• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installing a Grip Heater Kit

TNJED

Training Wheels
I just received Grip Heater Kit for my 05 Connie. Its one of those heater element sort that is placed under the rubber grips. I really hadn't give the mechanics of installing the kits much thought. Is there any trick to it? I haven't started the tear down yet. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I would be very grateful for the help. Thanks in advance.

Give the left (clutch side) bar a good coating of electrical tape to help insulate the grip heater from the metal bar.

The bar end weights are held on by a hex screw that is hidden by a plug in the end.  Hard to get that plug out but it does come out.  Does it come with instructions on getting the grips off and on?  I have ideas but not much exp. with that part.

Removing the grips is pretty easy if you have the use of an air compressor. You slide the air nozzle tip under the end of the grip and give it a blast. The air expands the grip and they slide right off.
It's also a good time to replace the grips should you so desire. Lots of us use the Murph's great grips on the bike.

I had completely forgotten about the air compressor trick! You just saved me a TON of time. Very cool.

You should also consider adding an electrical relay to prevent draining the battery should you accidentally leave them on.

Murph's fuse block is a good thing to add when you do the heated grips. It's switches on and off with the key so no worries about running your battery dead. Good luck.

BEFORE you install the heater grip on the throttle side make sure you have enough play in the wire so that when you pin the throttle the heater grip still has a little play in the wire.  I would hate to see you snap the heater grip wire the 1st time you decide to wring out ye old ZG1000. :eek:

Mission accomplished. Thanks for all the input. The air compressor tip with the hand grips was the key. 30 minutes start to finish. I am going to have to order Murph's relay -- or carry jumper cables. Tomorrow is a 35 degree morning here in Middle Tennessess. With the Tourmaster electric vest and the heated grips I should be good to go. Thanks again!

TNJED said:
Mission accomplished. Thanks for all the input. The air compressor tip with the hand grips was the key. 30 minutes start to finish. I am going to have to order Murph's relay -- or carry jumper cables. Tomorrow is a 35 degree morning here in Middle Tennessess. With the Tourmaster electric vest and the heated grips I should be good to go. Thanks again!

I agree and second the Murphs fuse block for the C10. It makes it pretty quick and easy!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=144

TNJED said:
TnJed
Did you put epoxy over the heaters before you put the grips on?

GSGSXJay said:
TNJED said:
Mission accomplished. Thanks for all the input. The air compressor tip with the hand grips was the key. 30 minutes start to finish. I am going to have to order Murph's relay -- or carry jumper cables. Tomorrow is a 35 degree morning here in Middle Tennessee. With the Tourmaster electric vest and the heated grips I should be good to go. Thanks again!
TnJed

Nope. Are you messin with me? That would have a bit too permanent for my taste.

TNJED said:
GSGSXJay said:
TNJED said:
Mission accomplished. Thanks for all the input. The air compressor tip with the hand grips was the key. 30 minutes start to finish. I am going to have to order Murph's relay -- or carry jumper cables. Tomorrow is a 35 degree morning here in Middle Tennessee. With the Tourmaster electric vest and the heated grips I should be good to go. Thanks again!
TnJed
Nope. Are you messin with me? That would have a bit too permanent for my taste.
Nope.  No messin here.  Depending on the type of grips you have (soft, medium, hard compound) and how much you turn up the grip heaters the grips can move and twist a little bi on the handlebar.  Seriously.