• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I Hope it's Not a COG Member

Maybe we can't see his disabled sticker?
People with disabled placards know to park in the spot, not the wheelchair access area. A friend of mine has a disabled placard, and he gets funny looks when he parks his bike in a handicapped spot.

Not cool. I drive a handicap designated van with automated wheelchair ramp all the time. It has the handicap designation on the license plate and a placard to hang from the mirror. We need it for my in-laws who live with us.

I never park in a handicap spot unless I have one of the parents with me, even though I could. Just not right.

Of the things Concours owners have done in public spaces, that's low on the list.
Unless you are the handicapped veteran needing the unloading / loading space and hurt yourself trying to not bump someone's bike because you respect others' property...

Of course I am playing devil's advocate with assumption rider him or herself is not disabled.

We'll never know the rest of the story, so for all reading, I expect nobody here would do this. Also expect of this audience if riding in a group you would coach others to think twice - or better yet move their bike for them, that gets attention quickly and sticks in the mind... Trust me there!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Unless you are the handicapped veteran needing the unloading / loading space and hurt yourself trying to not bump someone's bike because you respect others' property...

Of course I am playing devil's advocate with assumption rider him or herself is not disabled.

We'll never know the rest of the story, so for all reading, I expect nobody here would do this. Also expect of this audience if riding in a group you would coach others to think twice - or better yet move their bike for them, that gets attention quickly and sticks in the mind... Trust me there!

Wayne, Carol & Blue
To me it's disproportionate concern. It's an annoyance if someone needs the spot. They could just call the store and ask for an announcement to move the bike. Me, I'd just park the van over the stripeys on the left to get clearance on the right and call it a day.

On the other hand, there's lots of examples where folks are engaging in risky behavior on public roads including crashing that are given either a pass or encouragement.

If violating a parking statute deserves public shaming, then how to respond about actions that might lead to someone actually ending up in that chair with the special parking pass?

To me it's disproportionate concern. It's an annoyance if someone needs the spot. They could just call the store and ask for an announcement to move the bike. Me, I'd just park the van over the stripeys on the left to get clearance on the right and call it a day.

On the other hand, there's lots of examples where folks are engaging in risky behavior on public roads including crashing that are given either a pass or encouragement.

If violating a parking statute deserves public shaming, then how to respond about actions that might lead to someone actually ending up in that chair with the special parking pass?
Fair view for another thread - if needed.

Wayne

Maybe we can't see his disabled sticker?

Interesting Convo. My hang tag was on the bike taped to the inside of the windshield. Someone stole it. Got another and got the HC plate for the bike which seems to amuse some folks and enrage others (why the hell you riding a motorcycle if you have a disabled plate? Uh because the motorcycle is much easier on my artificial ankle than driving the car with the gas/brake with my right foot) ... because it seems that a disability is supposed to keep you from even attempting riding these days

So when I get to a place like Wally World and all 14 HC spots are taken I have a choice to park in the big striped area by the light pole or go home. If spaces are at a premium it seems logical that even if I see an open space it is more logical to park in the striped area (not the place where this OP dude did) as it would leave that spot for another handicapper in a car who needs all that space.

Question is should a bike with a handicap plate take up a space if there is ample space in the stripes? I can say for sure that handicappers hate bikes "taking up a whole space" while bikers hate a guy who does not use the space and parks on the stripes. I have heard folks bitch both ways.....so I just avoid wally world for one more reason.

w13.jpg

At my Wally Wurld combat parking zone, I park on them stripes between all the poles. Good protection from them folks with coke bottle glasses. Never received any complaints. I have a choice spot that is adjacent to 3 poles in very close proximity. Cars can't get through them.

At my Wally Wurld combat parking zone, I park on them stripes between all the poles. Good protection from them folks with coke bottle glasses. Never received any complaints. I have a choice spot that is adjacent to 3 poles in very close proximity. Cars can't get through them.
Thatā€™s different than blocking the loading / unloading for a handicap parking area.

Wayne

At Wally world, I park in between the front door and the propane gas. At the right time of day it even provides shade. I haven't heard a word from anyone except this girl that was taking a break said she thought about taking it for a ride. šŸ˜‰

Thatā€™s different than blocking the loading / unloading for a handicap parking area.
So true.

On the bigger box stores, I don't use the parking lot. I park between main entrances up against the wall. That way I can't get hit by trailers from contractors who forget how to drive or park. No one walks between the main entrances and nobody bothers to park there either. Sometimes, I park against the far side wall (left or right side of building) to get out of the high winds. A longer walk for sure, but no foot or vehicle traffic.

Some of our local Disabled spots are the worst maintained or located. Pot holes, deep cracks, or other obstacles (like fire hydrants) block access worse than the original post showing the motorcycle.

Yes when I'm in a big busy parking lot I hate parking in a car space between 2 cars/SUVs, I feel I have to park it towards the front of the space so someone in a rush doesn't think it is empty.
I look for striped areas or between the entrance and in the shade in an area of no foot traffic. LEOs don't seem to mind and understand.
BTW, my gf has a handicap plaque for a healing stress fractured knee but if I'm driving I will drop her off in front of store or if there is a parking space two spots down from sparse handicap spots we will park there and let the really needy person take it.
What irks me is when someone parks in the sparse handicap spot and jumps out of the car and darts into the store, must be mentally handicapped I think.

Last edited:
Sometimes folks just don't think. ( about why all the stripes are actually there )

I caught a male COG member doing this. šŸ¤«šŸ¤« šŸ¤«:)

i-8VtDgr9-L.jpg

In his defense, he was preoccupied at the time because he needed to stop and buy
something, but he didn't like making the rest of us wait on him, so he was acting in haste a bit.

Like some others, I try to never park in the actual parking lot spaces and park near the entrance by myself WAY far away from any foot traffic much less car traffic and certainly not anywhere near impeding any sort of foot traffic unlike some morons who ride much bigger bikes seem to do near me.