• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I keep hearing this bike is a pig?

drop_center

^-^

I keep wanting to look into this bike but everytime I do I keep hearing about how heavy it feels. I have a CBR1100XX right now that I love, but want to get something more comfortable and more power below 5K.  I am willing to give up a lot to upgrade to the 14 but I don't want to be overwhelmed by it's size.

One of the issues I hear about is heavy steering. I know it's all relative, but has anyone around here tried dropping the front a few mm's? Or raising the rear?

I also have put about 1000 miles on a ST1300. That was actually a pretty great handling bike.  Can anyone here compare the C14 to the CBR1100XX or ST1300?

I'd suggest you rent one and ride it for a weekend, but if you like the ST1300, I gotta think the C14 will be even better.

OK, the Blackbird is a lot faster, lighter and handles a lot better. Why, because it's more of a sport bike than the C14 is. Yes I have rode both back to back. But the Blackbird is also more cramped in every dimension. Runs a chain. And has less weather protection and comfort. Then you have the Blackbird with out luggage as well.
The truth be told, they're two different animals. The C14 handles just fine (although it is a little top heavy at slow speeds). The C14 is plenty fast (but not all that powerful in the lower RPMs in stock form). It's a fairly dependable bike that can travel, sport and have fun with. But it's not a Blackbird, Busa or ZX14. You need to decide what kind of bike you want first. If you think the C14, FJR or ST is going to be a true comparison to a Blackbird. Your already thinking the wrong way. No disrespect intended. Just trying to make a point. Is a C14 what you want, or do you want a newer Blackbird?  ;)

^^^ "?"
Trollish, really. If you keep wanting to "look into this bike", then by all means do so. A short ride answers a multitude of questions.
Now, I might "hear" a Blackbird will run circles around an 1199 Panigale, but hearing that from "everyone" won't make it so.

FWIW, my dealer rides the ST1300, which he and his wife dearly love. Today, he wishes he had a Connie, which he likes a whole lot better in almost every way insofar as power and handling go.

This bike is no pig. It's hot sizzling bacon!!  :motonoises:

My Connie compared to my Gixxer is a big pig! But compared to a Goldwing she's a butterfly.  :)

It's called sport touring bro...  :72:

The same argument can be made about the Blackbird, or any motorcycle that hopes to accomplish more than one specific task. 

The blackbird is heavy and slow compared to a new liter bike.  Decide how much speed and handling you want and need. Then decide on a comfort level you're willing to have, or give up.  Where these lines cross will give you an idea of what bike you should be riding.

The low speed handling was greatly improved when I junked the stock Bridgestone for Michelin Road Pilots.  It was a major improvement.

tunes said:
The low speed handling was greatly improved when I junked the stock Bridgestone for Michelin Road Pilots.  It was a major improvement.

I'm thinking the same thing. At 2.5K miles the original tires behave like they are shot despite a fair amount of tread remaining. At a faster pace they are fine, but around town they suck.

Opinion of the C-14...big, heavy, roomy, comfortable(once the seat was replaced and handlbars position adjusted), capable, balanced, smooth, a little buzzy, solid, strong power but not thrilling, good looking(except for the bazooka exhaust), odd feeling but strong brakes, carries a passenger very well, machine. It's not a racer nor a luxo-liner. I plan to use mine for 2-up rides and multiday trips. To get my go-fast fix I have a literbike......there is no comparing the two....night and day. And if I want more comfort than this bike offers...I will take the car. 

Watch a skilled rider put the C14 through the MSF 20 ft u-turn box, then ask yourself if "someone says it's a pig"... is it the bike or rider?

I have been fortunate to be able to buy pretty much any bike that I set my sights on. I had a 2006 Busa, a 2006 ZX14, a 2003 Blackbird, and since about a week ago, a 2008 Concours14. I always feel at a loss of words when somebody presents his personal dreams and aspirations to the members of a on line community message board the way you have presented yours. What do you mean by: " I keep wanting to look into this bike but everytime I do I keep hearing about how heavy it feels. I have a CBR1100XX right now that I love, but want to get something more comfortable and more power below 5K.  I am willing to give up a lot to upgrade to the 14 but I don't want to be overwhelmed by it's size."?

