• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How much for a new paint job?

caeman

Moped
I have come to the conclusion that I am probably going to have this Connie for a while. They money will simply not be available to move up to a C14 for a quite a while. I do think it would be a lot prettier if I spent a little cash on a new paint job, at much less cost than a whole new bike. So what kind of cost would I be looking at to get this beast redressed in Candy Apple Red? Or maybe a color combo of Red and White? What sort of shops would do this? Are standard auto-body shops that do paint generally set up for motorcycle work, as well? : 44k miles

I checked into getting my KZ1000 LTD repainted once and was quoted $800 the tank by itself, for one color. And that was from a neighbor with his own body shop! Best shot is to ride around and visit several body shops in your area. You would have to disassemble the fairing, tailpiece, side covers and tank and remove EVERYTHING in order for them to paint it. They may balk because of painting the large amount of plastic or may need a certain paint that would work on that and the tank. Good luck - it will be interesting to hear how things work out. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

Ya know, I'm kinda curious about that too... I have a 2003 that I've managed to rough up a tad and I'm curious how much I could get it done for. I will watch this thread for more input. Unfortunately I don't have anything to add yet. Aging is scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker!

Oh, you had to say "candy". A candy paint job is about the most expensive thing you could ask for. It begins with a base coat like silver or gold, but black, white and other stuff can be used depending upon your desired effect. Then the expensive part comes in. The candy is a colored clear, so it has to be applied perfectly even. Any variance in thickness will be a variance in color, so many hours can go into a nice paint job. Here's a few pictures of a paint job that would have sold for about $3000.00. http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/Grape%20Jelly/ There was a lot of smoothing handwork done on the tank, and the front fender had a few hours of handwork filling a hole with weld and smoothing the rivets flush, so just the prep and paint would have gone for about $2500.00 This was a little more than a standard candy, though. The candy coat has color shifting flakes in it, so there were three layers containing various amounts of flake applied over the base coat, followed by three layers of just clear. So we have two coats of silver, three coats of candy/flake, and three coats of clear. 8 coats of time and effort. And when it's just right, it gets more handwork to make it super smooth and shiny. The cost of materials will scare you. For about $200.00 you can buy enough paint, catalyst, reducer, etc. to do a small touch-up. The parts shown in the pictures had about $500.00 worth of liquids applied. Now, if you still want something cool painted on your parts we might could hook you up, but shipping from Ohio to Seattle to Ohio would jack the price up even more. Hopefully someone close to you can help. Find out where the cool hot rods gather, and you should be able to get the names of painters who are good.

Chad, I would think it would not be over $1000.00 if there is not any repair work to be done. Any body shop would be happy to do the work so shop around a little. Having the parts ready to prep and paint will help a lot. Shops that specialize in bikes will charge more because they tend to do more custom work. If you just want to repaint the same color it should not be to hard to get it done reasonably.

No idea what the cost would be for a Concours, but about five years ago for my Triumph it was around $600 for the tank and fenders and that was with me buying the paint! I would have shot it myself, but lacquer and the Florida humidity don't mix very well. But, with the economy being what it is now, you might get a good deal by checking various paint shops. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I did "Midnight" a few years ago for the cost of a paint kit on eBay. I think I paid $70 or so for the kit. Primer, base, clear, about a gallon of each. After buying a spray gun and some other small tools, I think I had $150 in it. For what I got out of it, I was pretty happy. Few small runs I could live with, but by no means a crappy job. The key is a lot of prep work, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding.... the base has to be perfect to the finish to be perfect. I've got a gallon of Omaha Orange (think Dukes of Hazzard orange) in the garage I'm thinking about shooting over that bike once I get it stripped again. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png