• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmets with visors

My daily commute takes me into the sun both ways. Does anyone have any experience with a visor on a helmet? I'm thinking of the AFX FX-50 in Hi-Vis Yellow and wonder how the visor will behave during my commute.

Top speed is only about 50 on this daily ride, but I would like to use the helmet on group rides as well.

I'm running a Rifle windscreen, and don't seem to get any buffeting during my normal rides. My seat is standard height.

Thanks.

I have an older Nolan 102 with the visor on the outside and it works fine for me. It's about time for a new one and I'll probably go for the N-103 or maybe the N-90. Both have the visor on the inside. You can get great reviews and videos on the revzilla.com website!

http://www.super-visor.com/index.html

I tried one of these super-visor attachments to the helmet shield a while back on my Nolan. It worked pretty good. Never had it fly off or anything like that. When you ride into the sun, you just have to tip your head down some to get the right angle to block the run.  It also offered some shade it a sense. When the sun was just high overhead, it did the visor effect and nice there too. The mounting stuff came loose over time, and if you ever replace your faceshield you'll need new mouting stuff.

I saw someone at a regional rally with the sunshield strips that go across the top the visor, called sunblocker in this link. Its on my old Nolan now. Worked ok. Got in the way when the shield was completely down. Had to keep the shield flipped up at least a tiny bit to have clean view. When the shield down and head tilted worked good. Shield down and head straight it was partially obstructing view. So I kept the shield at least partially flipped up. Cold in winter.

New Scorpion has the buildin sun visor. Works nice when sun is over head. Could be better then the sun is straight in the eyes. They make different shades which would help that. But then wonder if it would be too dark otherwise. What I have done most this summer is ride with sun glasses for just regular sunny day viewing. then when the sun gets straight out in front, flip down the integrated visor. The combo of the sun glasses and the visor get the job done when the sun is straight in your eyes. -- Just not as nice on daily commute mornings where I might not have the sun glasses and then the sun is at the right angle.

I am currently running the Nolan N-100 with no visor. I generally keep the faceshield open for airflow (Texas!), but would close it if I had a visor. Is there a visor that will retrofit to the N-100? If so, I'd love to see it.

One of my helmets is a Scorpion EXO-1000. It has an internal smoke visor and full clear face shield. I like the flexibility.  Normally I just wear non-polarized sunglasses

http://www.super-visor.com/sunblocker.htm

I've been using a similar product for about 5 years on my Shoei X11. Works really great when the sun is directly in front and well enough to the side.  I've got the insert postitoned so that I can tilt my head slightly and cover the sun when its just at the horizon.

I've used the Super-Visor and the SunShield products. Both work pretty well. I've also used a 2" strip of tape across the top of the helmet visor which also worked pretty well. You pays yo' money and you takes yo' chances.

My commute is also into the sun both directions. I have a Fogcity Speed Tint strip that fits on the inside of my clear RF-1100 shield. It works really well and is clear enough that you can actually see through it a little bit. It fits at the top but doesn't interfere with the faceshield seal. I've almost decided to put on on my dark smoke shield also.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_55-0043_G

A buddy of mine just runs a couple of strips of black tape across the top outside of his shield. With a black helmet it's almost un-noticable.

+1 on the sunvisor... 

http://www.aerostich.com/helmet-sunblocker.html

It works well, but I think I will go N103 when I replace my current full face lid.

I wear transition riding goggles (sun glass frame, vented gasket) under my helmet.  I love that, because they change when it's bright they're light when they don't need to be.

http://www.bikershades.com/Riding-Sunglasses-with-Transition-Lenses-p/pc047phc-yellow.htm

A decent pair of safety sunglasses does the trick for me.  And if you are in need of "cheaters" this link gives you some great and very inexpensive, options.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html#top

No affilliation........blah, blah, blah......

I would like to try out one of the helmets by Arai or ICON that look like dirt helmets but are marketed for street use.  My only fear is that the big visor on the front would cause my head to get jerked around.  The visor on these would more than likely serve to block the sun.  Anyone have any experience with these????

The strip of tinting at the top of the shield seems to be the cheapest, quickest and easiest solution!!!!

Actually the cheapest, easiest solution is about a 1.5" strip of electrical tape (I think I pointed this out about 5 comments up).

AngryBaby, this is exactly what I am/was concerned about, and the reason for the original post. I would like to know if anyone has had experience with one of these helmets, and, whether or not, it has a tendency to pull your head back while riding at 70 mph behind a Rifle screen.

