• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hwy 101 and CA-1 to San Fransisco

Daboo

I'm planning on a trip south in mid-August to see our youngest daughter "defend her thesis" for her PhD on August 15th. My plan is to go down Hwy 101 from Washington till it turns into CA-1 in California. I've never ridden (or driven) the coast highway.

Cq5J5-c_wh9gPatw1BsPjW8MJCLThHIi9bamln3AEQQUoAam772nPzwMAQD8xMRzPX3buZ-5Cz-ugJDYC9n-gERUAmY-E0VrrlcToVD-7g6O29j0D9XY2atPxc2fOuHteM0-EIXv4YBS798UBlovQCkOVldHAjCvr_2afCV-7UDf7vEHIhQWxZcPQP645Tjgl2q_tV57n4aU_f8O7QSlsDMhaKBnsHjMFFxF5DZVvDfd2f1upBGr9QvKtK9ocunKcThpPFzIW93OiTbi0_amdDKV4BNmLtiLWv5FlIwZv2GVeefoiqIA4OOA2MMOVdbKKEkRuGLzIm_KT_Ol3vpNN-Hxuv2rxUmYTsaWEcX_iAMKeCaiI9yGLLufgugGmtd47Pyf72mWmEM7Oh8ypgrWLEiwJ4s6BI4aqjUwhnRzr5REH7z3sFu0gSQm5PcnrrJ4W4WG5otA_P0q6hBGXH8Hob5z0Dr2NxRIuUnj8CR7MxsOD20gqVqaiVZ0rc7RvW1Oe_dxQLfDoFY93UqtYnukiSemq3bsug-9MTjEETk1SgxGKFEyN8zS2gKAi9tFvgfu10DyEM8PspNaYpaNTgRQkyu6dMfyp579LQk6VPOSmgRItdkGG20W-HZ28UppUb2Le15rn6gMrupRf-ACOwGT06kr-N386-iwWA=w714-h870-no

So are there any "must see" stops I need to make?

Thanks,
Chris

Unless you have a lot of time stay on 101 where 1 cuts off just past Bodega Bay. You will end up behind some RV doing 20 mph and nowhere to pass. It is winding and slow. Really slow. Most of it is inland anyway so not a lot to see.

FTB530 said:
Drive through the tree in Leggit and get the  picture!

All or as many of the redwood groves as you can fit in. As incredible as pictures of those giants are there's nothing like standing at the base of one.

Thanks!

So you're saying to say on 101 through this final section, and just get it over with???

Chris

Attachments

• San Mateo, CA to Bodega Bay.jpg
    San Mateo, CA to Bodega Bay.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 115
You don’t just have to get over with. Just be warned that it’s a slow, winding road. You can’t pass and to me it’s not a lot of fun doing 20 mph on a winding road. Try it. You might get lucky!

There is a ongoing road closure on hwy 1 just north of the Hearst Castle area. Its been closed for a while due to a massive mudslide last year I believe. Check ahead to see status. I could not get through that section in early June this year.

Mark it is open now! Highway 1 runs all the way through now! Woohoo!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great: