• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

HELP!

So, this was my first BIG ride. I rode from NYC to Bethlehem PA and then to Columbus OH. On the way to Columbus, when I stopped to get gas, the idle went way low when down shifting to get to the pump. After pumping the gas, had trouble starting, put it on full choke and got on the freeway and turned choke off. It runs fine on the freeway but not in town. The idle is at about 500 rpm's. Put some seafoam in the Bike and now waiting to see if letting it sit for a while. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 20k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

Your idle speed knob may need to be adjusted. Look for the black knurled knob located off the carburetor on the left side. With engine running, turn knob until idle speed is set at 1050 rpm. If you are still having low speed issues, then you may have some bad fuel clogging the jets. Empty the carb float bowls first with a 3 mm hex key (with engine OFF, of course). Then prime the carb using the petcock, set the petcock back to RUN and crank. Hopefully it will fire right up and off you go. If that doesn't work, then you need to consider cleaning the carbs. See Clymers and the Fall 2006 edition of the COG Concourier for help with that task. Hope this helps. COG #8892 CDA #0309 Remember: Only Hugh can stop Florist Friars!

If it was running fine when you were riding it, and then began to run bad at the gas station, it could be bad gas! Or you got some E-85 by mistake. My bike does not run on e-85! Acted similar to what your are experiencing when a truck dumped it in the wrong tanks. Lucky I recognized the smell and was able to drain enough out to mix in good gas to make it run.

I second the notion that it may be a problem with the purity of the fuel. I have experienced similar carburation problems on multiple bikes at the hands of hygroscopic ethanol blends, particularly this time of year when the petroleum suppliers switch from the boutique winter to summer formulations. A splash of "Heet" gas dryer or "Techron" in the tank may help. It did in my case. Best of luck. BTW, what is Seafoam?

I disagree Big Wheels, he said in his original post that the problems started before he fueled up the bike. It could be fuel problems of course, but not what he put in at the gas pump AFTER he had the problem. :)

Sea-foam is one of the best fuel additives for cleaning the system. Not designed for water in fuel but helps almost everything else. I run a can about every 5 - 6 tanks. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I hope the Seafom works I am a believer. I have been using Seafoam for years. My Honda V65 carbs would start fouling and not idling. I would run about 4 ounces of Seafoam in the gas tank (4.5 gallons of gas) and the bike would start running fine. I am new to the Connie about 4 months now. I have put Seafom in the Connie twice in last 4 months. I'll get off my soapbox. It is great stuff and I buy it by the gallon for all my vehicles (boat cars, motorcycles & chainsaws). TP Spring Hill Fl 1999 Connie COG#8997

In some areas you can find it at autoparts stores. Maybe even Walmart. If not, you can use Techron instead.

Well, I fiddled with the idle screw, drained the carb bowls, put new gas in & still had the same problem. Seems that the primary jet is clogged. Since I am in town for a wedding, I called Ask Powersports & begged them to take my bike in ( I will rank on about garages not working on older bikes some where else). I should have him back tomorrow. Thanks everyone. Btw - you can find seafoam at advance autoparts and autozone. Next time I carrying it with me. 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 20k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

were you on reserve, and almost out of gas, when you rolled into the station? I would add IsoHeet, you likely have water (been there all along) in the tank, and at the bottom it finally got sucked in, blocking the low speed circuits. Drain the gas, stick a piece of rubber hose on a Turkey baster, and suck all the crap outta the bottom rear corners of the tank, and refill it and add a full bottle of Heet or IsoHeet to the tank, and run that thru without letting it sit. The water likely was the blockage, and the seafoam ain't gonna clear that out.