• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I wonder why?

wyland said:
it should be the first thing you do before you leave the dealership.

When I went in to sign the purchase contract, I took two boxes in, front and rear PR3s fresh from RevZilla (super cheap with Zilla Cash). And a set of Genmar 406 2" risers. They agreed to put them on no charge, which is what it took to get me to sign my name.

They asked, "Can we keep the brand new OEM tires?". My answer? "Sure, help yourself (chuckle chuckle chuckle)".

:beerchug:

I have not failed to notice since starting to read this forum that the stock Bridgestone tire (BT021U) is pretty much generally hated.  But I have had the stock tires on my 2010 for what is now a bit over 5000 miles and yes, the rear tire is pretty much done as far as wear. I never noticed any real handling issues and I have dragged the pegs a couple of times at post legal speeds, so I am not sure what inspires such universal hatred of these tires.  Now I am not one to go against the grain so to speak and I will be replacing the tires in a few weeks with Dunlop Roadsmart II tires.  What I am hoping is that once these tires are on, I will say "OH, now I see! And I hope they last longer than 5K miles! 

JD Cunningham said:
I have not failed to notice since starting to read this forum that the stock Bridgestone tire (BT021U) is pretty much generally hated.  But I have had the stock tires on my 2010 for what is now a bit over 5000 miles and yes, the rear tire is pretty much done as far as wear. I never noticed any real handling issues and I have dragged the pegs a couple of times at post legal speeds, so I am not sure what inspires such universal hatred of these tires.  Now I am not one to go against the grain so to speak and I will be replacing the tires in a few weeks with Dunlop Roadsmart II tires.  What I am hoping is that once these tires are on, I will say "OH, now I see! And I hope they last longer than 5K miles!
Don't know about the dunlops but that switch will definitely go click and the light will shine the first corner you drop into. :beerchug:

JR said:
wyland said:
it should be the first thing you do before you leave the dealership.

When I went in to sign the purchase contract, I took two boxes in, front and rear PR3s fresh from RevZilla (super cheap with Zilla Cash). And a set of Genmar 406 2" risers. They agreed to put them on no charge, which is what it took to get me to sign my name.

They asked, "Can we keep the brand new OEM tires?". My answer? "Sure, help yourself (chuckle chuckle chuckle)".
:beerchug:

:rotflmao:

Indeed!  :beerchug:

I got to thinking, it has to be more then the money .Snooping around i looked at Japanese manufactures vs.eveybody else. looks like most Japanese manufactures go with Bridgestone because it's a Japanese company. Da..I guess i answered my one question.

Is the collusion between the Japaneses companies something we should bring to our congress people attention so they can spend more time avoiding the major issues of our society and we might get decent tires on our motorcycles?

BR said:
I got to thinking, it has to be more then the money .Snooping around i looked at Japanese manufactures vs.eveybody else. looks like most Japanese manufactures go with Bridgestone because it's a Japanese company. Da..I guess i answered my one question.

Generally, Japanese motorcycle manufactureres mount rim protectors to keep the rims from getting dinged during shipment.  It is up to new owners to put actual tires on the new bike.

Dan

JD, may I suggest the RP 2's. Outting these tires on made my 14 a new bike from the oem's. My PR 2's have 14 K on them with tread Left. I understand the PR 3's make a change almost as good as going to the 2's from the oem's. I can't wait to try out some 3's.

I did not find a big diff in the 'feel' between the 2's and the 3's. They both handle great. The big thing I found is the front PR3 wears very even with none of the cupping/odd wear of the Road2s...

I had the dealer swap out the tires while they were building the bike. They took the zero mile stockers in trade and charged me $95 to put on a set of PR2's.

JD.....what kind of mileage have you gotten with the Dunlops......I too am planning a tire switchout, in my case, from the stock Bridgestones and was planning on the PR3s until I saw this review......now I am back in planning mode.....thanks.....Chris

JD.....what kind of mileage have you gotten with the Dunlops......I too am planning a tire switchout, in my case, from the stock Bridgestones and was planning on the PR3s until I saw this review......now I am back in planning mode.....thanks.....Chris[/color

Chris:  I have not used the Dunlop Roadsmart II as its a pretty new tire and it will be my first change on the C14.  I used the Dunlop Elite 3 on my 2005 Gold Wing and it was surprisingly good for a touring tire; good grip dry or wet and 12000 miles plus on the rear.  I also used Dunlops on my old 86 C10 (don't remember the model cause that was over 20 years ago)  Check out all the reviews and comments on the Roadsmarts (make sure they are talking about the Roadsmart II and not the old Roadsmart) ; they are all pretty positive and I am betting they are going to be great.  JD]

Ocean said:
JD.....what kind of mileage have you gotten with the Dunlops......I too am planning a tire switchout, in my case, from the stock Bridgestones and was planning on the PR3s until I saw this review......now I am back in planning mode.....thanks.....Chris
You would not be disappointed with the Michelin PR3s, they rock...Just do it, and enjoy the view. Try the 55 rear if you want your bike to come alive..