• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I hoped I would never post here.

djb2014

Training Wheels
After 50 years of riding it finally happened, and to my all time favorite bike.  The plan was to leave at 1AM today for our Saddle Sore 1000.  I backed her out of the garage, mounted, decided to check one more item, remounted and she tipped to the right.  Being top heavy with my luggage and on a slight incline in my drive all I could do was let her go and listen to that sickening crunching sound of all of the tupperware grinding into the concrete.

Damage to the right mirror, right fairing, right footpeg nub broke off, right saddlebag scuffed, slight scuff on the exhaust can.

Insurance has been notified, waiting to hear form adjuster tomorrow.

To those of you that have had similar damage what kind of cost did you incur?

That is a shame. Your driveway had an incline so the left side was up hill? My drop cost 4K to fix. Standing still drop. Left mirror and all the plastic on the left side. Be sure to check out everything. On mine, the mirror bracket that holds the headlight as well, was not broken. But when I tightened a nut to the mirror where I  mounted my Fuzeblock using that stud, the bracket cracked! I guess it did stress just a bit and, being cast aluminum, there is no give.  The insurance claim was already closed. I JB welded it and we will see.....
Good luck.

I got a flat rear tire on the highway, which I ended up busting the bead before I could safely stop.  While waiting for transportation for Connie, and sitting in shade on hill (102 F at the time), wind picked up and slammed her to the ground.  Cost insurance co about 1600 to replace, with me buying parts from Murph's if I could, and myself doing all work, but replacing rear tire which dealer did.  RT mirror, Foot Peg,RT Fairing, Tire replacement, and main fairing.  That was 3 years ago.  Mirror is about 105 Murphs.  Foot peg bracket is about 95 from Murph's, depends on what parts you need.  Fairing from Kawi ran about 400.  Main fairing was 600.  Mirror: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193  Foot Peg: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=184

50 years without a drop?  I've got to say that is mighty impressive!  I manage one about every other year and it's a heartbreaker every time.  I'm lucky in that she generally falls on something soft, so the damage has all been minor, but not only is that fortunate but I'm also lucky to have never yet sustained an injury - as so many have.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 492nd recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0488 C14 Gary Daunton
0489 C10 Tom McKinney
0490 C10 Bob Pappalardo
0491 C14 Tom Tomlinson
0492 C14 Don Bryant

ChipDoc,  the ironic thing about it, two week ago I took the "Bike Safe" course sponsored by the NC Motorcycle Officers.  They asked in class if there was anyone attending who had never dropped their bike, mine was the only hand raised.  I guess I jinked myself.  :mad:

when mine got away from me i hung on screaming & crying like a little girl trying to ease her down and all i got was a few minor scratches.... it felt like a bad dream and in slow motion until i heard the plastic touching and grinding against the pavement. I didnt do anything to repair them.

Actually last summer while at a bike shop some Harley guy came over to look the C14 over while i was gearing up to leave. he pointed out the scratches and I told him..."ya thats from a weekend of knee scraping twisties at Canaan Valley. His eyes got wide and he says "Really!!???"

ha ha ha...I didnt say another word,  i just flipped my visor down and left him standing there.  :))