• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Information on the 2008 Recall

ksuwcat

Big Wheel
This is killing me.  I bought the Concours about 6 months ago and love it.  Took it into Kawasaki to get some new rubber on it and I get a call 20 minutes later.  They say don't bother to come and pick it up for a while, it has a safety recall.  They won't release the bike until some brake pedal cover is installed, they say probably a couple weeks.  It is hot, but not too hot to lose my desire to ride.... Anybody else have an experience with this?

Yes, there was a recall about 2 years or so ago to install a "rock guard" over the linkage on the brake pedal to try to prevent rocks from getting in the mechanism and not allowing the pedal to fully return, which in turn would result in a burned up rear brake, and possible wheel lockup.

Unfortunately this recall could possibly hold the rocks in that it is meant to keep out. So it is a questionable fix?  >:D

I have a picture of my guard, but cannot make it small enough to fit here. If anyone wants to see it, e mail me at jamesc 4085 @gmail.com.  (remove spaces) My name is Roland and I'll be glad to forward it on.  As Bob said, the guard will probably do more harm than good.....just like jenny McCarthy.

Installation was not quite 5 minutes and the dealer never even rolled the bike inside to do the installation.  I have not yet removed it, but probably will.  It looks as if small stones that would otherwise fall out can now be trapped. 

This thing about holding the bike for two weeks--there is no rule, that's a local policy so they don't get stuck with the warranty parts that lay around forever while flaky folks never come back. If your dealer knows and likes you, they will let you ride the bike up there when the part arrives. Or in some cases, they will just hand you the part--my dealer handed me the instrument cover that was melted by the windshield. I would offer to put a deposit on the part and keep the bike--you might find it stays up there half the summer, like mine did last year!

I could understand a two week hold for a major safety issue, or high part cost, but this guard could not amount to much either way.  The dealer probably cannot make the call, but if you left a SuperBig Gulp as collateral, you would be getting the short end of the stick.

im pretty sure i would ride down there and pick up MY bike.  unless its different where you live, i doubt they can legally withhold your property for something minor like that.  and yes, the rock guard now holds in rocks, as mine has done on a couple of occasions since the install.  no issues however.

Thanks for the advice and humor.  I will be making a trip in tomorrow AM.  I personally have never heard of holding a vehicle till the part comes in.  Wonder what they would have done had my son not drove in with me?  Thanks again.

Yes, I'm afraid I would grab my crotch and say "hold this"  Actually, my dealer rocks. Try south valley yamaha in sandy utah.

OR....I'll borrow you my protective guard, take my life in my own hands, and you can return it once the dealer lets it go.

BUT, I did see a .50008478" sized rock on the road today. Having that guard gave me piece of mind.

Tell them you will be in to get your loaner C14 or rental car, I bet you leave with your bike then. 

Not sure what the details of your purchase are but i bought my 09 last summer and then about 2 weeks after registering the bike got the notice.  Wouldn't you think if a dealer had one sitting in the showroom that required a recall to be performed they would have to do if before it was sold?  If not than i cannot see why your dealer would need to keep yours.   

I had my dealer try to do this to me when I brought the Bike in for it's first service, I was already on their loaner when I came to pick up the Bike and was told you can't have it back until the recall is done. I left with the Bike after reminding them who paid for it but I did sign a waiver.