• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Interest in touring Gettysburg during the 2019 COG National?

gsjay

Do you have a Civil War Buff among us?????

Looking for someone to organize group trip to Gettysburg during next years National in Williamsport Pa.

Day ride? Bus Ride?

Anyone interested yell out.
tks,
Jason
cog 32

Jason, I'll definitely be going Gettysburg while I'm at the National.
Not sure if it will be before/during/after as I have no idea how far it is from Rally Central?

As I'm from TeXaS, I think it would be best for someone that is more local than I, do the arranging.
  {ie; They can contact the Museum easier, know the roads, and speak Yankee...}  :rotflmao:
  That sed; I am interested in helping out and offering what them what I learned this year.

NOTE: I arranged the Nimitz Museum Ride at this years National.
        Was able to get group rates, parking, and a host/guide.
          I think it was enjoyed by all and know the same would be true at Gettysburg.

Ride safe, Ted

Let me ponder it a bit, we have a little time, :rotflmao:
I have to make sure I'm in for the rally, but having messed around before during the General's Ride to create a dozen or so, and also routing a lot of Civil War rich routes in Va, I should be able to cook up something for ya... seems like whenever I ended up Riding to and around from Russel's house, I ended up in G'burg, because it's such a cool place..

EPRAJ3O.jpg

Not really a 'buff', but back in 2008 I rented a GL1800 and my wife tagged along on a business trip to Nashville. We took 3 extra days to ride around the south's back roads. In Corinth Miss., where the band Saving Able is from who I interviewed a few years later ironically, we saw signs for the then new Civil War Interpretive center. It was impressive. Chilling and poignant, we spent hours and could have spent more. This is a part of the American past I think we do well to learn about, may not be the last one I fear.

Ok, I'm in, {if ok with Jason?}
MOB reminded me of the "Local" I need to handle "face to face contact" with the museum.
I sent Jason a note and will try to contact my "Local" to twist his arm.  >:D

The rest of you can help by telling us about past visits, and suggesting things to see at the Museum.

We're a long ways from the National so no rush on anything.
Just discussion for now...

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I may be asking for some help with the "arm twisting"...  >:D

connie_rider said:
Ok, I'm in, {if ok with Jason?}
MOB reminded me of the "Local" I need to handle "face to face contact" with the museum.
I sent Jason a note and will try to contact my "Local" to twist his arm.  >:D

The rest of you can help by telling us about past visits, and suggesting things to see at the Museum.

We're a long ways from the National so no rush on anything.
Just discussion for now...

Ride safe, Ted

Approved.
Jason

PS: I may be asking for some help with the "arm twisting"...  >:D

Finally made my way there a couple of years back.  The museum is excellent but to actually take in the battlefield itself it's a LOONG day due to the physical size of it.  Did the whole circuit in the cage with my wife.  She enjoyed listening to the tour CD which made it more easily understood for the less historically inclined.  I was blown away just walking the sites and tying my knowledge to the actual geography.  So much valor spent in a battle of brother against brother.  To see the expanse that had to be crossed by Pickett's Charge knowing that the weapons of the day were accurate out to hundreds of yards yet they still breached the Union lines at the high water mark before being pushed back.  I found it humbling to be there.

My 6th grade daughter just finished studying Gettysburg in school and did a 2-day field trip to the battlefield.  She named one of our goat kids born this spring Gouverneur Warren.  Not sure if that qualifies as an expert though.  ;D

Quick update on a possible Gettysburg Tour.

After talking with others, I'm thinking I want to do a "Historical/sightseeing Tour.
      ie; a chance to see/experience Gettysburg.

"NOTHING" is being arranged at this time.
    I'm just thinking out loud and want your thoughts for now..

Read on:

We've learned that due to distance/traffic/signal lights,, the direct ride to the Museum may be about 2 1/2 - 3 hours...
Seeing the Museum, and doing a tour Bus ride around the site will take another 4 hours.
Add another hour for a meal somewhere...
Bottom line: I think we're looking at about 11-12 hours to go to Gettysburg, tour it, and return...

