• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

how do you wash your front wheel?

c14blair

Training Wheels
i was thinking about putting a small scissor jack under the oil pan area, like when they replaced the front tire.

I actually did this the other day to clean my front wheel.  I put the bike on the center stand and wrapped a ratchet strap around the luggage rack (aftermarket-Premier Cycle Accessories).  I then ran the strap to the tow hook on the front of my truck.  I slowly tightened the strap until the rear tire was resting on the ground.  The front tire was raised at least an inch off the ground and the bike was still steady on the center stand.

My driveway is a downward angle from my garage so I was able to get the down force on the back of the bike to raise the front of it.

C14 blair said:
i was thinking about putting a small scissor jack under the oil pan area, like when they replaced the front tire.

I wash mine on a concrete floor, with the bike on the center stand, when the front tire is wet it is easy to rotate, just grab a spoke and pull.

I use the jack that I borrowed out of an old Dodge Neon. The shape is perfect for holding up most motorcycles.

I also use my leaf blower to dry off the brakes.  I dislike that rust that forms on the rotors and the drying prevents it.  Try to do this where the neighbors cannot see you, though.  You will have explaining to do if they catch you.

Centerstand the bike, wash the exposed portion. Lift up on the bottom of the bike under the headlight with one hand (or lever your shoulder under it and lift) and then with the wheel lifted off the ground reach down with the other hand and rotate the wheel. Easy as pie.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Centerstand the bike, wash the exposed portion. Lift up on the bottom of the bike under the headlight with one hand (or lever your shoulder under it and lift) and then with the wheel lifted off the ground reach down with the other hand and rotate the wheel. Easy as pie.

+1

This works well on the fairing bikes. On the naked bikes I just grab the spoke and pull up (like the bike is in reverse). It normally slides around with little effort (especially when the ground is wet).

I don't even shoulder the bike up.  Just grab a spoke and rotate.  The front is really light when the bike is on the center stand.

attatch wheel cleaning brushes to the forks with some duct tape, and make sure the brush end is in contact with the wheels, spray the tires and wheels with your desired cleaner (i prefer a mixture of brake cleaner, engine degreaser, fast orange, wd-40, and febreeze), pour soap in a puddle of water that can be easily located on most local roads, and ride through it a few times. then bribe the neighbor kid into drying it off by threatening to hide his bicycle from him.  :))

Just be careful of the carrier and brake rotors, very easy to knock them out of alignment.  Then you open a whole can of worms that never seem to end.....