• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Horn Power Wire

I'm hooking up a headlight modulator and need to connect to the horn power wire but cannot get to it so far. Anyone have a tip for accessing the horns or can tell me which wire in the harness is the wire I am looking for? I thought maybe I could just not hook it up, but the modulator uses the horn button to toggle betten the 2 speeds of modulation. As usual thanks in advance for any advice given! Doug Wood DeSoto,IL AMA#1090587

If you want to get to the horn connections you will need to pull off the windscreen, the dash panel (over the instrument cluster), as well as both of the inner fairing panels.

I was afraid that was the case........... I want a second opinion! LOL Is there a way to chase the wiring and tap into the horn leads anywhere else that someone knows of? Doug Wood DeSoto,IL AMA#1090587

doug, here's your second opinion. unfortunately it's the same as jay's, windshield, both inner cowlings (glove boxes), front inner cowling ( the part around the gauges), disconnect speedo cable from instrument cluster, disconnect the two plugs on the instrument cluster left side and remove the two 10mm headed bolts on the bottom of instrument cluster. once you get the instrument cluster out your horn wires will be right behind it. i guess you could look in the manual and figure out what color the wires are and try to tap it somewhere else but then you will probably be cutting into the middle of the harness somewhere and i wouldn't recommend that. it's really not that bad. did you ever get the inner cowling off when you changed your headlight? i know the first time i took mine apart it was a little difficult, it didn't wanna come apart and i was worried about breaking something. i'm not the first owner so idk if they were ever off before. after the first time everything seems to come apart a little easier. hth tom does it have to be the horn wire? or do you just need power controlled by ignition switch?

Well it says to use the horn wire but it could be any switch I suppose, as its just used to toggle from low to hi modulation. I was thinking about tracing te horn wire from the left control and tapping into it but will probably just do it the way you are saying to. What sucks is I had the left cowling, windshield and such out last night but decided that there had to be a better way...........and I put it all back together! :( I'll report back with what I do. Thanks again! Doug Wood DeSoto,IL AMA#1090587

Doug, What brand modulator offers the option of a fast or slow flash? I have a Comagination and love it, though it's only got the fast flash. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Doug, Is that a Signal Dynamics modulator by chance, that is what I'm running. Yeah as the others said, the dis-assembly is best. I even removed the instrument cluster. I mounted the module on the right side inside the fairing around the turn signal flasher area. I peeled back the horn wires to where they exited the main harness on the right side there. There are two wires per horn, one is ground (and it is not a black/yellow wire as most of the harness is) and the other is power. The power one is the one you want, on my '99 it was the black/white stripe wire, a test light will help confirm. And do an ops check before you button up (this means you will have to plug in the instrument cluster if you removed it). Edit to add: the black white wire does come out of the white, 10 pin, male, main connector with the boot over it on the left side of the main fairing. ping me direct if you need. HTH

Yes, its a Signal Dynamics unit. I got it all wired and buttoned up and took it for a 3 hours spin this afternoon. Works great and seems to get the attention that I'm looking for. I could tell several times that cagers were noticing the flashing and thats obviously exactly the idea. The SD unit was quite a bit less expensive and had the features I wanted, so hopefully it lasts a good long while too. Thanks Vic and eveyone else for the help again! Doug Wood DeSoto,IL AMA#1090587