• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Info for anyone riding to Canyonville, OR through Northern California

jcaputo58941

Dad3Sons
I'm really new to the group but have some input that might be valuable for anyone riding to Canyonville through Northern California.

1. Any of the numbered state routes will be good routes as far as pavement condition, maintenance level and ride-ability. Riders can hit the “dot.ca.gov” website to get updated info on possible delays due to construction projects or maintenance activities by the state route number.

2. Interstate Freeways are the best way to make time, but frankly, I-5 south of Redding, CA is boring. There will be a high percentage of semi-truck traffic on it as well. I-5 from Redding north is scenic and pretty, running along Lake Shasta, past Mount Shasta and into the high volcanic country of NorCal. Very Pretty.

3. US101 from San Francisco can also be arduous (traffic) in SF north to about Santa Rosa. North of there it gets better. It is very scenic north of Ukiah, CA, and will take you through the giant Redwood country (Richarsdon Grove near Garberville and Humboldt Redwoods State Park) south of Eureka, and along the coast between Eureka and Crescent City. Then follow the route into Oregon to Grants Pass. Lots to see along here! It can get pretty cold and foggy along the coast in June, so bring layers of clothing!

4. Riders coming from the East on I-80 through Reno, NV, can cut up from there on US395 toward Susanville, CA and have several options to get over to I-5 at Red Bluff, CA or Redding, CA. Lassen Volcanic National Park is a hidden jewel and worth diverting to see for half a day or all day. It will cost to ride through the park - $25 for a 7 day pass, unless you already have your senior lifetime pass! We are getting very heavy snowfall in the high mountains this year. The highway through LVNP may not be plowed open this year in June, as it's maintained by the National Park Service. Just stay on the other numbered state routes to traverse this mountainous region. The Lake Almanor area is also very pretty.

5. Riders from the CA Central Valley or SoCal can divert from I-5 at Sacramento a little east and take Route 70 through Marysville, Oroville and to Route 99 in Chico, CA. A lot of agricultural scenery. The Sierra Nevada Brewery “mothership” is in Chico, CA and has a great tap room and restaurant I recommend. Tours of the brewery are available as is a gift shop. Then from Chico on to Red Bluff on Route 99 and catch I-5 North in Red Bluff.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know!

Last edited:
I'm really new to the group but have some input that might be valuable for anyone riding to Canyonville through Northern California.

1. Any of the numbered state routes will be good routes as far as pavement condition, maintenance level and ride-ability. Riders can hit the “dot.ca.gov” website to get updated info on possible delays due to construction projects or maintenance activities by the state route number.

2. Interstate Freeways are the best way to make time, but frankly, I-5 south of Redding, CA is boring. There will be a high percentage of semi-truck traffic on it as well. I-5 from Redding north is scenic and pretty, running along Lake Shasta, past Mount Shasta and into the high volcanic country of NorCal. Very Pretty.

3. US101 from San Francisco can also be arduous (traffic) in SF north to about Santa Rosa. North of there it gets better. It is very scenic north of Ukiah, CA, and will take you through the giant Redwood country south of Eureka, and along the coast between Eureka and Crescent City. Then follow the route into Oregon to Grants Pass. Lots to see along here! It can get pretty cold and foggy along the coast in June, so bring layers of clothing!

4. Riders coming from the East on I-80 through Reno, NV, can cut up from there on US395 toward Susanville, CA and have several options to get over to I-5 at Red Bluff, CA or Redding, CA. Lassen Volcanic National Park is a hidden jewel and worth diverting to see for half a day or all day. It will cost to ride through the park - $25 for a 7 day pass, unless you already have your senior lifetime pass! We are getting very heavy snowfall in the high mountains this year. The highway through LVNP may not be plowed open this year in June, as it's maintained by the National Park Service. Just stay on the other numbered state routes to traverse this mountainous region. The Lake Almanor area is also very pretty.

5. Riders from the CA Central Valley or SoCal can divert from I-5 at Sacramento a little east and take Route 70 through Marysville, Oroville and to Route 99 in Chico, CA. A lot of agricultural scenery. The Sierra Nevada Brewery “mothership” is in Chico, CA and has a great tap room and restaurant I recommend. Tours of the brewery are available as is a gift shop. Then from Chico on to Red Bluff on Route 99 and catch I-5 North in Red Bluff.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know!

Great information Joe! I think you need to correct the Giant Redwood country to north not south between Eureka and Crescent City. That is very pretty country! Thank you very much for sharing this!

Are you coming to the National Joe? I see you are a golfer...you need to check out Bandon along the coast if you have never been there. Great Golf resort! Promise you a good time if you can make it! :) (y)