• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Insurance quote

wlselph

Bicycle
Well, I finally did it and bought a 2011 silver model. I'll pick it up in a day or two. Progressive is quoting me a pretty high rate. $900.00. I only paid $400.00 for my Suzuki DL1000. I'm 48 with a very clean driving record. Any thoughts?

Although it does seem high to me. You have to factor in what the insurance companies are using for their criteria. Where you live, and your experience/driving record play a big part. Prices are different for everyone. I would shop around for sure.
Dairyland cycle insurance, will donate $10 to COG for just getting a quote. I found their insurance quote to be pretty close to what I am paying now. But their coverages were different to allow an exact comparison. So I stayed with Progressive for this year. I called and talked to a person instead of waiting for and doing the on-line route. But I had to mention the $10 to COG. But I figured why not get the club some working capital while getting my quote!

https://www.dairylandcycle.com/motorcycle-insurance/

I tend to shop around every year or two just to check. Some prices are outrageous IMO, and others good. So for your particular area and situation, one company may be way too much. While another may seem right or down right cheap. I would shop around with a bunch of insurance companies before committing.
For what it's worth. I was paying around $400 for full coverage with much higher limits, medical extras, under/uninsured coverage, etc. for my C14 and Mean Streak together. It did go up just a little when I got the 2010 FJR and the Mean Streak. And that's for two bikes, not just one!  And I'm with Progressive.

Thanks much. I'll shop around a little on Tuesday. I'm sure I can do better. My agent seemed quite surprised as well.

On the fun side, I can't wait to have the bike. I live in Nashville so I have some day trips in mind for Northern Georgia and East Tennessee.

You didn't mention if that quote was for a year, 6 months, or something else.  If it's for a year, then it's not as horrible as I first thought, as I was thinking in terms of 6 months.

Seems insurance rates around me have increased about 15%, probably due to all the natural disasters in the past two years or so.  Even with that I pay 350 a year for the c14

I had Progressive insurance for 6 years and was forced to change to GEICO last year. Progressive wanted $750 per year on the Concours alone. I also have a 04 Goldwing and the total for both bikes is $725.00 per year . I live in the Atlanta area so every region has it's pricing. The only thing to do is shop around and I am starting to do that about every two years or when ever I see more that a 10% increase in my policy.

Rash

That is way to high, I'm 41 and the bike is registered in Bronx, NY and I only pay $340 for full coverage with Geico.  Progressive was a little higher.  Give Geico a call they're probably cheaper.

I DOES seem to be different for each person.  I have had Progressive for MANY years and had just renewed my coverage for my C10(no collision), CBR1000F(no collision), and Triumph Adventurer weeks before getting the C14.

Upping the collision ded. on the C14 to $1000 still was an additional $367 for the year?  When I inquired how it was broken down, they said it was not as simple as adding what I had paid on the C10, to the additional $367 to arrive at the total, for the C14?

I gave State Farm a call, and their price was $1800 for the same coverage on the (3) bikes which was about double Progressive's rates.  I live in rural CT and I am 57.

Peter

Also had them quote Home insurance and that was quite a bit higher than my current policy with Travelers. 

I'm in Austin, TX and with USAA Progressive.  I pay $816 per year, twice the cost of my '06 Feej.  I'm 42, clean driving record, MSF course within the year, and $500 deductibles.  GEICO was higher and who I had with the Feej.  I chalked it up to having a new bike, but guess I need to shop around a little more.

I've flip flopped every couple years from Progressive to Geico and back... I've been with Progressive for 2 years and I just quoted Geico...and I think I'm going to cancel my Progressive and flip back to Geico now.  You'd THINK they'd compare rates and figure out how to keep someone.  But even with a "Your Rate is LOWERED!" from Progressive this year, it seems that they're higher than Geico.  I just don't know. 

If you happen to live in PA, NJ, MD, or W Va..... (where they are licensed)
Google ( RIDERS Insurance Co.)  I did some research, and they are very highly rated.
Their quote was about 1/2 that of Allstate for the same coverage (which I had for several years).
Of course, they gave me discounts for "new policy", and "senior citizen" (or something like that).
Sport bike riders need not apply as they don't insure "crotch rockets", the web site lists the exclusions.
So, anyway, I'm saving about $300. per year.  I hope you have the same success.