• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hunt for Red October 2013

ratherberiding

While enjoying the visit with the bunch that made the trip North last weekend I was told of this October Ride. I have checked the Event Calendar to not find this listed on the October Event Schedule. Could any one help me with the planned dates so I could possibly book some time from work and join in the Hunt!!

+1

Last year's HFRO was my first COG event and I had a great time, despite the lousy weather. I believe this year's is Oct 12-13.

Andrew, confirming that it's on October 12-13 this year per the last newsletter. It's odd that it is not on the calendar.

bajakirch said:
+1

Last year's HFRO was my first COG event and I had a great time, despite the lousy weather. I believe this year's is Oct 12-13.

And I believe that Jeff should come again to HFRO even though he brought the Rain with him last year.  ;D

He did have a very nice writeup of the event so I think he should be allowed to do it again.
:great:

If there are no objections, I would love to go "on the hunt"... "And remember Jack Ryan, be careful what you shoot at, things in here don't react well to bullets."  :rotflmao:

I am trying to decide between doing this and the Spider Ride down in Missouri.  I can only make one trip, any comments on that? People that have been to both? Better riding area?

LSgiant has done both......I have yet to make the Spider.

I know the roads are great at HFRO, and I think it tends to have more attending, but I could be wrong on that.

2Fast said:
LSgiant has done both......I have yet to make the Spider.

I know the roads are great at HFRO, and I think it tends to have more attending, but I could be wrong on that.

the people who attend HFRO tend to be better looking than others who don't....  ::)

I can try to be a little more helpful.  I enjoy both the Spider Ride and HFRO but they are quite different:

THE RIDE
Spider ride is a weekend of self-directed riding, starting and ending at the campsite, plus whatever you do to get there and back home.
HFRO is a half day ride from Sparta WI to Dodgeville WI, plus whatever you do to get there and back home.

ACCOMMODATIONS
Most people camp at Spider Ride, though a few stay in cabins or motels. 
Most everyone stays at the quirky and comfortable Don Q Inn for the Hunt.

FOOD
Plain camping food, plentiful and tasty, at the Spider.
Nice catered banquet at a restaurant next door to the Don Q for HFRO.

WEATHER
Usually good but can be hot and stormy at the Spider.
Usually good but can be cold and wet at the HFRO.

So choose the one that appeals to YOU if you can't do both.  You really can't go wrong.  Both events have been going for many years and have strong followings and experienced organizers. 

Jerry Roland

Thanks Jerry, that was a great breakdown.  My initial thoughts were would I rather spend September down south, or October up north.  Both have weather prospects for being awesome with a chance of suck.  Ill have to talk with the passenger, though I think she will like the shorter distance to Wisconsin than going down into Missouri. 

Last year 50 people from 13 states and 4 COG regions attended the "SPIDER".      28 arrived on Thur.

Andrew if you have the time I would do the Spider Ride. You will meet more folks, the roads are better than Wisconsin, and it is just not so rushed.

The Hunt is pretty much a ride to eat and head back. The only time to Socialize is in the parking lot before the meal and a little while afterward. Most everyone is in return home mode Sunday morning.

It really depends how much time you have.

I made my reservation at the Don Q on the 9th, other than the rooms they were holding for us until the 10th it sounded like they were running out of regular rooms. Get your reservations in and register for the banquet, only 3 registered now, git er done.

Anyone possibly interested in splitting a room? I'll be solo for the event, and it would make it much more financially feasible this way. Anyone else want to save some bucks? PM or e-mail if interested.
Thanks in advance,
Cafefill

I was able to reserve a room on Sept 12 at the COG rate ($76 tax included) but procrastinators are on borrowed time and dependent upon the good graces of the fine folks at the Don Q.  To second Randy, get a room soon or risk paying a lot more or being left out. 

Banquet reservations are due Oct 5 so there's still some time for that if, like me, you're spousal unit is undecided.  :popcorn:

Jerry

Got a room, splitting with Roger Dodger. I will call the liquor store to make sure they have enough cold spotted cow that weekend. :beerchug:

I just booked a standard room with two doubles at the Don Q for the event at the reduced rate- no worries. The gal told me that there were now 18 rooms booked for the event, so they're going. I'm still looking for someone to share a room with if anyone's interested. Just let me know if you're as interested in saving money as I am.
Cafefill

OK, I'm going to hijack this thread for a minute, so bear with me :great:

As many of you know, at the national rally in Idaho Falls, we had a fund raiser to donate funds to the ALS foundation. This is to help and honor Larry Leranth, a long time COG member that has selflessly contributed to COG in so many ways over the years. He has ALS, and now is the time for COG to give back to Larry and help make a difference.

Please go to Larry's Lineup team page and make a contribution BEFORE October 12th. http://webwi.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/Wisconsin?team_id=247051&pg=team&fr_id=9254

Now for the KICKER!!