I get the electrical tape trick, and all the other ideas, all of which have merit. But, once again, last night, I fought the sun on my commute home. I need something else that is designed for the street, or I'm pulling out my 20 year old Bell Moto 6 with the 4" visor.

Best,

So how far off is having one of those helmets, from attaching one of them super-visor attachments in the link posted earlier.  I never tried the super-visor with a shorty shield where the helmet was in lots of air flow all the time. I did use it for several years with no problems behind a normal height Cee Bailey shield. - I had it installed with one of the lift kits shown on that site. The thing I found was that I was needing to get a new lift kit every year or so, as it would start to come loose. I eventually tried one of the other strip ideas.  Its been a few years now, but I dont recall being annoyed with it yanking my head around. Not that it could not have happened, just that I did not find it a problem and remove it for that. It was coming loose again and I tried something different.

Ranger Jim said:
Actually the cheapest, easiest solution is about a 1.5" strip of electrical tape (I think I pointed this out about 5 comments up).

Electrical tape might work but it looks tacky...guess i actually should have said : The strip of tinting at the top of the shield seems to be the cheapest, quickest, easiest and cleanest looking solution!!!!

AngryBaby said:
Ranger Jim said:

Electrical tape might work but it looks tacky...guess i actually should have said : The strip of tinting at the top of the shield seems to be the cheapest, quickest, easiest and cleanest looking solution!!!!

The tinted strip that I mentioned earlier, that goes on the inside of the shield, works great. Even adds that little extra bit to the dark shield. And, it's pretty cheap.

Ranger Jim said:
does it leave any adhesive on the shield when you take it off?

[/quote]

Electrical tape on the inside of the visor is not noticable and works great.  I use it on the inside of BOTH visors on my Scorpion EXO900s' and love the results.

I have used a bunch of these approaches.
SuperVisor wouldn't stay stuck.
Tinted strip (can you believe someone is flogging these for $10?!) worked OK.
Black electrical tape works quite well, no residue problem.

I'm currently sporting 2" blue painter's masking tape. Quite the jaunty look, IIDSSM.

I'm thinking about using black spray paint on the inside across the top. I think that will look pretty good. If not, hey, it's an old shield. (And an old rider, come to that).

Steve

Put the electrical tape across the BOTTOM of the face shield. When you flip the shield up, it becomes a visor. When the shield is down, you don't even notice it.

The tinted strip that I mentioned earlier, that goes on the inside of the shield, works great. Even adds that little extra bit to the dark shield. And, it's pretty cheap.

ask my how I figured that out...... :-[

Thank you to everyone for the input. The correct answer is the AFX-FX50 with it's visor will block the sun nicely, the drop down tinted shade works very well, but a little tight for those who wear glasses, and the helmet doesn't "lift". At least up to 70 mph.

not sure this is topical...but I bought some glasses in the fishing section of wal-mart for $14, they are polarized and anti glare..great for the early morning eastern travel!!

NOt to digress but 2 of my friends went withthe HJC helmets with the flip down sunshades and absolutely love them.

I was at the Moto GP and saw the shades that attach to the inside of your helmet lens and automatically darken when passing in and out of shade and sun. Look pretty cool to me.

I use my HJC IS-MAX BT helmet with built in shaded Visor.

In daytime I wear sunglasses and on super bright times I lower my visor for another layer of light dampening. Works Great!

The button on the top of the helmet lets it lock and one press and it pops back into the helmet.

I have one of the "new" dual sport style helmets with the outside visor and the large tinted face shield.

I have worn this helmet cruising at about 90mph, down a typically windy corridor on my commute, and I have had ZERO problems with it pulling my head around. I have some pretty severe neck issues and it never agravated it one bit.

I picked up a cheap AFX just to try out the style, it has become one of my favorite helmets, the field of view is unbeatable, and the optics through the bent face shield are very crisp and undistorted. The only problems I had was that it was tight on my forehead (removed some foam with a dremel to solve that) and at speed the visor tends to raise up just a little bit due to the fact that it has no positive locking provision for the visor in the down position.

I intend to purchase a more expensive/advanced one soon.

I have the HJC-IS16 with flip down smoked visor and love it. I'm on my second one, after basically wearing the interior out of the first (you can only wash and replace the internal pads so many times.

I've seen reviews that state the the visor doesn't come down far enough for some folks or that it's takes some dexterity to flip it down to the second notch, but I've never had an issue. After several years with this type of helmet, I can't bring myself to buying one without it.