• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hit a deer outside Reedsport, OR

bikerhawk

Kansas AAD
TLDR:
I'm OK, the bike is good mechanically, left fairing & bag are bad but can be taped up enough to (I believe) make it home. Deer is not OK.

Longer story:
My plan leaving the National today was to run to the coast, head north up 101, circle the Olympic Peninsula, then meander east, stopping in the Black Hills before finally making it home the Sunday after next.

Bambi (actually, a pregnant doe) changed all that.

On Highway 38 heading west, about 3 miles east of Reedsport (after just passing an elk viewing area and seeing none, ironically), she came from my left as I was rounding a right hand corner and smacked into the left mid fairing, bounced off my leg, and knocked the left Givi saddlebag off the Happy Trails rack. Somehow I did not go down. Stopped the bike in, honestly, a but of a sketchy spot where I couldn't get off. I looked back to see what was left of the deer in the opposite lane and my bag, still intact, in my lane. Intact, anyway, until a freaking minivan ran straight over it. Of course, it was the bag containing my clothes.

A guy stopped to help me push the bike across the road to a safer, more stable location, where I start assessing myself, the bike damage, and figuring out next steps. Meanwhile, I'm getting attention from Oregon DOT, Reedsport Fire Dept, and Oregon State Police. After assuring them that I was (physically, somehow) OK, and that i thought the bike could make the 3 miles in to town, the trooper helped gather what was left of my bag & clothes, threw them in his truck, and followed me in, just in case something proved wrong with the bike. We made it in to town just fine, found a NAPA parking lot, and dropped my gear while I tried to figure out what was next.

The bag's bottom was in amazingly good shape and it still snapped back in to the rack securely. The lid, however...not so much. We did recover enough pieces where I've been able to jigsaw puzzle and Gorilla tape it pretty well together. The plastic Givi latch did break, however, so it's being held shut with a NAPA spider bungee.

I'm now in a way overpriced room in town, continuing to tape up the fairing and looking for more hidden damage. But (knock on wood), I am hopeful I can still limp the bike home. (Is limping 2000 miles really limping?)

So amazed I'm still alive, let alone in one piece and able to share my cautionary tale. This may very well be the last long solo bike trip I do...too many things have happened the last 5 years.

i hope I've taken all the bad luck for the team and nobody else has such a story on their return trIp. It truly was an awesome National and a bucket list trip to ride out here...until now :)

You are lucky ... relatively speaking - to hit a deer and live to tell the tale. ... "LARRY GRODSKY For example, let us not forget the beloved Larry Grodsky, who was widely regarded as a leading motorcycle safety expert in the United States. Larry taught thousands of riders to better handle themselves on their bikes by way of his Pittsburgh-based company, Stayin’ Safe Motorcycle Training.He was also a motorcycle safety columnist writing “Stayin’ Safe” for Rider Magazine since 1988.He died on April 8, 2006, while riding his bike through Fort Stockton, Texas, on his way home to Pennsylvania from a Motorcycle Safety Conference outside of Los Angeles.Larry collided with a deer at night and left a tremendous hole in the motorcycle riding community by his departure.Poignantly in retrospect, he remarked a few weeks earlier, “That’s how I’m going to go, it’s going to be a deer.”Indeed, the deer population and roadways are a dangerous threat to all motorists, just more so for motorcyclists who are not ensconced in a protective metal cage."
Deer collisions are one of those inescapable wild card risks for a motorcyclist. There's very little a rider can do to either avoid or survive a deer strike.

You are lucky ... relatively speaking - to hit a deer and live to tell the tale. ... "LARRY GRODSKY For example, let us not forget the beloved Larry Grodsky, who was widely regarded as a leading motorcycle safety expert in the United States. Larry taught thousands of riders to better handle themselves on their bikes by way of his Pittsburgh-based company, Stayin’ Safe Motorcycle Training.He was also a motorcycle safety columnist writing “Stayin’ Safe” for Rider Magazine since 1988.He died on April 8, 2006, while riding his bike through Fort Stockton, Texas, on his way home to Pennsylvania from a Motorcycle Safety Conference outside of Los Angeles.Larry collided with a deer at night and left a tremendous hole in the motorcycle riding community by his departure.Poignantly in retrospect, he remarked a few weeks earlier, “That’s how I’m going to go, it’s going to be a deer.”Indeed, the deer population and roadways are a dangerous threat to all motorists, just more so for motorcyclists who are not ensconced in a protective metal cage."
Deer collisions are one of those inescapable wild card risks for a motorcyclist. There's very little a rider can do to either avoid or survive a deer strike.
Very true. The inconvenience of the moment is far better than the pain for my family that could have been.

With the Iron Butt Rally beginning next week, I've been thinking about Davo Jones, the Australian rider who died in a deer collision on the final leg of the 2009 IBR.

Assuming all is good mechanically with my bike, the question now becomes: do I just beeline it for home (remembering the "beeline" is still 2000 miles over 4-5 days), or continue my ride plan (albeit shorter and not getting too remote, in case I do have bike trouble)? Not ready to answer that question before a good night's sleep.

I had a deer run over me on my 87 Connie, its head came under my right arm, its body flung around the back of the bike, went cart wheeling off the other side of the road..I was doing about 60 at the time. Winded me a hair, drove into the next town before I stopped..Little deer hair under the back box mount was about it...

Glad yer mobile!

12 noon, Mesa Verde during a COG group ride around a dozen deer crossed among a dozen of us riders... Like the June Taylor dancers. Not a single strike. Deer aren't all laying down during daylight hours.