A local COG member has offered to match the first $500 dollars of contributions that are identified with COG on Larry's contribution list!!  How cool is that ?!?! :-\

So, please take a minute and visit the web page, throw in whatever you can, and be sure to tag it with COG!

When I started this tread I had no Idea that I would have to back out ..

BUT after visiting the Emerg Dept at our Hospital last wednesday and was diagnosed with an Umbilical Hernia. I guess being in the Freight Business for all these  years and possibly not being in the best physical shape I should be....I had a break through sort of speaking!

When I lift things , push or pull a Pallet Jack ,sneeze ,cough and various other things my guts come out my belly button. So far I just push them back in with no ill affects but the thought of being 600 miles from the house at the farthest point I guess I am a bit concerned if Shit happens. 

I have a reservation made at the DonQ for the Saturday night that I will sadly be cancelling .Work has been good with only having me do full trailer deliveries where the customer does the unloading or just dropping trailers at customers and going back when they call them empty.

Hoped to come but I don't want to be thinking " What if " the whole time.

Waiting on a consult with a surgeon and till then I can plan for 2014.

Happy riding to All.

Andrew,

Hi, new member here,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Wondering if your doctor(s) have advised you not to travel or if it might still be possible with care and elastic bandage?

Outcome is usually good with a mesh implant and proper rehab, though.  Future should be bright for most all activities.  I have a friend who is back after a year or so lifting incredible weights in the gym without concern
for his repairs.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi PaulAB, I live north of the line(Canada) and being 600 miles from home is just a bit of a concern, If I sneeze the dare thing pops out! Hate to have a situation of lost footing , having to over exert and make things worse. so far it stays in when I push it back in but the thought of a rupture or a strangulation issue make me side on caution.  Picking up oil and filter this weekend, Looks like into the trailer for the winter season next weekend.

Get that fixed over the winter so we can see you again next summer Andrew :) :motonoises: :motonoises:

The itinerary is on the Calendar. Yes, you could do it as a day trip, but it will be a long day.......depending on where you start and stop.

JS_racer said:
is it possible to do this a day trip ?? not finding a itinerary for the ride and stuff.
thanks

A very long day ride Joel.  Noon in Sparta is no big deal, but the end of the ride is a long ways from home.  I'd go, but I have a class of 50 students for DNR Firearm Safety to teach all weekend. 

Sadly, I have to rescind my registration for this event.

I've been called in to work this weekend.

Stupid life, always getting in the way of my fun.

thanks guys, i'll check the calander.
as far as a long day, just put in 500 on sunday in the twisties to get to slimy crud and back  :beerchug:

hmm, Dodgeville seems like a haul. lol  240 to the door direct,  :motonoises:

JS_racer said:
as far as a long day, just put in 500 on sunday in the twisties to get to slimy crud and back  :beerchug:

If you go direct you miss a lot of the fun

LSGiant said:
JS_racer said:

direct back ?? yep, not an enjoyable route. the day seems confusing to me, starts in stillwater then south to sparta. from sparta the mn guys are making a stop on the way to down, then there are three routes to dodgeville. ?? so i can look at the routes and pick one ??
just thinking about the return trip, not sure i want to be hauling butt in the twisties in the dark, but i don't mind the dark.
might just pull off before dodgeville, and start my return later afternoon. is there any eta for dodgeville ?? thanks

is there a purposed route to sparta ?? (for the MN guys??)      :beerchug:

JS_racer said:
LSGiant said:
JS_racer said:

direct back ?? yep, not an enjoyable route. the day seems confusing to me, starts in stillwater then south to sparta. from sparta the mn guys are making a stop on the way to down, then there are three routes to dodgeville. ?? so i can look at the routes and pick one ??
just thinking about the return trip, not sure i want to be hauling butt in the twisties in the dark, but i don't mind the dark.
might just pull off before dodgeville, and start my return later afternoon. is there any eta for dodgeville ?? thanks

is there a purposed route to sparta ?? (for the MN guys??)      :beerchug:

I'd be real tempted to join you, but.... My classroom duties have been reduced to only 3 hours on Saturday.  11-2.  Also I just found out my daughter is coming down Friday.  She does like to ride, but not that far, and at a VERY leisurely pace.  I can't complain- a 13yo girl that will still ride with her dad.... Not sure how much longer that will still be considered cool... for her. 

The route to Sparta from Stillwater will be down the river road turning off before Nelson on D then taking the alphabet roads the rest of the way, some towns we will be going through, Modena, Independence, Ettrick, Mindoro. Pulling into the Sparta Family Restaurant about 12:30.
After lunch you have three choices to ride to Didgeville, hook up with someone who knows the best route and hang on for a great fall ride. For a more sedated ride there will be a couple two up riders going through Wildcat Mountain that will welcome anyone to tag along.

likesbikes said:
The route to Sparta from Stillwater will be down the river road turning off before Nelson on D then taking the alphabet roads the rest of the way, some towns we will be going through, Modena, Independence, Ettrick, Mindoro. Pulling into the Sparta Family Restaurant about 12:30.
After lunch you have three choices to ride to Didgeville, hook up with someone who knows the best route and hang on for a great fall ride. For a more sedated ride there will be a couple two up riders going through Wildcat Mountain that will welcome anyone to tag along.

