• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hot blooded

Yesterday, while taking my 2000 to work, I noticed a clacking that wasn't there when I test rode it last week prior to purchase (60K miles). The noise was most prevalent at idle, then went away with acceleration. I have read here about the Connie's cam chain tensioner noise....yesterday was about 15-20 degrees colder than when I test rode her; could the temp difference make the noise that much louder? One last note; during my test ride, the engine temp needle got about 1/3rd of the way to max; yesterday, barely moved off of the peg. I'm still getting used to this massive machine! Thanks.

Yes, no, maybe. To little to go on. Sure it can be noisier if cold. Did it do it after warm up? In my mind if you can not hear it all the time and over the engine when you take off then its not a problem... yet. Temp gauge not moving off peg is not normal unless it never did get warm. How cold was it? Another thing that can cause it to take a long time to get off the peg is if someone removed your thermostat. Photos[/url]

It was about 29 degrees ambient with 20 mph of wind coming straight down from North Dakota....BRRRRR if you're standing still, didn't notice too much with all that plastic around me :) I couldn't hear it after beginning to move....and I never did get the warm air on my feet that occured when I test rode her. Other than the clakety-clack, she's great.....plenty of smooth power all the way up to 3,500 RPM, which is where I shift. Now if I could just keep track of all those gears!

Have you found 7th gear yet?? ;p Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649

LOL....not yet. But, I did accelerate a bit harder this morning....took her up to 6,000 RPM to get away from a cager on a cell phone. WOW. There's an evil-spirited fuel-to-thrill converter under all that plastic! Now I know how the Space Shuttle pilots feel at launch! :)

Just wait till you get it all the way up. She will really scream if you let her, especially when you start twisting to the stop. Great for getting off the line and away from the cagers at the light.

If you can convince yourself that you think it is cam chain noise. I think some of the auto cam shaft adjusters hang up. You can remove, inspect and reset it but you have to figure out how to reset and set it again. I hate to suggest this because you can over do it but I have just put an poker in the back and given it a slight push to get it to click to the next tooth on the adjuster. If you over do it though you run the risk of waring out the chain or bearings. If it goes away after its warmed up then I would not worry to much about it though. For the temp problem if there is one... Try running it a bit then let it set idling for a while. Normal driving in mid 70s should have gauge just a bit over low mark or about 10-11:00 o clock. As gauge comes to half way or st8 up the fan should come on and start to cool it. If it never seems to warm up when you drive then I am still worried the Tstat is not there or not working. Photos[/url]

The connie has a dual personality. Below 5000 rpm she is docile, but from 6000-10000 rpm she becomes quite a spirited machine. Anytime you need to get out of the way, just open the wick up and hang on. As for the noise, like Bob, if the noise pretty much goes away once it has warmed up, then I'd not worry about it. tcars John

Thanks for all the info, folks! I don't think there's a temp issue.....the gauge moves, and she warms up, but it's just so cold when I ride in lately that she never gets hot. Wh knows, maybe the eternal winter we're having this year will let up around May :(

Thomas, The Connie rarely registers over warm for me, unless I am caught in Atlanta traffic. Have never seen it get above 3/4, even riding in Panama Beach FL in the summer.

It all sounds normal to me. I live in Dallas and my temp gauge won't move much when the temps are 40 and below. The other noise you are hearing is probably the cam chain. If the bike is running good I would just keep an eye and ear on it. BTW congrats on the new ride. Nothing like a new motorcycle to get the blood pumping. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

My Cam chain tensioner did the exact same thing. Was cold one morning & started "clacking" sound at idle it was horrible. The sound dies out during acceleration. I could still hear it somewhat at speed but it was alot better. I took the cam tensioner out & the spring was bad. I replaced it with a new one from Murph's, adjusted accordingly & everything was good again.

I got tired of hearing mine, so I got a manual tensioner from APE. http://www.aperaceparts.com/ Click on the "ZX Kawasaki" tab, then scroll down the page until you see "TENSIONERS". The model number is KT1100-C. Now if it makes noise I only have my own lazy butt to blame. :)