• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

HF80 Dual Horn Package

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
Anyone try the HF80 Dual Horn Package from Murphs.

I have the Stebel Compact Nautilus horn and its pretty nice. I am thinking about installing it on the truck and getting these for the Connie and mounting them in the factory location in place of the factory horns. Then running my existing relay triggered wiring up to that location versus where I have the Nautilus now.

The Nautilus is rated at 115db at 2 meters and the HF80 package at 112db at 2 meters. So I don't see much different there.  Sound should be ok, etc.

Mostly its a mounting thing. Do these fit in replacement of the existing horns with no fit issues? Assuming so I am thinking I will order these and move the Nautilus over to the truck.

Hey Fred;

Yep I fitted them, they make a nice noise.
Easy to fit. I did paint mine black to match the OEM ones so they were not so visible.
The HF80's are cad-plated looking.
You do need a relay as the power is too much for the button.
A sinch to install with Murphs Aux Power block

I was asked to install a  nautilus, and I couldn't find a suitable place for it. I have done the dual horns on another bike previously, and I put them in the stock position AND mounted the stockers there, too. 4 Horns! You'll have to pull the fairing off the frame and make up a couple brackets, but it's doable. Don't ask what the bracket looks like, I don't remember, but I iirc I mounted the stebels where the stockers were, and then used the stebel bracket with a couple bends to tuck them into the fairing frame. HTH, Steve

I fitted the Nautilus where the front brake line T used to be for the old 3 line setup. I have the 2 line SS lines for a long time. I made myself a custom bracket and use the same two mounting holes the T piece used. Mounted right there is no interference turning the bars. Its just up high enough the horn outlets are about the buttom of the fairing. So the echo back into the fairing is not too bad. But could be better if it were lower. However lower would have interence problems. Its not too bad, but I would not rate it a 10 for location. Makes it hard to change the headlight. Have to remove the horn, then change the light. But its only the two bolts.

http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/Imgp0566.jpg

Overall I think the dual horn approach looks nicer. Bummer you have to take the fairing off. What that just for the 4 horn approach, or is that even to get to the stock horns and change them?

I'm curious as to the dB rating of the stock horns, for comparison... anyone ever run across that spec?  ???