Because of that, I'm considering the idea of arranging a Motorcoach for this tour.
  Costs appear to be; $15 for Museum / $30 for Tour Bus at Gettysburg / XX ? Motorhome costs / XX ? Food/trinkets..
      I'm guessing costs per person may be $75- $100.
    {NOTE: I'll try to get group rates so that could be a bit less}....

So, what do you think?
Do you want me to pursue a Gettysburg Sightseeing Tour "with Motorcoach"?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: This "Tour" is intended more as a way to see/experience Gettysburg, than a day of riding..
          I'm certain someone will layout a route to/from Gettysburg.
          So anyone that wants to do their own ride to Gettysburg, can do so.

Another PS: I'm leaving tomorrow and will be back in 3 weeks. {Gonna ride the Alp's}  :motonoises::great:
                  Post your thoughts while I'm away..

Been down there many times never just as a tourist,, Jens Parents own the KOA campground.
It wound be nice to just visit

Ted has been out of the country so there this topic hasn't seen any new updates...……….

Well, guess what I have an update.

I meet a gentleman yesterday that is a certified Gettysburg Battlefield Guide!
If we get a group together for this he can come onto our bus and lead the tour of the battlefield.

So if you have interest in this activity please shout out!
tks,
jason

I'm baaaack!!

Having a guide would be great.
Jason; How many would we needed to make the coach/guide possible?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I'm baaaack!!

Having a guide would be great.
Jason; How many would we needed to make the coach/guide possible?

Ride safe, Ted

I don't know. His name is Richard Schroeder. rdslbg166@gmail.com

Reach out to him.

jason

Jorge and I have been to Gettysburg twice when our sons were younger.  We loved it!  I'm in.

Irene

I'm set up to discuss plans next week with Richard. (Gettysburg Guide)

NOTE: We're looking into arranging a Motorcoach Tour because we think the ride/tour/museum/meal/ride would be a long day on a bike.

We need to know if there would be enough interest to arrange; a Bus tour from the Hotel to Gettysburg and back?
          {with time allowed for the Museum, a meal, and a guide with us as we cruise the park}?

I'll say this up front, there would be a charge for the bus/guide/museum. {amount unknown at this time}

With all that known, what are your thoughts? Arrange the tour or not??

Ride safe, Ted

I've done more research and NEED your thoughts.
Because of the distance/time we've been looking into arranging a Group Tour from the Motel to see Gettysburg.
Costs are more than I hoped, but may be possible if we have enough interest. {??}

NOTE: We've had 2 locals make the trip and their saying round trip ride time is 6-8 hours.
          To actually see Gettysburg I feel you need a minimum of 3-4 hours.
            So the total day (and actually experience Gettysburg} would be 10-12 hours.

For that reason, I've been trying to arrange a Tour in a Bus or Van.
But, I can't do any arranging on that idea until I have some idea if it would be used.
Did I mention that I need your thoughts on this???? hint/hint

NOTE: I'm leaning towards the 12 passenger van as the best option if we do this as a group.

Here are the approx. costs.

{31 pass Motorcoach / Guide / Museum etc / food}    about $110 per person    Based on 20 people
                    {12 pass Van / guide / Museum etc / food}                about $75 per person      Based on 10 people
  (bikes/personal vehicles / Museum etc / bus tour / food}              about $70 per person    {try to do tour together}
(bikes/personal vehicles /museum only / ride the park / food}        about $45 per person      (ie; on your own}

Please let me know your thoughts!!

Ride safe, Ted       

Ok so we're not seeing any discussion about this proposed trip to Gettysburg...……………

Is that because there is no interest, or is just too early in the planning process for most folks to think about?

Jason

I'm pinging this to try again to get feedback.
I'm willing to help set this up, but we can't put $$ towards arrangements if there is no interest?

NOTE: I'm not a Facebook guy. Can someone please post this request for feedback on Facebook?

Ride safe, Ted

gsjay said:
Ok so we're not seeing any discussion about this proposed trip to Gettysburg...……………

Is that because there is no interest, or is just too early in the planning process for most folks to think about?

