• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

High Viz yellow helmet

mcgyver74

Just curious what ye all think regarding the merits of the high vis yellow helmets that are available.

I am likely going to pull the trigger on a new Shoei Neotec tonight and was considering the yellow....  ...

Can't hurt. Or you can join the brotherhood of the vest by getting a quality retroreflective vest.

Didn't you look at that yellow Neotech I tried on at twisted throttle Marc? Sorry, but buy any color other than that yellow.    :-\

Mad River Marc said:
Just curious what ye all think regarding the merits of the high vis yellow helmets that are available.

I am likely going to pull the trigger on a new Shoei Neotec tonight and was considering the yellow....  ...

I've seen a few of these and a few "Orange helmets"  Man you can see these things from miles away!  You got my vote!  8)

I bought a yellow shoei Rf1100 yellow, and I feel safer. I prefer light colors anyway. Add a reflectivie vest and thats all you can do for apparel. Add some saftey farkles on your bike.

Thanks everyone,
I already have a high viz yellow jacket with reflective material on it, but I am wondering if the helmet would be over the top (I think I'd prob glow in the dark LOL)

2linby said:
I've seen a few of these and a few "Orange helmets"  Man you can see these things from miles away!  You got my vote!  8)

You can see headlights from a mile away, too, and people still turn left in front of you!  I'm counter-culture on this issue...I think the high viz can bring a false sense of security.  Not false, exactly, surely it's better than all black, but I do wonder about the effectiveness in reality.  I'd rather have my modulating headlight and a helmet that doesn't look like it should be on The Simpsons.  Obviously, they're called high viz for a reason...but you're trying to get the attention of people who somehow don't see your HEADLIGHT from 50 feet away.  Wouldn't hurt, I guess.  I dunno.  I'm not sold on them.  I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to have a high viz helmet, by any means.  I'll admit that my number one helmet is GRAY and might as well be invisible on the road.

Bright colours help, bright colours contrasting with darker colours is better.
Even with that lid on and a hi-viz vest you could "disappear" if riding alongside a School Bus.

I'm along with Jeff, even considering my part time gig as a RiderCoach.  :eek:

However, to qualify, I think it is more an attitude you have to put on along with the gear no matter what color the gear is.  I'd hate to have someone ride a little less attentive because "I gots all this hi-viz gear on, good to go".  If having and wearing the hi-viz gear helps you get more in the mindset you need to be in, great.  But if the brain ain't in gear, it don't matter what you are wearing.  If you are getting it just so you can be more visible only, don't count on it.  People pull out in front of trains, semi's, fire trucks (lights/horns a blazing), ambulances (same lights/horns) and all kinds of vehicles out there all day long. Unfortunately, we suffer the worst when it happens to us.

So, protection capability/function are foremost to me, color, not so much BUT that's the way I ride.

I still encourage lighter colors for my students, more for comfort during dog days of summer (and sometimes that's a perceived comfort, not actual), visibility is a plus but do not rely on it. 

And taking account today's lighting on bikes, from the front (where a majority of the conflicts come from), with modern day halogens, running on high beam (and even low beam) during the day, I think most drivers would be hard pressed to tell what color helmet the operator has on.

My 0.02

I think bright colors are a good idea. I wear a solid white Shoei Multi-tec, not sure if it helps, but no harm in trying.

First morning I wore my new Hi-viz Scorpion jacket I almost got hit by a truck driver at a T intersection.....

I still think Hi viz is worth it, it's not foolproof but ANYTHING you can do to make yourself more visible is a good thing.

DannyL said:
First morning I wore my new Hi-viz Scorpion jacket I almost got hit by a truck driver at a T intersection.....

While this is not funny I cannot help to chuckle as it happens to me too. The point is anything you can do that provides increased conspicuity is beneficial.

The combination of a high viz suit or jacket, helmet, retro reflective materials, better lighting and or a headlamp modulator certainly brings more attention to you it cannot in itself protect you from the inattentive or oblivious driver.

These measures will howeve increase your profile and perceived approach speed to those oncoming drivers who would have otherwise not seen you.

I like the hi-viz approach. It is not a panacea for alertness and defensive riding, but in my experience the hi-viz "neon" yellow color makes more of a visibility statement than anything else. The human visual-perceptual system is more highly "tuned" to that color stimulus than anything else. . . so at least you'll have neurobiology working for you instead of against you.

I've ask people at work if they notice better with my hi-vis helmet and they say yes. Also my previous bike was a black st1100 and I wore a green helmet drivers seemed to see me however with my dark blue connie people just didn't appear to notice me. So that when I got hi-vis helmet.

Boomer said:
Bright colours help, bright colours contrasting with darker colours is better.
Even with that lid on and a hi-viz vest you could "disappear" if riding alongside a School Bus.
In that case I'd better change the color of my bike. :eek:
111010_16002.jpg

Piaa H4 white xenon bulbs in a C14 headlamp on hibeam, during daylight, get me noticed...no matter which of my Arai's I am in..

I too have a hi-vis yellow helmet. I've been told that it really stands out in the day and at dusk, but at night it's not much more visible, if at all, than a silver one.

I haven't installed my reflective stickers on it yet though.

A couple of years ago I saw an article that stated white helmets are involved in far less accidents than darker helmets.  In think it was a AMA article. Also it helps from behind. How many Harley riders look invisible just like the asphalt.

Hi-viz works.  I borrowed this pic from Capt'n Bob.
When I was going through his photo's the hi-viz jackets was the VERY first thing I noticed in this pic. Can you spot the folks wearing hi-viz in this photo?

2275369890103513287S600x600Q85.jpg

Contrast in colors make a big impact.
Riding thru DC on Sunday evening back home i noticed a rider with a dark jacket and yellow. Helmet.. really popped! Made me double take. Looked cool.
same thing i think with dayglo jacket with black shoulder trims and white helmet
id say get it, more outfitts to variations to choose from

ddtmoto said:
Piaa H4 white xenon bulbs in a C14 headlamp on hibeam, during daylight, get me noticed...no matter which of my Arai's I am in..

Noticed from either side...or, from behind...?

I'm all for hi-viz...I use a jacket, and helmet...just figure it couldn't hurt...and, I ride with my high beam on in the daytime...

I think I should clarify, I do ride with a high viz jacket (and soon to be helmet) but I do not consider them a panacea,  they are just one more tool that MAY help me be seen by other traffic,  while they may help, they are in NO WAY a substitute for being alert and paying attention to what is going on around you. :)

I don't hear it at all  :))

Overall it's quieter then my Multi was,  then again I ride with custom molded earbuds that act as earplugs to cut road noise so It's hard to judge properly :)