• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help picking proper size for Rifle Windshield

Massy

Training Wheels
I am not one to buy everything I see for my bike, but I do like the idea of a better windshield. I just need some help on making up my mind. I am 5'8" and my current shield measures 21" from the base to the top tip. I feel that an extra 3 or 4 " would still allow me to see over the top. How high is the 19" shield as measured from the very bottom where it touches the faring? Any feedback from other Rifle users should include your height, and the height of your Rifle shsield. Thanks, Joe - Jensen Beach, FL

24.5" from the very bottom for a 19" Rifle. Not sure what you current sheild is, stock, aftermarket? The rifle sits up straighter than a stock shield for example. So the amount of vertical rise you get from a 21" Rifle would be higher than a 21" stock shield for example. What is your goal? Better weather protection, less wind noise, D. All of the above? 2003 Concours, 61K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I started with the stock shield and went to a 24.5" Cee Bailey. Rode with the CB for quite a few years. I liked it, but it let in a water theough the vent when it rains. And daily commuting in the Pacific Northwet winters I pretty much had a foam plug left in there 5 months out of the year. All in all it was a good shield though. More protection than stock and less wind buffeting. Still to much wind noise for me. I use ear plugs all the time. The problem with the CB was I got it early on. And after adding things like my Rick Mayer Saddle, learning to sit up straight and not slouch, etc the height of the CB was not what it used to be. I was looking over it at a farily short distance down the road. After borrowing a Rifle for an afternoon and going for a ride, I liked it. First is size was a lot better for me. I am sure this made the big difference. However I also like its shape and look better. So I ordered up one of these and sold the Cee Bailey. I like the Rifle a lot better. But still wind noise is a bit much. Still using ear plugs. Enter the Laminar Lip. Tossed around different ideas of cutting my own shield for the Rifle, etc. Reading other threads I got interested in the idea of a Laminar Lip. I finally ordered one. I love this. Its like it really changed the wind air flow. Its now like the turbulent air is raised up higher and the helmet is completely out of the air flow. Yet I still see over it just fine. With the Stock, CB or Rifle alone when you duck your head down below the shield it quiets right down. But your looking through the shield and most of us want to look over the shield. Stick your head up and look over the shield and the wind noise is much louder. With the Laminar Lip I have my head up looking over the shield the way I like it. Yet the wind noise is no more than if I stick my head down below the shield. With the Laminar Lip when I ride moving my head up and down below the shield, it makes no change in noise. 2003 Concours, 61K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I bought the 17" rifle, but didn't receive it yet. I may follow your lead on the Lip, but I will test the Rifle on my commute for a few days before I decide to modify things more. Thanks for the great feedback. Joe