• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I didn't drop it. Gravity grabbed it.

jbswear

Bicycle
I've had this bike less than a month.  We haven't even made the first payment.

I don't care about the damage--it can be fixed.  I care about the $500 deductible.

But wait, there's good news!  It fell on the right side.  Which means that the exhaust was damaged.  GEICO called it $1k just for the pipe.  So...a new Delkevic will be replacing it, and the difference in price will cover the deductible.  Which means I'm not in so much trouble with the missus (who bought the bike for me)!

Oh, you want to know what happened?  Fine.

I was done in the garage for the evening--I'm a pen turner/wood worker.  I have to move the two bikes (Connie and a long chopper I built) out of the garage to move my equipment around when I want to build something.  I pushed the chopper in and then the Connie.  The Connie didn't quite fit, so I backed it out and parked it on our sloped driveway.  I *thought* it was in gear--the neutral indicator was off.

I backed the chopper up and pushed it back in a bit more to the left, and just as I was getting off of it, heard the scraping sound of the Connie's kickstand on the asphalt.  *Just* as I was able to run to it and *just* before I could grab the brake, it fell on its right side.

And kept sliding.

The kickstand left a mark 6' long in the driveway as it slid backwards, and then the now-broken footpeg left a 7" long gouge.

Damage: 

mirror snapped off
bar end scuffed
brake lever scuffed
turn signal gouged
upper, middle, lower fairings gouged
right bag gouged
exhaust gouged

Crash bars are looking really nice right now and I've learned to put a chock behind the wheel.

4_zpswxa7s38x.jpg

1_zpsesejjtv8.jpg

5_zpsm3qbtko5.jpg

2_zps91ewxaqw.jpg

3_zpsk1wnfocr.jpg

I'm really glad that you weren't hurt and that Connie's damage was minor, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

Crash bars are looking really nice right now and I've learned to put a chock behind the wheel.

Yup tip over bars (aka crash bars) would have saved some if not all the damage.

Actually in MOST cases if the bike rolls forward is when it will fall over SO a block in front of the front wheel would work better.
But you have to get off the bike to do that - What I do is release the clutch lever and then roll the bike forward till it stops THEN put down
the kick stand.

Sorry you found out the hard way the need for tip over bars.  I had my bike about 4 months before I got bars put on.
Haven't drop it yet, but hopefully more protected if I ever do.

ChipDoc said:
I'm really glad that you weren't hurt and that Connie's damage was minor, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

I plan on joining soon.

SilverConnieRider said:

Yup tip over bars (aka crash bars) would have saved some if not all the damage.

Actually in MOST cases if the bike rolls forward is when it will fall over SO a block in front of the front wheel would work better.
But you have to get off the bike to do that - What I do is release the clutch lever and then roll the bike forward till it stops THEN put down
the kick stand.

Sorry you found out the hard way the need for tip over bars.  I had my bike about 4 months before I got bars put on.
Haven't drop it yet, but hopefully more protected if I ever do.

I've never parked my bike facing downhill in more than thirty years of riding.  Hope that I never have to.