• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How to preserve a motorcycle for long term storage (>30 years)?

x01660

On a Connie in a neighborhood near you
Title says it all; Say I wanted to get a C10 and C14, and put them in some sort of long term storage, how would you go about it?

Assume that you can remove parts from the bike (Wheels, carbs, etc) and store them next to the bike, but with the idea that in 30-40 years, you could at least get the vehicle started and running, if unoptimally.

Also assume you do NOT have some climate controlled garage with around the clock security; we're talking about something like a barn find, but a bit more upkept.

And if this is a silly notion, let's hear that too!

-Z

Anything made of rubber would take a set. Once motion starts again, seal effectiveness would be much lower than when new.
I would expect issues with fork seals, bearing and hub deals, carb needle valves, etc.

Anything made of rubber would take a set. Once motion starts again, seal effectiveness would be much lower than when new.
I would expect issues with fork seals, bearing and hub deals, carb needle valves, etc.

Would there be a way to have a set of rubber replacement parts (seals, gaskets, etc) that you could store beside the bike, and keep them from dry rotting? So have that, along with the fork oil, gear oil, etc.

-Z

I suppose if you stored them sealed, and kept them from excessive heat, they should be good as new.
FYI, we have a 34 year old motorhome, and as far as I can tell, the diesel injection pump is all original, with all seals and gaskets still doing their jobs, but I don't think it has stood still for more than a few months throughout iys life.

I always heard that rubber bits last better in a cool dark place. I’ve also seen recommendations to fog the cylinders a bit, but not certain. I’ll see what our mechanic friends say.🍿

I always heard that rubber bits last better in a cool dark place. I’ve also seen recommendations to fog the cylinders a bit, but not certain. I’ll see what our mechanic friends say.🍿
Also away from electric motors (which generate ozone, which oxidizes rubber at a much higher rate than regular O2).

This could actually be a fun COG project; I'd be willing to spring (at the end of the year) for a C10 to put in long term storage. I don't have a place to put it, but I'm sure someone does. Have it be like a time capsule that we open up later. Could be interesting....

Also, do you think a C14 might fair better, on account of it being fuel injected? So you're not dealing with leaky carbs?

-Z

Would there be a way to have a set of rubber replacement parts (seals, gaskets, etc) that you could store beside the bike, and keep them from dry rotting? So have that, along with the fork oil, gear oil, etc.

-Z
I'm experimenting with that a bit myself at the moment, as I have some spare rubber parts for my C10, as well as my ZX600-C. Some of these parts are NLA (especially for the 600), so I want to save a few NOS parts that I've tracked down for the future. My current plan is wiping a bit of pure silicone oil on them and then sealing them in zipper plastic bags, possibly with some oxygen-absorber packets (the kind used for food storage), and/or maybe vacuum-sealed. I plan to keep them in a basement storage closet, but away from my boiler room (which as an exposed electric motor for the circulation pump).

Ask me in 20 years how well it worked, haha.