• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet use article published by CDC

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
This article looks at the data a bit different... instead of looking solely at total fatalities, they examined helmet use vs no helmet use.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's article, "Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists Who Died in Crashes and Economic Cost Savings Associated With State Motorcycle Helmet Laws - United States, 2008-2010" in the current issue of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6123a1.htm?s_cid=mm6123a1_e%0D%0A

Wait a minute... I'm confused... Is wearing a helmet the disease or crashing a motorcycle???

I liked this part...
Percentages were suppressed for states with fewer than 10 fatalities involving motorcyclists who were not wearing helmets.
I love statistics... Keep crunching the numbers and any results can be true  >:D

Ooooo, I got to save this quote too:
During 2008–2010, a total of 14,283 motorcyclists were killed in crashes, among whom 6,057 (42%) were not wearing a helmet.

32,000+ fatalities of all vehicular types in 2011 alone according to the census.

Those who will wear helmets will keep wearing them those who don't wont.  You arn't going to change that with statistics.  Look at all the smoking statistics.  It took years for it to finaly sink in, and yet many still smoke and concider it their right to share it with others. :truce: :deadhorse: :popcorncouple:

Yesterday I had the best of both worlds. A helmetless guy on a HD sharing his smoke with me. I came up to him as he put-putted along 5mph under the 50mph speed limit, no room to pass. I see him fiddling with something as he rides, next thing I know, a nice cloud of smoke invades my space. He was smoking a cigarette while riding. The ultimate in cool, with his Daytona Bike Week t-shirt and temp tags on his Road King.

I love statistics... Keep crunching the numbers and any results can be true  >:D

Ooooo, I got to save this quote too:
During 2008–2010, a total of 14,283 motorcyclists were killed in crashes, among whom 6,057 (42%) were not wearing a helmet.

"Figures lie and liars figure"

Our local yellow rag when reporting MC crashes always includes at the end of the article whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet. First off, its legal to NOT wear a helmet in Ohio, second, a guy getting hit by a semi doing 80mph head on is not going to be helped in any way by wearing a helmet, third, its ILLEGAL to NOT wear your seatbelt in Ohio, but whether or not a person involved in a car crash was wearing one or not is hardly ever reported, except in cases of ejection, where, most times, its kind of obvious.

Strawboss said:
Our local yellow rag when reporting MC crashes always includes at the end of the article whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet. First off, its legal to NOT wear a helmet in Ohio, second, a guy getting hit by a semi doing 80mph head on is not going to be helped in any way by wearing a helmet, third, its ILLEGAL to NOT wear your seatbelt in Ohio, but whether or not a person involved in a car crash was wearing one or not is hardly ever reported, except in cases of ejection, where, most times, its kind of obvious.

:goodpost:

I don't know about crunching numbers to get the results you want, but I do find this paragraph to be the most compelling part of the research.

Research has shown that when a state repeals its helmet law or opts for less restrictive requirements, helmet use decreases and motorcycle-related deaths, injuries, and costs increase. In 2000, for example, Florida changed its universal helmet law to a partial helmet law that covered only riders aged <21 years and those with <$10,000 in medical insurance coverage. During the 2 years after the law was changed, the motorcyclist death rate per 10,000 registered motorcycles in Florida increased by 21%, deaths among motorcycle riders aged <21 years nearly tripled, and hospital admissions of motorcyclists with injuries to the head, brain, and skull increased by 82% (7). In addition, gross costs charged to hospital-admitted motorcyclists with head, brain, or skull injuries in Florida more than doubled, from $21 million to $50 million (7). Studies that have examined nonfatal injury outcomes among motorcyclists who wore helmets and those who did not have found that hospitalized riders who had not worn helmets incurred higher health-care costs (8,9). Riders who do not wear helmets are more likely to suffer traumatic brain injuries, and median hospital charges for those with traumatic brain injuries are 13 times higher than for those without such injuries {8}. Riders who do not wear helmets also are less likely to have health insurance, and therefore are more likely to require publicly funded health care (9). 

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I once read through the face shield on my full face helmet while riding through the great state of Idaho. It read,

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance".

Thanks for posting this Steve. Keep up the good fight.