• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Injuries

Brett0769

Street Cruiser
I posted about this already in Say Anything so I won't detail it but I hurt the big toe on my shifting foot this weekend at my SO's house. I had to ride home able to downshift normally but upshift only very painfully. In response, some other pretty serious injury experiences were mentioned along with 'what if's. So, here's the question: I've seen many discussions on these forums about what tools and supplies you should have on a long trip to get Connie back on her wheels in the event of mechanical failure, but what about us? What should we carry on these trips to get ourselves back in the saddle if we get hurt. Anybody have a first aid kit? Put one together from stuff around the house? What kinds of injuries make you unsafe to ride and should prompt you to call a tow truck and a friend? P.S. I felt safe with my sore big toe since my only handicap was being a little slow to accelerate. Also, I'll start the list with spare contacts/glasses for those of us visually challenged.

I have purchased several trauma kits over the years. The most comprehensive kit is the one I got when I took a rescue [scuba] diver course. I carry a VERY basic kit on the bike, stowed in a thin waterproof pouch. Over the winter I had an opportunity to attend the Accident Scene Management, INC (ASMI) "Crash Course for the Motorcyclist." It provided the basics of of managing an accident scene, and also touched on some rudimentary first aid. The "Crash Course" in combination with a Red Cross or American Heart First Aid & CPR course will prepare motorcyclist to deal with most emergent care situations. ASMI also sell trauma packs for motorcyclists. Check out the link below... the contents of each kit is listed. This could save the trouble of putting your own together. http://www.accidentscene.net/sos/packs.htm -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Band-Aids* A Swiss Army Knife* Zip ties* Duct tape* A high limit credit card**... ...and you're good to go. * Optional ** Mandatory Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 Editor, The Concourier E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

I carry a nice, compact little kit (6"x3"x4" soft pouch) that goes on the bike easily. It has the normal Band-Aid and antiseptic wipe sort of stuff, but also has larger bandages & wraps, a chemical-activated cold pak, and a variety of sealed ointment & applicator paks with stuff for burns, stings, etc. In fact, this thread reminds me that my kit is about 5 yrs old, may be time to replace it. If I find a link to a good one, I'll post it up. Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

My riding boots have steel toes so I should be somewhat protected from toe injury. And if my toes are injured off the bike, maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to upshift without too much grimacing....