• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Houston - we have a problem: C-14 lowerring questions- time sensitive

Swampy

Scooter
Hello folks - got questions for you:

Went to drop off bike to have the lowering links installed and mechanic told me I CANT lower front end due to the handlebars being in the way (I should have seen that). How are the rest of you doing this (I am not looking to raise the bars by the way)? :mad:

Also - he says I will HAVE to have an adjustable kcikstand - it is a 2010, do I have to have this or will the existing set up still work? Lowerring links are the Muzzy's non-adjustable ones? :-[

Lastly - somewhat unrelated, those of you who have LOWERED your bars by getting them cut and and welded - how much have you cut them and have you had any issues with bar strength? :motonoises:

Many Thanks for timely answers.

Regards,,Swampy

If you lower your bike and not shorten the kick stand it will be more prone to fall over because it will not have very much lean when on the kickstand like normal...

I used Muzzy's lowering links too.

What handlebars do you have? I had my forks raised 3/4" and there is plenty of room. I have 2" risers (Genmar 406) on though.

Yes, you need an an adjustable sidestand (kickstand) because your stock one will stand the bike straight up once the bike is lowed. Not good.

If you want a center stand, you have have as much as you lowered the bike plus maybe 1/2" cut off it's height, or the Hulk would have trouble getting it on the centerstand.

Second question, whats this about "lowering your bars" ? I lowered the bike, not the handlebars. The handlebars are in the exact same position to my hands they were before I lowered the bike.

Aha - answers make sense:

Kickstand - will look for an adjustable or have my welder buddy tweak mine.

Bars - I didnt realize the only way to lower the front end is to add spacers/rizers - which I do not want. Will look into notching the existing bars a bit when I get them shortened. I need the bike to handle the same - so I need it level - same drop front and rear....why is nothing easy  :))

Bar height - yeah unlike 99% of the folks on this board I am looking to lower the bars about 1-1.5 inches. I grew up on sport bikes and like having an even amount of weight on my hands, inner thighs and feet - this I find lets me ride for entire days without back, neck and butt burn. It also is the prefered posture for my passenger - canted forward....so as wierd as it sounds I am going to lower the bars a bit. Also will try to flatten the seat with a contour change - she HATES the stepped seat. I'll update you guys when I get it sorted out.

Thanks for the inputs!

Swampy

You want to change the height of the handlebars?

Weird.

I came from sportbikes and love my Connie's handlebar position. When you ride 8 hours a day, it helps to sit up some.

But, if you insist, why not get a thicker seat hence increasing comfort and adding lean angle?

Haves you looked at Heli bars?  I know they are pricey, and it seems to me they can be adjusted lower.

yeah - I ahev looked at the heli's - pricey and not big fan of the look (in the eye of the beholder right?)

I might have to look at adding the spacer to raise the bars and cut them down....seems silly though doesnt it? :))

Swampy said:
yeah - I ahev looked at the heli's - pricey and not big fan of the look (in the eye of the beholder right?)

I might have to look at adding the spacer to raise the bars and cut them down....seems silly though doesnt it? :))

Yep, sounds silly to me. You could have purchased a ZX14, put Givi side- and top-cases on it, and had one like mine (sort of) which I traded on a C14. Then you would have the added performance and handling the ZX14 has over the C14 too.

If you want sportbike handlebars so bad.

I heated my side stand and bent it ,and use a 2x4 under the rear wheel to get it up on center stand genmar risers tubes will slide up

I sectioned 3/4" out of my sidestand after installing the Muzzy links. 1/2" would probably have been enough. I didn't raise the front tubes and it handles great! Not sure how great because I installed new Michelin PR-2's at the same time and now it is perfect! :D I loop a soft tie down loop through the slot just in front of the passenger foot peg and pull straight up on that while standing on the center stand and it's more effort now but still works.