• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hey ZG - Looks like I'll be getting those black wheels now

extremist

Tricycle
So took my wheels to my tire guy today to have some 023's mounted (he only deals Bridgestone and is a race shop with ties to the CRA) and when he stepped on the clamp pedal the old 021 carcass failed to crush enough so the clamps jumped inside and hacked the rear up pretty bad.

Oh well, I wanted to do the black anyway so half-price won't feel too bad. Can't wait to get them back but probably will be on the BMW for 2 weeks until they are finished.

So she waits on stands until then:

Attachments

• Stands.jpg
    Stands.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 141
:08:  8)

Sweet! Congrats EXT! Post up some pics when you get her back together bro!

I also have been waiting and wanting to powder coat my wheels? PLS reply back with the steps involved for those of us who want to follow suite? My understanding is the bearings have to be removed is that about it?

Regards
Phillip

Just had mine done a couple of weeks ago by a local guy here in CT.  Correct, just pull everything off the wheel that would melt (basically everything).  I was very skeptical about reusing the bearings, but I thoroughly trust this guy and he said they came out with a very light pull, so not to worry.  Your results may vary, and conventional wisdom is to replace them.  Got a new set of Angels (/55 rear) put on following the powdercoat.  Also got the Guhl reflash and Two Bros Carbon Black series (not on yet as of this photo).  Took her out yesterday for the first time since doing all the mods.  Awesome!

Attachments

• GTR_042012.jpg
    GTR_042012.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 134
Looks sharp Don!

If you don't mind me asking; how much did you pay for the powdercoat?

Not that I don't trust my guy, but it would be easy/tempting to jack the price since he has to pay for one of them...might as well jack the price to me to reduce his out of pocket for the mistake ya know what I mean?

Thanks,

EXT,
My powdercoater charges $80 per set.

Don,
Looks great man, huge improvement IMO, nicely done!  8)

I think my guy hit me up for $120 a set, but that included pulling / installing the bearings, plus his markup.  His cost was $80 from the actual powdercoat guy, so ZG's cost seems to be the going rate.

Anyone out there have pics of black wheels on a "RED" 14??
I'm thinkin about funding this mod..

Tahoe C14 said:
Anyone out there have pics of black wheels on a "RED" 14??
I'm thinkin about funding this mod..

The 2012 red w/black wheels should give you a good feel for it with a squint eye T...

Don557 said:
I think my guy hit me up for $120 a set, but that included pulling / installing the bearings, plus his markup.  His cost was $80 from the actual powdercoat guy, so ZG's cost seems to be the going rate.

Yep, $80 for the "set" from my guy is just the powdercoating, here's a link to him, he's done 2 sets of Gixxer wheels for me too and does great work, takes no more than 2 days.

http://www.jdpowdercoatings.com/

I took mine to a local, trusted, speed shop / dyno guy who does good work.  He had a local powdercoat shop he uses for custom bike work, AND I could trust him to have a bearing puller and know how to use it.
You can probably find something similar in your area.

I put this one right up there next to the neck tatoos. Hey, you forgot NOT to do that. Not only do they show dirt, they easily get scratched when changing the tires. You won't notice, thanks to the sharpie all good mechanics keep in the desk.

Justamemba said:
they easily get scratched when changing the tires.

Sorry bro, but I TOTALLY DISAGREE!
Powder coating won't scratch changing tires, powder coating is stronger than paint. I have zero scratches on mine. I have also had 2 others sets of wheels powder coated on my Gixxers, and again no scratches...

ekjriuu38.jpg

Yeah, have to disagree too. I've had at least 7 or 8 tires put on after my coating them back in '08. Not a scratch to be seen. And dirt, pfft, we don't care about no stinking dirt. It's the brake pad dust that looks like s**t on the silver wheel.

I did mine in a textured black like the frame, and love that I don't see nicks, scratches or dings. Nice ans matte look. Tough stuff.

This is a dirty bike and it's really dirty wheels. No problems.
file-40.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg