• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hwy 64 along Ocoee River is CLOSED

JohnC

Street Cruiser
Due to a huge rockslide, Highway 64 along the Ocoee River is closed. This is in Polk county in Tennessee. This would be between Ducktown, Tn and Cleveland, Tn. They expect it to take about 3 weeks to get it cleared and the road repaired. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Central Jawja AAD

I been there several times. I saw a mini van crashed into the rock wall once. I wonder if that is what started the slide? Nice enough road when the traffic is low. Photos[/url]

Sorry, the mini-van didn't cause it. We have had a LOT of rain and the hill finally gave way. This last storm dropped more rain that we normally get in the entire month of Nov. in less than 48 hrs. If you saw Jay Leno tonight, that segment where he was picking a flower along the road, that was the hillside. A videographer just happened to be there and caught it on video. tcars John

That stretch of road has a history of being unstable, so this is no surprise (other than having it caught on video, that is). Just a vivid reminder to keep your options open on curvy mountain roads running alongside an embankment. COG #8892 CDA #0309 So glad this Vol can tour!