Randy - What time do think the group will be passing thru Prescott?

The other "Other" Brian is joining us on the  hunt this year and since he lives in Farmington I think Prescott would be a good spot for him to meet up with the group. 

i'm in farmington also. prescott would be great to hook up!! bp or freedom, or somewhere else would be great for me also.
(i know, geezzzz this guy is needy, lol. shorter day, start here, .....  ;) )

not feeling so well this morning, so not 100% sure i can be there, prescott would be a closer start.

I'll see everyone in Dodgeville. I'm meeting a few brave souls on a slab run to visit Larry.

Stronie will meet the group in Sparta for a twisty afternoon. He promised to have cold beer for me when I arrive.

The parking lot racing for this event is excellent. We'll probably be able to get the Government back in business, balance the budget and get surplus refund checks good for new motorcycles before it's time to go to dinner. The food pretty good, too. I wonder is the chef with the BIG knife will be working again this year?

See you Saturday.

JS_racer said:
i'm in farmington also. prescott would be great to hook up!! bp or freedom, or somewhere else would be great for me also.
(i know, geezzzz this guy is needy, lol. shorter day, start here, .....  ;) )

not feeling so well this morning, so not 100% sure i can be there, prescott would be a closer start.

We will be leaving the Stillwater Perkins at 8:30 so we should be going through Prescott by 9:15ish.
Make it the Freedom station for the hook up. There will be one break at Pepin, then it's making time to meet up in Sparta.

The other "Other" Brian and I are going to meet north of Red Wing at 9:00am.  We will cross the river in Red Wing and head south on 35 to the county D turnoff.  Perhaps we will catch-up with the gang at the Pepin stop.  Otherwise we will see everyone in Sparta. 

For those that Will ride tomorrow and Sunday be safe.Looks like good weather!!

Received a claim # today from Workman's Comp. Now to move forward to have surgery.

Next year We Will Ride Together  :)

Andrew-ratherberiding-Morgan said:

Received a claim # today from Workman's Comp. Now to move forward to have surgery.

:beerchug:

I hope everyone had a great time at this year's HFRO.

To spite the employment gods for making me work on such a great day for fall riding, I rode the bike to work.

New member here, just back from HFRO.  Great wx, great ride, very friendly and welcoming people. 

Not only had a great time and found new neighbors; but also came out ahead with a very nice golf shirt.

First COG event for me and if it is any indication of the national organization, then it is going to be a very good year. 

Already booked the hotel for the Silverdamnit anniversary rally.

Cheers,

Paul B

Andrew-ratherberiding-Morgan said:

Looking forward to it Amdrew. The weather, the riding and banquet were fantastic. Ken. Mclurg had a nice chili feed Sunday too. Another great COG event......and no tickets either ;)

Another great Hunt :beerchug: is in the record book! I missed saying adios to a bunch of folks in the morning due to my early departure. I was on the road at 5:45 in the fog and dark.....riding some fine twisties heading north. I only had to practice my threshold breaking once for a yearling that was sauntering across the road as I came along....frickin deer :-\ :-\

Thanks again to everyone that made a visit to Larry Leranth, made a donation to his fund raising team for the ALS foundation, or signed his banner. His team goal was $5000 and it was soundly beaten by reaching $8,385.00  :)

Some photos from the event right here  :popcorncouple: http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/bpsnow1/library/HFRO%202013

Nice pictures; thanks for posting them.

You guys had a great turnout -- much more than the soggy one I attended last year.

I'll keep my eye on the calendar for next year's event. Hopefully the stars will line up better for me on that one.

What? No snow?

We were able to turn off the A/C the other day for almost half a day!

Looks like a kick butt turn out.

Hope to see some or all y'all in Johnson City, with a fresh assortment of malted beverages.

:motonoises: :motonoises: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Edit to add: Uh oh. Was I allowed to post in North Central now with the new forum alignment?  >:D

SteveJ. said:
What? No snow?

We were able to turn off the A/C the other day for almost half a day!

Looks like a kick butt turn out.

Hope to see some or all y'all in Johnson City, with a fresh assortment of malted beverages.

:motonoises: :motonoises: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Edit to add: Uh oh. Was I allowed to post in North Central now with the new forum alignment?  >:D

I know!! Hell, it barely rained :-\  I think we had around 50 bikes/riders there for the event.........that's pretty darn good. Next year should be awesome, it's the 20th HUNT, and rumor has it it may be a 2 day event to allow ample time for proper celebration. You oughta come up Steve!  :)

See you in JC for sho :))

Unless I've pulled the pin(it could happen), it will be purty tough to make the time. I need a job that has at least 8 weeks of vaca.