to fit my fat head, very comfortable, and has the flip down inside sun shield, very convenient.
my .02

smithr-scad said:
Go to a live store and find out which brands fit your head.  Now go to the bank and take out the money you think your head is worth.  Go online and find the helmet you like best for your amount of money and find the lowest price.  Go back to the store and talk them into selling the one you like and fits to you at the online price.

Does he have to put his left foot in, then his left foot out.... first?  :nananana:

I have to agree. Try as many on as you can. Walk around with it on for about 10 minutes. Yes 10 minutes is required to make sure it does not present any pressure points that will bug the crap out of you.  Once you have established the brand, model nad most importantly the fit, then do some research on the pricing and take your business back to the LBS (local bike shop) that will service your needs and buy the hat from them.

Thanks everyone for the great advice (and humor). You guys are a great bunch - to be sure!

I will do what is suggested... Look -- try - walk around - get price - check online - negotiate - buy... My coconut is worth it!

I have 2 helmets

A Shoei RF-1100 and a GMax 54s.

The Shoei is 3x more expensive, and worth every penny.  Quiet, well vented, and
a great fit make this my 'Goto' helmet.

The Gmax is a modular helmet, that fits nice, is quite comfortable and has lots
of nice features (integrated sun shield is a personal favorite) but I have been
on a bridge on a very windy day, and had to slow down to 50 mph to stop my
head from shaking apart from buffeting.

You get what you pay for I guess.  Similar conditions on the same bridge, and
the Shoei (like my head) was rock solid, quiet and comfortable. 

Look for a DOT and SNELL rated helmet for protection, then start trying them on
for best 'fits like a glove' fitment.  Welcome back to the riding world!

I wear a X-11 Shoei that fits my head very well.  But yours most likely will be more normally shaped!  :-[

So try on various different brands before deciding.

Usually speaking (broadly speaking) the more you spend the better the fit, finish, features and lower noise levels.  But not always.

Best of luck!

For possibly a great price, depending on what you want, go to http://fc-moto.de and check them out. Click the American flag in the upper right to put website and prices into English and Dollars.

Prices include VAT, but when you check out with a USA address, they automatically deduct the VAT. And no US tax. When I got my Schuberth C3 from them, they didn't charge me shipping either.

In case you don't know, .de is Germany, where the Schuberth helmets are manufactured.