• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I'll buy a membership one paycheck after I buy a new antler.

cskrat

Big Wheel
'95 C10 "Zoe" - She picked it from a list of names by smoothing out her idle. Should I be troubled that my bike is sentient enough to talk back to me?

I am completely new to motorcycles and bought a C10 Connie as my first bike. 3000 miles and three months later we're getting along great but the first week was rough.

#1 Left turn from a stop. Too much clutch and fell over. The left saddlebag antler broke.
#2 Right turn from a stop. Too little clutch, stalled and fell over. I Eased her down with no damage.
#3 Emergency stop test at the DMV. Inexperience and rapid weight transfer from accelerate to braking in roughly two car lengths. The left foot peg bracket broke. I ordered a replacement from a Harley shop, the only bike shop near my house that doesn't think a Vespa is big, on the way home.
#4 My house has one of those driveways that's just two concrete strips perfectly spaced for car or truck tires and really good at catching the back wheel of a Connie. She went over on the right side; my roommate cushioned her fall and got a leg burn for his trouble.
#5 Oddly placed dirt pile in a parallel parking space. The front brake rotor hit its thick spot and locked on the dirt. The right mirror rattles a little more than it used to.

Side question: are Connie discs able to be resurfaced on a brake lathe or do you just replace them when they warp?

To make amends I've replaced all her fluids, removed the radiator thermostat mod that was making her blow fuses and overheat, replaced her spark plugs, corrected the polarity on her coils, secured her coils to the frame using nuts from the "spare parts" baggie that came with her, adjusted her valves to spec, replaced the oil again due to a sudden rainstorm while adjusting her valves, rebuilt her petcock and given her nothing but non-ethanol fuel. I think she forgives me but she does have a nasty Sea-Foam addiction that worries me.

Sounds like you had an exciting introduction to one another - but at least that SeaFoam addiction isn't as bad as it might be.  Yep, we'll still be here after you join - and we don't make you drop her again just to get the Award.  Welcome to the club!  :beerchug:

After buying the new antler, joining COG, and being ushered into CDA (I'll assume that's a given, right, Doc?), you might want to invest in some tipover bars (AKA engine guards/saddlebag protectors) before you do any (more) serious damage. Welcome to the Forum and the two-wheeled life!

Incidentally, I had a great-aunt named Zoe. She made it to 102, I believe. I don't know what that is in Connie-years, but I hope your Zoe is equally long-lived! :beerchug:

Welcome Chris!!  That's a heckuva 1st post.  The more ya ride her, the more addicted and confident you'll become.  After you get some tip-over protection,  do lots of low speed practice in an empty parking lot.  Stopping and starting,  sharp turns with feet on pegs while keeping the clutch in the friction zone, and sharp turns from a dead stop. Of course there's a lot more to learn, but those exercises will build your confidence quickly. 
If your rotors really are warped they will probably need replaced.  Sometimes pad deposits will cause pulsing and feel like warp.  If that's the case, clean (scuff) the rotors with some fine abrasive.

Now load her up and come on out and join us!  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

I am sick! Picked her up new day before yesterday. Not a good chance to ride yet. Less than 50 miles on her. Dropped her today backing into garage.  Ouch.