• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How often do you replace your Helmet?

How often do you replace your Helmet?

• Every 5 years

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • Every 7 years

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Over 7 years

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I change the liner and keep using it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • When it smells bad and makes my head itch

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

ConcoursKZ

Sport Tourer
I read somewhere that you should change your helmet every 5 years. Some mumbo jumbo about resin breakdown. Plus I saw a closeout helmet at Iron Pony the other day that was at least 4 years old and they were selling it as new. My EXO 700 is three years old and in great condition and I bought a couple liners at $17 each online. It shows no damage. How long should I keep it? And is there any truth to life expectancy outside of it getting dropped or involved in a crash?

I replace mine when the liner loosens up, and the helmet starts to slide around.  I've found that takes about 5 years of riding for me.  By then I'm usually jonesing for a new lid anyway.

I've heard the 5 year thing and was told it was because the UV's can weaken the shell over time. Really it when it just feels loose and the interior padding starts to get worn out.

From the Snell Foundation:
Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

My $0.02, I've also heard the foam starts to become brittle over time and stops protecting from impacts like it should.

I think helmets should be replaced every few years if your concerned with safety and having best possible protection. I know Schuberth has a helmet retire date and they say replace when involved in an accident.

I realize most folks will be horrified by this, but I'm wearing the same helmet I bought when I got my first mid-life crisis motorcycle back in August of 2000.  I don't have any problem with the concept of replacing it.  In fact, from time to time I've looked seriously at a new lid.  But there are always things which are screaming louder for my money.

ChipDoc said:
I realize most folks will be horrified by this, but I'm wearing the same helmet I bought when I got my first mid-life crisis motorcycle back in August of 2000.  I don't have any problem with the concept of replacing it.  In fact, from time to time I've looked seriously at a new lid.  But there are always things which are screaming louder for my money.

:eek:

They had helmets back then? Is it made of leather?

;D :nananana:

5 years or when my head hits the ground, whichever comes 1st (hopefully the former!)

It has nothing to do with UV or the outer shell.
The shell materials vary from polycarbonate to glass/kevlar/carbon fibre in resin.

It's the "crumple zone" or the expanded polystyrene that degrades over time.
This stuff is the one hit crumple zone that saves your head.
Over time exposure to various chemicals (including gasoline vapours and ozone) cause it to become brittle which weakens it's crumple resistance.
That said you could probably stretch it to 10 years if you stored the lid in a pure nitrogen atmosphere when not in use.  :rotflmao:

ChipDoc said:

Chip I have never had one last that long this far south without the inside getting nasty from sweat.  How do you keep it from not getting nasty?  My new one has full replaceable liner and my guess is even with waring a scull cap it will need replacing in a year or two.

smithr1 said:
Chip I have never had one last that long this far south without the inside getting nasty from sweat.  How do you keep it from not getting nasty?

I solve that problem in my usual low-cost way - I simply accept the fact that it's nasty.  :(

ChipDoc said:
smithr1 said:
Chip I have never had one last that long this far south without the inside getting nasty from sweat.  How do you keep it from not getting nasty?

I solve that problem in my usual low-cost way - I simply accept the fact that it's nasty.  :(

I use woolite on the pads first sign of 'funk'...  Probably every other month in the summer.
I usually wear a helmet liner/cap on the hot days...  My commuting (GMAX) helmet is almost 3 years
old, and it's about ready for retirement.  My "long haul" Shoei is still in good shape only washed
the pads once/twice... so far.

I'll likely replace the Shoei at 5-6 years, with another Shoei.  The GMAX is getting replaced with a better quality helmet with an attic fan bolted on top (preferably)...  :eek:

Everyone has brought up some great points of discussion on the useful life of a helmet. In the event of a collision the helmet needs to be retired. Period. It did its job.  However, short of an impact the primary component of concern is the impact absorbing liner (the engineered expanded polystyrene). In particular exposure to VOC's (volatile Organic Compounds) will breakdown polystyrene faster than anything else. VOC's can come from any number of common chemicals we have in the garage including paints, benzene, gasoline, denatured alcohol, thinners, turpentine's, etc.... The liner will also be affected by hair and skin products as well as our own skin oil, and sweat. In addition the frequency of use, the multitudes of on and offs will stretch and strain the helmet. Honestly after a couple three years of hard use my helmet is just worn out. 

Besides my wife buys several new purses every year, so I can rationalize a new helmet every three to five easily enough!  :great:

ZG said:
ChipDoc said:

:eek:

They had helmets back then? Is it made of leather?

;D :nananana:

Maybe coconuts

Good topic.  Have asked lot of guys here... And I Will also look for a new (red) one...
Red because traffic here is very dense in THE heart of europe and now I use my bike everything day to drive beween alle that traffic...

Average here was About 6 years... Mine ...10...  Was looking also because of THE buffering on this bike (incl an x creen mra for that problem)

Thx for convincing me 'en plus'
:great:

beegee said:
Good topic.  Have asked lot of guys here... And I Will also look for a new (red) one...
Red because traffic here is very dense in THE heart of europe and now I use my bike everything day to drive beween alle that traffic...

Average here was About 6 years... Mine ...10...  Was looking also because of THE buffering on this bike (incl an x creen mra for that problem)

Thx for convincing me 'en plus'
:great:

Red is the worst color for night.  Look at cars at night and tell me which you can tell the color of first and furthest.  It sure will not be red.