• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ignition Key/Switch weirdness-Cover reco needed

connieldr

Tricycle
ok, the trickier of the two first;

bike is the barfrocket, 1998, 123k, original keys and ignition. the key rarely leaves the ignition but
i am on the road now and have experienced some weirdness where the key doesn't want to turn
in the ignition slot. diddling with it gets it to and from there all is ok as long as the key isn't removed,
then more fiddling is needed. to me, the key point is all is fine once the key does turn and isn't
removed. I tried the unused original key that is usually stashed on the bike and it's the same with it
too.

i remember hearing replacing an ignition switch (key tumblers) i think is a real pia and i am trying to be
proactive here before it gets worse (assuming it will) and strands me somewhere.

should i address this issue with an auto locksmith and see if he can "freshen up" the tumblers or
whatever and avoid having to put in a new switch? anyone had this happen before? wassa dealie?

next much easier one i think;

my bike stays outside all the time. when not being ridden it's covered with one of those shiny aluminized
on one side poly coated tarps. this usually works great and has for years with a bungie under the rear fender
to the tarp and one through the front wheel to the tarp. one small bungie under the bellypan if a
hurricane is on the way. (seriously)

now, those penny pinching beeyotches at home despot went and changed the tarps to a couple feet
smaller and less eyelets and now it's too damn small where before it was **perfect**.

i was thinking of getting a really good full cover for it. last i knew, dow guardians were the best. are they
still? if not, what is? and what size to completely cover the bike with a givi topbox? who is the official frugal
COGer approved source?

thanks in advance yall.

2ski
Bruce M. Barge, Ocala, FL
'98 Concours "Barfrocket" SECOG N FL AAD
Chatty Moron #1,IBA #4133,COG #5437
My new response to these pablum puking
left wing adult crybaby children is that they
need to be "more tolerant of my insensitivity
and sensitive to my lack of tolerance for
their ridiculous inane utopian beliefs".
-Wayne Wilson-

I use a Nelson-Riggs 1/2 cover.  They come in several sizes.  Mine was sized for a Wing so it is a little big, but fits well over my trunk and to the front fender.  It does not come down to cover the Pipes.  It is waterproof.  New Enough.com, if I remember right.

2ski said:
ok, the trickier of the two first;

bike is the barfrocket, 1998, 123k, original keys and ignition. the key rarely leaves the ignition but
i am on the road now and have experienced some weirdness where the key doesn't want to turn
in the ignition slot. diddling with it gets it to and from there all is ok as long as the key isn't removed,
then more fiddling is needed. to me, the key point is all is fine once the key does turn and isn't
removed. I tried the unused original key that is usually stashed on the bike and it's the same with it
too.

i remember hearing replacing an ignition switch (key tumblers) i think is a real pia and i am trying to be
proactive here before it gets worse (assuming it will) and strands me somewhere.

should i address this issue with an auto locksmith and see if he can "freshen up" the tumblers or
whatever and avoid having to put in a new switch? anyone had this happen before? wassa dealie?

Have you tried lubing the lock with some silicone spray or even some WD40? Sounds like the tumblers are sticky from being depressed by the key all the time, the springs might be weak from age. With 123K it might just be worn out  :-\

My WD40 rant.  Don't use it in your locks.  It will cause them to get sticky in time.  Use a light oil.

Here's my guess as to what has happened.  You mention you leave the key in the ignition all the time.  That will hold the dust door open on the lock and allow water to run down the key into the lock.  Not a good idea.

Lube your lock with a light spray oil and let us know how it works out.

Locksmith,

Any particular spray oil you'd recommend? Is there a reason not to use powered graphite, I thought I'd heard somewhere
to use that in locks.

2ski

Dry powdered graphite is the lubricant of choice when the lock is in a relatively dry environment.  When its potentially wet like a motorcycles typical environment I prefer a light oil.  I use Ronson Multi-lube.  Not because it is better than any other, just because it is easy for me to get.  Triflow is another good one.  I spray my locks once or twice a year and they are trouble free.

Locksmith said:
Dry powdered graphite is the lubricant of choice when the lock is in a relatively dry environment.  When its potentially wet like a motorcycles typical environment I prefer a light oil.  I use Ronson Multi-lube.  Not because it is better than any other, just because it is easy for me to get.  Triflow is another good one.  I spray my locks once or twice a year and they are trouble free.

Thanks for the recommendation, Locksmith!  8)

Locksmith said:

FWIW, I did some sniffing around on-line and the info I found mirrored what Locksmith says here.

I went with my favorite spray lube, Dupont Teflon spray.

Thanks Locksmith.

2ski

Willy,

How long have you been using the cover, is it still waterproof?  Do you have a top box, if so, what kind. What size cover did
you get?

Thanks in advance,

2ski

I got the extra large with a free cable and padlock. I have had it almost as long as the bike, so I'm thinking July or August of 2008.

On the ignition lock- mine has been 'notchy' and annoying since I bought it.  Freaked me out for a while as well, but after a while I just did as Locksmith said, use a little light oil from time to time, and it generally is not too big of a PITA.  Been OK since 2003...  :D

On the cover- I'm on my second Dowco Weatherall Guardian:

http://tinyurl.com/3ybwbr4

Murph used to carry them, but I couldn't find them on his site just now.  My bike has lived outside for seven years, first one of these lasted six of those.  Great quality, good design and fit.  The XL is the right fit.  :)