You want a Concours 14 version that is lighter and delivers more power below 5k than your Blackbird. I'm afraid the Concours you are looking for has not been produced yet. And when you said that you're willing to give up a lot, what did you refer to exactly? What is that you stand losing?  And what do you expect? Do you truly believe that just by reading someone's take on this bike or that bike or any bike, you are going to draw a realistic conclusion? The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder my friend. We're here on this website because we love our Concours, and for the time being, in spite of a few shortcomings, we believe the Concours14 is the best sport touring bike in the world, period! So, go ride one and decide for yourself. :beerchug:

I don't know who has been saying this bike is a pig, but I wouldn't put much stock into anything they say.  As far as too big and heavy, I kinda find it light and not big at all, almost a bit little for me.

Bottom line don't listen to anyone (unless they're buying the bike for you) and just go ride one, who know you may fall in love.

Gigantor said:
I don't know who has been saying this bike is a pig, but I wouldn't put much stock into anything they say.  As far as too big and heavy, I kinda find it light and not big at all, almost a bit little for me.

Bottom line don't listen to anyone (unless they're buying the bike for you) and just go ride one, who know you may fall in love.

If I remember correctly you're a pretty big guy aren't you Gigantor?
smiley_dunno.gif

I'm 5' 8" and a buck sixty and she is like a clydesdale for me, but I love it, no complaints... but a light Gixxer she is not. She's built for comfy, 2up, and distance IMO.

To the op or troll if you are, figure out what you want, sport, touring, or sport touring...  :104:

Well I'm no troll, that why I'm looking into dropping $15000 on one of these things.  I spend a lot of time on the XX website and since Honda is not making a real replacement for the XX,a lot of members are buying the C14 as an alternative since it seems to be such a stellar bike. However, most are finding it to be a pig in comparison.  They are bias as are you guys here, I just wanted to see how you feel on the other side of things.

And by giving up a lot I mean the handling and acceration of a sport bike for the endlist list awesome of touring featured on the C14. I also put a question mark at the end of my thread title, not a period.

I'v had a Honda, Triumph, 2 BMW Ks, 4 Harleys and 2 C14s. My opinion: this is the ultimate sport touring bike. The technology is amazing. The fit and finish is impressive. It handles great and is fast as hell. So what more could you ask for. Oh yea, linked brakes, traction control, heated grips, electric windshield, shaft drive. This bike has it all. After 26,000 miles I still can't wait to ride it, and do every day. If you really want a sport bike buy one, if you want a touring boat buy one, but if you want a true thoroughbred sport touring bike this is it. I added a Throtlemeister throttle lock today and could not think of another upgrade I would consider. Oh BTW, the PR3s were meant for this bike and it really helps show off the potential for riding in the twisties.

? said:
Well I'm no troll, that why I'm looking into dropping $15000 on one of these things.  I spend a lot of time on the XX website and since Honda is not making a real replacement for the XX,a lot of members are buying the C14 as an alternative since it seems to be such a stellar bike. However, most are finding it to be a pig in comparison.  They are bias as are you guys here, I just wanted to see how you feel on the other side of things.

And by giving up a lot I mean the handling and acceration of a sport bike for the endlist list awesome of touring featured on the C14. I also put a question mark at the end of my thread title, not a period.

