• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ignition Switch?

Before I go apply for my CDA # on this one, I have a problem with the ignition switch or so I think. Was getting ready to turn around and hit the streets after making a pit stop at home from the commute home from work today and it the starter button and it did nothing and then the clock went to 1pm and I turned the key to off and then back to the on position but NOTHING, no oil light no nuetral light no NOTHING. waited a few minutes cuz this happened to me a few weeks ago and I opened up the seat checked the battery everything was fine, put the seat back and key in and she started right up no problem I thought it was a glitch with the ignition switch and thought the same here again. Currently, still have NOTHING - the clock continuously resets to 1 oclock after changing from OFF to ON, the clock then dies after being in both the ON and Parking light positions.....please help I checked the battery and she has more than full power 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

You likely have a bad connection some place. Start off by checking the battery connections are tight and clean. I have had a similar problem on the CFO's scoot (86) the ignition switch is suspect. You may want to remove the left hand inner fairing and check the main wiring loom plugs. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Most likely a J-box issue, although get someone to do a load test on the battery just in case. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I'd do what Colin said first. Take the connections off your battery first, clean them off with sandpaper and put them back on nice and tight. That will eliminate the simplest thing first. If your clock is re-setting then your loosing all power from the battery, start checking your connections from the battery out. Joe C 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

Thanks everyone - I was a bit panicked yesterday. It was a stupid loose connection from the battery. Glad it happened in the driveway and not on the road. Peace PS - love having the forum with the membership! 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

As Bob P can attest to, these symptoms may be indicative of a loose plate in the battery. In all my years of riding the Concours the only failure mode of a WELL-MAINTAINED battery has been one of the plates coming loose. The scenario is typical: no previous symtoms, and then suddenly, after a road-side pit stop 90 miles from nowhere, turn the key and the lights come on, hit the starter and POP! Everything is dead. In some cases it has been known to "self-recover" by simpley palcing the bike on the center-stand. The errant plate drifts free of the short and there's enough juice to get things going. This is rare but it does happen. So, if these symptoms ever present themselves and the usual cleaning/tightening/checking for fuses diesn;t help, likely it's a bettery.