@bikerhawk glad you are ok. The Connie is a steady steed, give er’ a solid once over in the light tomorrow. Pay attention to any odd sounds, smells and feeling in handling.

Ride safe.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Glad to hear all is well in the long run.

I'm convinced that there's little you can do to avoid a deer collision. Last summer I was coming out of a down in the southwest. Just sage brush on the sides of the road. All of a sudden, a deer was bolting across the road. I had no warning. I went over the dash cam file from that time and it showed the same. One moment the road was clear ahead of me, the next moment, the deer was stretched out running for all it was worth and looking towards the pickup truck that almost hit it. If that's the way the good Lord will take me, there's not much I can do about it.

Chris

So glad you are okay. It's also good to hear your bike is probably ridable. Great you're taking your time to go over it carefully.

I rode home from Utah to California after a deer strike with the remnants of my left saddle bag and contents piled on top of my tail bag, from what sounds like very similar results.

Hang in there, great your mobile.

you might give Hillsboro mortosports or beaverton motorcycles a call and see if they can help you with parts or repairs.
hillsboro motorsports - (503) 648-4555
beaverton motorcycles - 503.828.9223

we ended up on 99 south traffic was crazy going home. saw bikes splitting lanes, even harleys with their loud pipes I did not heare or see them until they were right next to me. saw an accident involving a bike on the opposite side of the freeway that just happened, biker was laying in the middle of the freeway and people running around. He wasn't moving and bike was destroyed. lane splitting is so dangerous, especially with all these people thinking they are so important and have to be on their phones and text while driving. I've done my share but try not to but at least have my eyes always pointing to the road while i watch people driving with their heads down. Glad you're ok.

Update: made it to Moscow, ID without a hitch. Got drenched around Portland, but the Gorilla Tape remains. I did lose the center strap on my 3 strap spider bungee...looks like the muffler got it. Will have to rethink the other 2 straps' mounting spots.

I'll leave you all alone unless more drama ensues. Hope everyone else is having/had safe travels.

Larry was a nice guy, and I was saddened to hear he passed the way he did. He did a couple abbreviated Stayin’ Safe Riding sessions for me when I hosted the VA edition of the 2000 Continental Drift National in Natural Bridge.

Larry at the 2002 50cc True Grits Fun Run, TWO Motorcycle Campground in Suches, GA:
i-Pz8cPc6-M.jpg

So sorry I've been negligent. Made it home without further problems Sunday. Ended up doing 2800 miles AFTER hitting the deer...nearly 5200 in total.

Thanks for the good vibes, offers to help, etc.

The C10 is a tough old mule...and, apparently, I can handle a thing or two as well. Never have I been more glad for a trip to be over, though.

Not quite ready to figure out next steps for the bike. I'll ruminate on that one for a while, then probably strip her down and do a really thorough assessment of her future.

So sorry I've been negligent. Made it home without further problems Sunday. Ended up doing 2800 miles AFTER hitting the deer...nearly 5200 in total.

Thanks for the good vibes, offers to help, etc.

The C10 is a tough old mule...and, apparently, I can handle a thing or two as well. Never have I been more glad for a trip to be over, though.

Not quite ready to figure out next steps for the bike. I'll ruminate on that one for a while, then probably strip her down and do a really thorough assessment of her future.
Show us what she looks like after all of that.

Glad you made it home. Riding the 2,800 miles after the deer strike was probably the best therapy you could have done. After my spill I got back on and rode 800 more miles before putting the bike up for the winter. If I would have waited until the next spring it would have been a much tougher deal to overcome fears and negativity. Being overly cautious doesn't guarantee safety - in fact it might even invite more issues.
After the high side I bought the bike as salvage and repaired it. The front cage framework was tweaked so every time I remove the upper fairings now it's a bear to put things back together. Should have fixed it right but I was hurting from the accident. Yesterday I tried removing the valve cover - which is another story - and the tweaked framework made a tough job even worse. Hope your bike isn't tweaked.

Attachments

• 20230616_132428.jpg
    20230616_132428.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230616_132431.jpg
    20230616_132431.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230616_132435.jpg
    20230616_132435.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230616_140230.jpg
    20230616_140230.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230616_140237.jpg
    20230616_140237.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 72
The repairs in progress.

Attachments

• 20230616_203744.jpg
    20230616_203744.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230616_150350.jpg
    20230616_150350.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230616_150342.jpg
    20230616_150342.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230616_140242.jpg
    20230616_140242.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 58
The ultimate result. Gorilla Tape is the shizz.

Attachments

• 20230617_123708.jpg
    20230617_123708.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230617_123720.jpg
    20230617_123720.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230617_123735.jpg
    20230617_123735.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230617_140218.jpg
    20230617_140218.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230617_140225.jpg
    20230617_140225.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 61
Glad you made it home. Riding the 2,800 miles after the deer strike was probably the best therapy you could have done. After my spill I got back on and rode 800 more miles before putting the bike up for the winter. If I would have waited until the next spring it would have been a much tougher deal to overcome fears and negativity. Being overly cautious doesn't guarantee safety - in fact it might even invite more issues.
After the high side I bought the bike as salvage and repaired it. The front cage framework was tweaked so every time I remove the upper fairings now it's a bear to put things back together. Should have fixed it right but I was hurting from the accident. Yesterday I tried removing the valve cover - which is another story - and the tweaked framework made a tough job even worse. Hope your bike isn't tweaked.
That's exactly why I want to tear it down and give it a really good once-over. If things underneath are too tweaked, it's a no-brainer to move the farkles over to our other C10 and scrap/use for parts. If it's sound, then I need to decide how far I want to go to restore a 25 year old, 122K bike. I'd really like to get 150K out if it.