Jason

I'm sure there will be a lot of folks that are interested in doing it, but really it is a bit early to make plans with thier staff, and start thinking about costing it all out.. a gentle steady path would be to remind folks, but not set money out yet.... things change, and I'm sure during the "winter months" a lot of progress could be accomplished, easier, and more timely as it's the 'slow period' for everyone, so people can concentrate easier on firming things up... Having ridden thru there many times, alone, and with Joe C., and also the route around Sharpsburg, and Harpers Ferry, and associated battlefields, Getty'sburg alone is a huge day.... I personally think to really see it well, it takes almost 2 days.

I'll be glad to help toss a ride and route together, but I don't think I would be (my personal opinion) doing the tour bus route myself, as the freedom to bug out, and really hit the spots you want to see, eat when and what you want to eat,(target rich environment for food...) with the options of moving at whatever pace you find comfy with, doesn't really allow for those options.
I would ride my bike tho, and then spend my $$ on this in lieu of a bus ride:

http://www.segtours.com/

Anyway, I think it's a cool thing, and thru this winter I'll compile a 'packet' for perusal.

You guys have my email, we can discuss if you want anytime, so I'll leave it open for now.

No matter what tho, I'm sure it will be a great rally... :great: :great: :great:

Thanks Rich. Much appreciated.
We have a route set up for folks to do a day ride on their bikes.

The folks that live in the area say that the most direct ride to the Museum would be a 2 1/2 - 3 hour ride each way.
  Seeing the Museum, and doing a tour Bus ride around the site will take another 3-4 hours.
  Add another hour for a meal somewhere, and its a 10-12 hour day.

Jay has me looking into the possibility of arranging a bus tour that departs from the Motel.
  I've done the preliminary fact gathering and it ain't cheap..
  The price makes me wonder if we would have enough/any interest??

We're not looking for anyone to sign up now.
Just trying to see if folks want us to proceed with planning a tour from the Motel??

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Thanks Rich. Much appreciated.
We have a route set up for folks to do a day ride on their bikes.

The folks that live in the area say that the most direct ride to the Museum would be a 2 1/2 - 3 hour ride each way.
  Seeing the Museum, and doing a tour Bus ride around the site will take another 3-4 hours.
  Add another hour for a meal somewhere, and its a 10-12 hour day.

Jay has me looking into the possibility of arranging a bus tour that departs from the Motel.
  I've done the preliminary fact gathering and it ain't cheap..
  The price makes me wonder if we would have enough/any interest??

We're not looking for anyone to sign up now.
Just trying to see if folks want us to proceed with planning a tour from the Motel??

Ride safe, Ted

I kinda read that, I really did...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
connie_rider said:
I've done more research and NEED your thoughts.
Because of the distance/time we've been looking into arranging a Group Tour from the Motel to see Gettysburg.
Costs are more than I hoped, but may be possible if we have enough interest. {??}

NOTE: We've had 2 locals make the trip and their saying round trip ride time is 6-8 hours.
          To actually see Gettysburg I feel you need a minimum of 3-4 hours.
            So the total day (and actually experience Gettysburg} would be 10-12 hours.

For that reason, I've been trying to arrange a Tour in a Bus or Van.
But, I can't do any arranging on that idea until I have some idea if it would be used.
Did I mention that I need your thoughts on this???? hint/hint

NOTE: I'm leaning towards the 12 passenger van as the best option if we do this as a group.

Here are the approx. costs.

{31 pass Motorcoach / Guide / Museum etc / food}    about $110 per person    Based on 20 people
                    {12 pass Van / guide / Museum etc / food}                about $75 per person      Based on 10 people
  (bikes/personal vehicles / Museum etc / bus tour / food}              about $70 per person    {try to do tour together}
(bikes/personal vehicles /museum only / ride the park / food}        about $45 per person      (ie; on your own}

Please let me know your thoughts!!

Ride safe, Ted     

that was kinda why I answered,

we can pull something together.. as I noted, there is sooo much there to see, It is tough to say $xxx for about half a days worth of exploring, and a lot of Bus time.

