• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I have an oil leak

olebiker

Training Wheels
I found today when I pulled the bags off that I have some leakage where the rear drive meets the swing arm. I assume that is just a gasket failure?

Yes. Unfortunately its most likely the bevel gear case gasket. It was on mine, and I hear this is not too uncommon. This is a reasonable job. Not too overly complicated. If you can remove the rear tire and shock for example. And do stuff like a valve job, you can do this. -- But removing the bevel drive means removing the whole swingarm, rear tire, final drive, etc. And then removing shifter, clutch slave, water pump etc on the front side. All to get the bevel drive out. Assuming this is the problem, and your going to do all this, consider the 7th gear unit from Steve in Sunny Florida. You are literally going to do all the work anyways. And Steve will include the new gasket. It will even be the new update metal gasket not the crappy paper ones. So it wont leak again. 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Slybones has made a good suggestion re: the 7th gear mod. However it might be helpful to determine what type oil is leaking. If it's engine oil, it can only come from the bevel gear housing; if it's 90 wt. gear oil, then it is from the pinion seal in the rear drive. Hope this helps. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

It is just the gasket. And just like changing any other gasket, its pretty simple. The fun part is getting to the gasket. 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Its like 1 in a 1000 or something. And its just enough of a project, I would wait and see if you are the lucky one. Mine went at 45K 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

...when I pulled the bags... "...where the rear drive meets the swing arm..." Could it be the 4 bolt joint between the final drive and the swing arm ?

Yes it is that joint. It is the O ring in the final drive that is leaking. I have ordered it and it seems like a fairly simple job. The bike has 50000 kms or 30000 miles.

Glad you found the problem. Mine ('05 with 54 000 km or 33 500 mi.) was leaking when new and repaired on warranty. Still weeping but I didn't bother, it just keeps the driveshaft sliding joint well lubed. When I remove the final drive and the 4 bolt joint is resting on the floor, it makes a puddle on the floor so I've to remember to keep the joint higher than the center of the drive. On the bike, the lower side of the joint gets slightly dirty, but no oil drops are visible. Good luck with your repair. Keep us informed of the result. I think there are 2 O-rings plus 1 oil seal in that location.