That is because contrary to what a lot of folks might feel on here. Compared to an XX, it is kind of a pig. But as someone said, compare the Blackbird to a liter class sport bike, and the XX will feel like a pig. It handles good for what it is meant to be. A 700 lb sport bike that also has to perform touring duties. Somewhat contrary to what Steve said, yes it will handle in the box. But not like a lighter, shorter, sportier bike. The C14 (like all bikes this size) is a bit cumbersome at slow speeds. It's center of gravity and weight is high compared to a liter class bike or in this case as super sport bike like the XX, Busa and ZX14. It's a product of the product itself.
  Your friends are somewhat correct in their comparison. But every sport tour is going to be this way comparing it to an XX. The Blackbird is/was a totally different animal. In my opinion, it is a little bit ignorant for folks to be comparing two totally different style bikes, and then complaining when they are not the same!  It's not far from saying that a GoldWing handles like a pig compared to a ZX10! Well duh! Yes a little more extended. But kind of the same.  ;)

Here's the facts, if you want something more comfortable, that can sport ride decent, tour decent, carry gear decent, be dependable and keep you somewhat out of the weather. Than a sporttour motorcycle like the  C14, ST1300, FJR, or the BMW's would be a great choice. But if all that your interested in is how light it is at slow speed maneuvers, and how fast it is the rest of the time. Then look at a liter class sport bike. But if what you want is another Blackbird. Well since they don't make that anymore. Buy an ZX14 or Hayabusa. You can't have it both ways. No matter what folks want to say.

Gigantor said:
As far as too big and heavy, I kinda find it light and not big at all, almost a bit little for me.

Could that be because your like 6'7" and 400+ lbs Alex?  A GoldWing would feel small to you!  :rotflmao:

He sure does throw it around pretty good.  Don't try to outrun the moto cops!  They just flat-out ride better than you can, or ever will.

cra-z1000 said:
Just posted this elsewhere but seemed appropriate here too . This guy can throw the "pig" around pretty well .

Yes he can. With a lot of experience and training. I bet 99.99 percent of folks who own and/or ride a C14 or any other motorcycle for that matter can't even come close to those abilities. I Bet this officer could do better yet on bike lighter/lower center of gravity bike.  One thing is for sure, right now, I couldn't ride that course, that well on a C14, or any other bike for that matter. ;)

I'd like to see him on a racetrack with a ZX-10.

Anyway, super impressive and everyone's input is well taken.  Riding one is a lot easier said than done, a 15 minute stroll though cage infested waters down town on a someone elses ride or a brand new one without an aftermarket seat isn't going to tell me what I need to know.  That's why I'm here  :)  Just trying to gather the facts, I'm pretty picky about my touring bikes and always customize them for comfort to the max.

Like most have said, everyone has to make their own call.  I had a '97 CBR1100XX when I got my '11 C14, and I loved my Blackbird.  I always thought I'd ride it into the ground.  When the C14 was first released, it really caught my I, but I never saw it as a replacement for the 'Bird.

However, for me, the C14 just does it all.  There's no doubt she's bigger that the XX, but the XX hadn't missed any meals either.  I'm 6' 3", 235#, so I didn't have trouble reaching anything.  The one thing I find interesting is how most guys are trying to get their grips up and/or change the angle.  I kind of miss the more forward posture of the XX, but you can't fault Connie for comfort, once you ditch that medieval torture device Mama Kawi calls a seat.  Corbin fixed that for me.

I reluctantly sold the XX, and I was sure I'd regret that decision for years.  Turns out I've never looked back.  Connie gives me all I need and more.  I expect that after I finish replacing the exhaust and get her reflashed, she'll be everything I could want in a bike.

...but who knows what new bikes they're designing for the future.

Yeah, it's a pig all right, a pig with wings.  :motonoises:
Listen, I had an '03 Honda RC51 that was called a "pig" plenty of times on message boards because it was heavy for a sportbike, and a C14 is easier to flick in turns that my old RC was.

Jim said:
Listen, I had an '03 Honda RC51 that was called a "pig" plenty of times on message boards because it was heavy for a sportbike, and a C14 is easier to flick in turns that my old RC was.

I totally believe that 8)

That guy supposedly won the previous year on a ST1300, and the cones were closer together. From what I hear anyway...