I'd be willing to work out a scenario of hooking up with the guide, and we plant him on the back of one of our bikes, to do the battlefields.. and he can do his thing. that seems better suited, and also allows a more rapid travel to and from, and meals, as folks desire..
spending a day on a bus to the museum..(the museum is cool, but the real experience is covering the actual battle, and walking in the fields, here the war was fought.. it's a moving experience, unless you have stood in these places, and pondered the history, in reverence and silence, you won't get what I'm saying.);after riding to see everyone, makes me feel like a 'golden ager', and I ain't there yet (at THAT age..). :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm sure there will be a lot of folks that are interested in doing it, but really it is a bit early to make plans with thier staff, and start thinking about costing it all out.. a gentle steady path would be to remind folks, but not set money out yet.... things change, and I'm sure during the "winter months" a lot of progress could be accomplished, easier, and more timely as it's the 'slow period' for everyone, so people can concentrate easier on firming things up... Having ridden thru there many times, alone, and with Joe C., and also the route around Sharpsburg, and Harpers Ferry, and associated battlefields, Getty'sburg alone is a huge day.... I personally think to really see it well, it takes almost 2 days.

I'll be glad to help toss a ride and route together, but I don't think I would be (my personal opinion) doing the tour bus route myself, as the freedom to bug out, and really hit the spots you want to see, eat when and what you want to eat,(target rich environment for food...) with the options of moving at whatever pace you find comfy with, doesn't really allow for those options.
I would ride my bike tho, and then spend my $$ on this in lieu of a bus ride:

http://www.segtours.com/

Anyway, I think it's a cool thing, and thru this winter I'll compile a 'packet' for perusal.

You guys have my email, we can discuss if you want anytime, so I'll leave it open for now.

No matter what tho, I'm sure it will be a great rally... :great: :great: :great:
[/quote]

I agree with you.  It's a bit too early to make that kind of decision.  I also would rather ride my bike than take a bus tour.

Irene

Thanks for the replies.
I'm primarily asking if folks would prefer to ride their bikes or do a bus tour from the Motel.

If folks plan to ride their bikes, we have a head start.
    One of the locals has already developed a route for the bikes.
    If that comes out as most folks choice, we can work from there.

If we have enough interest in a tour from the Motel, we can look more into that.
    If that comes out as most folks choice, we can look into how to make it possible.

As I sed, we're not looking for a final decision. We're bouncing around a new idea.
  So, {even if you don't plan to attend} tell us what you think about the club doing something like this?

Ride safe, Ted

Bringing this up again to try to get responses.
  Thank you MOB and Funsize for your input.
    MOB; I sent you a PM. (would appreciate assistance with planning)
    Funsize: I agree it's too early for an individual to make a decision to go with us.

We are not looking for a "sign up" to go with us on a bus.
  We are only asking {in general} if folks would be interested in such a plan?
  ie;  Is there any interest in doing a bus tour from the Motel?

Also: Would there be any intertest in riding together to Gettysburg on a specified day?
          {In Texas we did a group ride to the Nimitz museum {with discounts and a special host}

Ride safe, Ted

Bringing this up again as it's been a month.
Is anyone interested in us arranging a group visit to Gettysburg during next years National????

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I mentioned in another post about traveling to the Flight 93 Memorial, in Somerset Pa. from the national.
It's a long ugly ride so I suggested trying to work it into ones travel plans heading to the National...……..

Gettysburg might fall into this also. A good number of people will be coming from the south and could visit Gettysburg on the way to the rally. If they layed over in Gettysburg they spend a good bit of a day at the Park and then jump on the highway and blast up to Williamsport.

just a thought.
jason

3 to 4 hours for Gettysburg is a short estimate. With a start at the visitors center, and just the drive around and battlefield it might be possible. If you stop at all of the points of interest and read the signs it can take much longer. Traffic will creep along with a lot of one way routes. The cd or guided tour will keep you on a schedule. That may be enough for most people, others may want more.

The visitors center is a must do. It will give you an overview of the battle. The battlefield driving tour will bring the scope of the battle in to perspective.

I drove by last weekend and saw a billboard about an app. Sorry but I didn't get the info at 70 mph.