• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

HL assembly for a 2014

pslshawn

Hi all,

Due to a little incident last week, I need to replace the HL assembly. Fortunately it was just a broken out lens. Unfortunately it was an H & R.

I see them online for all different prices. The dealer says OEM is $640 and he'd part with it for $550. Don't want to get taken either way, but I'll pay for OEM if recommended.

Some direction on which way to go with the assembly, as well as latest/greatest bulbs to run would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post a wanted ad in the classified section. Used parts tend to go for around half of new but depends on which part. Your dealer sounds reasonable. Compare with a big parts house to see if he's competitive. Ask about price matching.

I think I have a NOS headlamp sitting up in the barn. Lawyers took it to court to demonstrate the Modulator that the idjut that pulled out in front of me said he "didn't see". Pretty compelling evidence. Still in the box but getting a little dusty after almost 10 years of sitting in the hay mow. Paid 275 for it. Not sure what shipping is on this thing from INdiana. Hopefully, if I let it go I won't ever need it. Tried to catch the part #s for ya.

20230527_200938.jpg20230527_201241.jpg20230527_200947.jpg20230527_201049.jpg

20230527_200925.jpg

Post a wanted ad in the classified section. Used parts tend to go for around half of new but depends on which part. Your dealer sounds reasonable. Compare with a big parts house to see if he's competitive. Ask about price matching.
Thanks Bud, much appreciated!

I think I have a NOS headlamp sitting up in the barn. Lawyers took it to court to demonstrate the Modulator that the idjut that pulled out in front of me said he "didn't see". Pretty compelling evidence. Still in the box but getting a little dusty after almost 10 years of sitting in the hay mow. Paid 275 for it. Not sure what shipping is on this thing from INdiana. Hopefully, if I let it go I won't ever need it. Tried to catch the part #s for ya.

View attachment 38023View attachment 38025View attachment 38022View attachment 38021

View attachment 38024
Thanks freebird!

No lawyers involved in my incident, but I got lucky. Someone made a left in front of me...not seeing them out of my periphery and 5 mph faster and I would have t-boned 'em. Swerving around the back of 'em wasn't an option with oncoming traffic. Got the bike slowed down to about 3 mph when I 'tapped' the quarter panel just before the tailgate (it was a small pickup). When Connie compressed, somehow just the lens came in contact. The bike sat back down and was too askew for me to hold up, so I gently laid it down and rolled away....as mentioned, they took off.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you want to part with it, but I'm not sure I want to run a modulator.

Are you still running the modulator? And other folks?

Been running a headlight modulator in both my c10 and c14. In my personal experience I haven't had a single person pull out in front of me or make the dreaded left. For me it WORKS!! I had planned on going to led headlights and install the modulator, but it requires a different type then the one I'm currently using and i.just don't want to pay for one that still doing the job.

Thanks freebird!

No lawyers involved in my incident, but I got lucky. Someone made a left in front of me...not seeing them out of my periphery and 5 mph faster and I would have t-boned 'em. Swerving around the back of 'em wasn't an option with oncoming traffic. Got the bike slowed down to about 3 mph when I 'tapped' the quarter panel just before the tailgate (it was a small pickup). When Connie compressed, somehow just the lens came in contact. The bike sat back down and was too askew for me to hold up, so I gently laid it down and rolled away....as mentioned, they took off.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you want to part with it, but I'm not sure I want to run a modulator.

Are you still running the modulator? And other folks?
I think it is time to part with it. Found it last night up in the Mow.

I am no longer running the modulator. Added more lights ....modulator did not stop the dude from pulling out in front of me on a US highway. Problem now is Signal Dynamics IIRC did not keep up with the LED lights and Modulators. I still believe in them as he is one of the few who ever pulled out when I ran them. I believe in more lights too....and a white helmet....

20230521_211930.jpg

THe modulator is not on the unit presently. Not sure what shipping costs from IN. Where are ya located?

That photo doesn't do the bike justice...in real life it looks more like a low flying UFO coming at you!
As far as LEDs go, I think they are numerous makers that would be fine to use. Look for the DOT approval, a very thin mount, and the little hood over (or under) the low beam element. 25-30W will give you enough light, but make sure to properly aim them.