The very mane itself,"sport"-----"tourer",tells all that this bike,as well as all other sport-tourers,is a compromise.I am no wonder boy on a motorcycle but my friends and I aren't passed by too many others on our favorite mountain roads.I currently have a Guzzi Griso which is no pure-bred sport bike,but gets around pretty darn good.I just sold a 900 Ducati Monster and have owned a Duc 900 SS.I have ridden VFRs,Triumph Daytonas,etc.etc. and I don't know that I ride,or have ridden anything much harder,with any more confidence,than I ride my C14.My son has an FJR and it is a great bike (smaller,lighter,etc with very good ammenities).I've spent some time on it and would not trade with him. I think we all here (and I'm really fairly new to this group) can appreciate your stiuation of wanting to gather as much info as possible before making a move,but you really do need to ride one of these "pigs" and I really believe you are going to be pleasantly surprised.If I had to trim down from my stable of bikes right now to one bike,considering that my wife loves to ride and I love to take an occasional long trip,but even at 64 years young this coming friday,still ride a fairly "brisk"pace,I would have to keep the Connie."
'nuff said! Regards,Steve (Fossil)

Cap'n Bob said:
cra-z1000 said:
Just posted this elsewhere but seemed appropriate here too . This guy can throw the "pig" around pretty well .

Yes he can. With a lot of experience and training. I bet 99.99 percent of folks who own and/or ride a C14 or any other motorcycle for that matter can't even come close to those abilities. I Bet this officer could do better yet on bike lighter/lower center of gravity bike.  One thing is for sure, right now, I couldn't ride that course, that well on a C14, or any other bike for that matter. ;)

It is obvious this guy trained with Motorman (Ride Like a Pro, Surviving the Mean Streets) as so many motorcycle cops do.

I think you are spot on, Bob. With a police Electra Glide, this guy would dance through that course even faster, despite the fact the Glide is 400 pounds heavier.

He was using the dip and everything else Motorman teaches, all of which works even better on a low center of gravity bike like a Glide.

Not that I want, as long soul searching has confirmed, an Electra Glide.

If KHI doesn't make improvements to the C14 in 2013, I'm going to find a new, in crate, 2011 somewhere and buy it at a steep discount, probably through the COSTCO program. And be happy as a clam.

By the way, I often bring up my ZX14 when it has relevance (and even when it doesn't) and there is a Japanese cop who runs one through their version of that course, and he flat rules the course.

Me, I'm happy when I can do a feet on pegs U-turn, lol.

? said:
I'd like to see him on a racetrack with a ZX-10.

Anyway, super impressive and everyone's input is well taken.  Riding one is a lot easier said than done, a 15 minute stroll though cage infested waters down town on a someone elses ride or a brand new one without an aftermarket seat isn't going to tell me what I need to know.  That's why I'm here  :)  Just trying to gather the facts, I'm pretty picky about my touring bikes and always customize them for comfort to the max. It sounds to me like you're more interested in stirring up a hornets nest than  looking for facts. If you think this bike is a pig, I suggest you log into the BMW or Harley forums and maybe you'll find something that suits you. Coming to this site and bad mouthing our rides is not a way to endear yourself to our members.I sincerely hope you find a bike that fulfills your obviously high standards. :p

? said:
Jim said:

I totally believe that 8)

That guy supposedly won the previous year on a ST1300, and the cones were closer together. From what I hear anyway...

I believe I read that the cones were widened to accomodate the width of the Connie bags. The ST and BMW bags appear to ride higher and narrower than the Connie.

By any way of measuring it, this guy is an awsome rider.

If this bike is a pig then I don't see how it puts a smile on my face every time I ride my 09.

TimR said:

If this bike is a pig then I don't see how it puts a smile on my face every time I ride my 09.

Big girls love to be loved too...  :)

i thought it was heavy too... then i spent a few hours in a parking lot two or three times a month. now i can do the 18ft u-turns if i try really hard. 20-22 feet are no problem now. after three years and 30 thousand plus miles, the bike feels small.

