• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Insurance

Redbarron

Street Cruiser
Hello Everyone:

I am not sure were to post this but, what Insurance company would you guys recommend for a daily rider high mileage 2000 zg1000?

I refuse to do business with Geico or Progressive.

Thank You

Other then required liability I am not sure I would insure a C10 with anything else.  I have been with Progressive over 10 years but never had to find out how bad they would be if I needed them.  Still rates change based on your location and other factors so my price would not be same.  You have to get quotes.  That always helps fill your inbox.  Bunch of leaches.

I've shopped extensively, and can't do better than my multi-vehicle discount policy with State Farm.

And they have been quite good at paying claims. I had HD rain and heat gear, plus a HD trike half-cover, stolen just as I entered California going west last year.

Within two weeks, I had full retail price (to replace) in my bank account.

I had Geico, then switched to State Farm and cost dropped by nearly half (with multi-vehicle policy).

Generally happy with State Farm and over the years they have paid on home and boat claims. MC was insured for liability/basic only.

For what it's worth:

My cars etc., are with USAA, and they contract somehow with Progressive for motorcycles.  So I've got Progressive.

I told a Progressive person on the phone (I think they were doing a survey;  can't remember the circumstances, that I didn't like being insured by Progressive because of their founder's far-left, anti-American political opinions and actions.  And I was disappointed in USAA for hooking up with them  She said that guy, the founder, hadn't been with the company for many years (20 or so? can't remember).

Last year, somebody pushed by 2009 Concours 1400 over in a parking lot.  Lots of damage.  Progressive was prompt, generous with a settlement, and I could not have asked for better service.

Also, the suggestions to get quotes is good.  My insurance is $547 a year, for $500 deductible Collision and Comprehensive, and Liability to others B.I. and Prop. Dmg. 250k/person/$500k each accident, Uninsured motorist same, Underinsured motors same, and $10k medical.  Also $3000 accessory coverage.  And roadside assistance, which I've called to check them out, and they seemed to be very good.

I think I'm paying too much  (I AM paying for all those INCESSENT commercials, after all.)  But I like USAA.

Get some quotes.

Hey Redbarron,

What have you found out?

I'm considering something I thought I'd never do:  Quitting USAA, (and thus Progressive for the bike).  Based on USAA's recent decision.

And thanks to you other guys too.  I'll be checking out State Farm, for sure.

I have to say I switched to GEICO from State Farm. And I really did save money! We'd been with State Farm since my wife and I got married over 30 years ago. Found out that for the final year we were with them, that I had no UM/UIM coverage on the bike! In FL, those are a must since the state requires a bare minimum of insurance. If I had gotten hit, I would have been in a world of doo-doo. Needless to say I was extremely miffed at SF! Just my $0.02...

Eddie-FL said:
I have to say I switched to GEICO from State Farm. And I really did save money! We'd been with State Farm since my wife and I got married over 30 years ago. Found out that for the final year we were with them, that I had no UM/UIM coverage on the bike! In FL, those are a must since the state requires a bare minimum of insurance. If I had gotten hit, I would have been in a world of doo-doo. Needless to say I was extremely miffed at SF! Just my $0.02...

If you don't request Uninsured/underinsured most companies don't just add it to the policy, I had to request it fro. progressive after I got my policy in the mail and it was not on the policy, lucky for me it paid off.

FTB530 said:
Eddie-FL said:

If you don't request Uninsured/underinsured most companies don't just add it to the policy, I had to request it fro. progressive after I got my policy in the mail and it was not on the policy, lucky for me it paid off.

Yeah, but I had it until that year! And in FL you are supposed to sign a paper acknowledging that you decline UM/UIM. And I didn't ...

I do have Progresive on all vehicles since Cotton States pulled out of Flowriduh.

A sometimes unknown factoid for Progressive, at least in Flowriduh, is that if you stack uninsured on a car, all bikes you own are covered for uninsured under the car's policy without having to have that option on the bikes. This saves several hundreds of $ yearly on my Versys and KLR.

Insurance for the '98 KLR is $39 /year with 250k/500k limits and includes $10 for roadside coverage and no comp/collision.

The '15 Versys with same limits and 100 deduct comp and 500 collision is $216/year.

Driving record has one award from the illustrious Commonwealth of Virginia for failure to obey a painted highway sign in September of '15.

Thanks for posting that Steve, I'm with 21st century and although I have no claims I was the recipient of a big increase about a year ago. I'm paying at least 2x as much as you on the V. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Thanks for posting that Steve, I'm with 21st century and although I have no claims I was the recipient of a big increase about a year ago. I'm paying at least 2x as much as you on the V. Steve
The Versys has a pretty rough claim history, rookies? It was gonna go up about $2-300 from the Connie,