Jeremy said:
ZG said:
Big girls love to be loved too...  :)

But this "big girl" won't get kicked out before sunrise to do the "walk of shame."

No, but if she is mine, she'll get woken up before sunrise and ridden into the daylight. No use wasting time sleeping when you can be making miles.  :beerchug:

I basically came from the same world you are - a ZX-11 to my C14.  I still have my ZX in the garage.  The ZX-11, the Blackbird, the Busa, are all fairly heavy sport bikes but once under speed, they balance out.  The C14 is very similar when running naked.  Loaded?  We're talking a different class of bike.  Weight ditribution is going to be different and will take a little getting used to.  What you're gaining is a far more comfortable riding position, weather protection, carrying capacity, a huge improvement in seating comfort for your passenger and overall, a much more pleasent long distance riding experience.

Short rides?  I'm on my ZX - single Vance & Hines pipe makes a wonderful growl in the valley.

I have been on my 2009 Concours 14 for a year now... I would not refer to it as a "pig", although, as others, and some pro ride reports have indicated, it is quite heavy
in corners, especially with stock tires.  As others have indicated here, there always seem to be trade-offs.  The new Connie's claim to fame is that it is incredibly SMOOTH!!!...
Now, I also must say, that, even though there is incredible power in store, some 156 hp,  it is not accessible below 5000 RPM stock... so, it is big, and it is very fast, but one must ask ones' self, as I am
, is it worth the trade-offs?  I am questioning this as I speak...I ride daily, including an 8 mile commute, and in the Oregon winter, the beast gets terrible mileage - worse than my car -
- and it burns premium fuel  - these facts make me park it more than other bikes I have had...I am thinking seriously of returning to the DL650 V Strom I had before the Connie - some individual
rider reports are indicating over 70 mpg on the new 2012 VStrom 650 model... again, trade-offs - obviously, not nearly the power or comfort, but actually more fun at legal speeds.. ;)

J_Barnes_OR said:
I have been on my 2009 Concours 14 for a year now... I would not refer to it as a "pig", although, as others, and some pro ride reports have indicated, it is quite heavy
in corners, especially with stock tires.  As others have indicated here, there always seem to be trade-offs.  The new Connie's claim to fame is that it is incredibly SMOOTH!!!...
Now, I also must say, that, even though there is incredible power in store, some 156 hp,  it is not accessible below 5000 RPM stock... so, it is big, and it is very fast, but one must ask ones' self, as I am
, is it worth the trade-offs?  I am questioning this as I speak...I ride daily, including an 8 mile commute, and in the Oregon winter, the beast gets terrible mileage - worse than my car -
- and it burns premium fuel  - these facts make me park it more than other bikes I have had...I am thinking seriously of returning to the DL650 V Strom I had before the Connie - some individual
rider reports are indicating over 70 mpg on the new 2012 VStrom 650 model... again, trade-offs - obviously, not nearly the power or comfort, but actually more fun at legal speeds.. ;)

How would you say the power is below 5000K with the flies removed?  This is my main area of concern, as I'm moving away from a sportbike because I don't want a sportbike powerband.

My last bike was a ZX 12. It took a while to get used to the weight of the C-14. The stock tires are horrible and new skins completely change the way the bike handles. It is still a big bike and does not flick around like a sport bike. I can only comment on the power difference under 5k, because 5000k exceeds any redline I have heard of :). I removed the flies and installed the full area p at the same time, so my experience is with an aftermarket exhaust and flies removed. Big improvement in low end power. Fuel Moto has a graph of a dyno run on their website to give you an idea, but the seat of the pants low end is significantly better, and many have commented on how nice my bike pulls compared to stock. Good luck and I hope you get the correct bike for you.

cablebandit said:
Is this run any faster than the last time it was posted on page 2?

Nope,
  I missed that one.  I thought the other video was the slow ride. 
So sorry...... :rotflmao: