• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

iphone GPS

Anyone own an iphone and looking at using the new voice turn by turn GPS app? If so (or even if not) what did you use to mount your iphone on the connie? 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

I haven't heard much good about the ATT GPS app for iphone, not to mention cost. One post I saw pointed out that you can buy a MUCH BETTER, dedicated unit for the cost of 1 yr of AT&T fees... something to think about. Not to mention you can get a dedicated unit that will be weather-resistant. My Garmin 2610 performed flawlessly in some pretty driving downpours on a trip once. I've got a RAM mount for my iphone I use in the car. Holds the iphone pretty solid. I also have a RAM mount for my Garmin on the bike. A number of different ways to attach a RAM mount to the bike. Mine is on with "mushroom cap" plastic 'velcro' (w/ industrial adhesive backing)to the dash, and a round RAM ball. Holds solid, no vibration.

Well - as far as that goes dan, I carry my iphone with me already - no need to add a new device if it can do everything I need it to including GPS. I have looked at the ram mounts, however, I am looking for something not attched to the handlebars but something more in the middle closer to the tree fork. plus, since the new gps app has voice turn by turn it will play within the my helmet on bluetooth speakers I installed. 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

I love my iPhone, I do everything with it. I'd drop the DSL connection and go straight to iPhone if it came down to it. 3G is a nice fast connection, it as a cellphone revolution. I've got the 3g 16Gb model. That said, I would never want it for main GPS. My cheapo, ($50 on woot) Mio gets a much better satellite connection and KEEPS it better than the iPhone. You can try out the iPhone's GPS with the built-in Google maps. Tried to use it 2 times and dropped and couldn't re-establish satellite connection quick enough to show me the next turn 3 miles ahead. Another time it freaked out from an incoming call. I will always prefer a dedicated GPS and a <b>separate</b> device for Texting, calendar, photos, camera, Weather Channel,Alarms, Grocery list, Google, eReader, Voice Memos, Wiki,contacts, calculator, YouTube, Dictionary, notes, Stopwatch, Tally Counter, Unit Converter, Scrabble, Email, iPod, internet, and telephone. My opinion is based on my 3G phone, maybe the 3GS is better? I dig convergence, but you'll recall that they NEVER built the communicator into the tricorder or the phaser on Star Trek. edit: +1 on mounting it off the handlebars, you'll be left with an ipod case filled with bits. That spot above the instrument panel is nearly vibration-free.

The only advantage I would see to having the iPhone for GPS would be the AT&T Navigator's advantage up live updates for road/traffic conditions. I have a couple of sales people that I support who have used the AT&T Navigator and they swear by the traffic avoidance features of it. Saying that for $120 per year for the live updates, it's a bargain. If it saves them 3 hours a year, it more than pays for itself. That said, I haven't put it on my blackberry because I am quite happy with my Zumo. In the end it boils down to personal preference and choice.

The new apps for the iphone regarding GPS are map loaded not full satellite like most phone gps or even the stock google maps app. Check out more info at http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/tabid/2463/Default.aspx it does use the gps function for obtaining your position on the map but you don't have to wait years for the connection on google maps. Just bought the wife a new garmin so I am trying to do mine on the cheap and for $35 and no monthly fees seems reasonable. 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

I love my Iphone and use the GPS sometimes in the car if needed. It's no Zumo though, I wouldn't want to use it as a dedicated bike GPS. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

I have the iPhone competitor, the Samsung Instinct. I love the phone and it comes with a nice turn-by-turn GPS included at no extra cost. The "everything" plan for $99 per month covers unlimited calling, data, gps, messaging, etc. Very nice. I used the GPS feature to get me from Greenville to a friends' house up in the Table Rock area of SC. I put the phone in my tank bag map pocket and used a cigarette lighter adapter and car phone charger for a temporary power supply. I connected this to the SAE plug on my Battery Tender cable. I ride a bike with a smaller windshield but I could still hear some of the voice commands, and I could see the GPS pretty well. It worked well and took me right to the driveway of the friends' house. I've since bought a used waterproof Garmin from a friend ($150 with 3 power cords (2 for bike, 1 for car) and car mount. I will be mounting it so I can put it on both my bikes, the Intruder 1500 and ZZR 1200, and the cage. The bigger GPS has more features and can be very useful. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/inde

Almost all Sprint phones offer the GPS functionality since it runs on Sprint servers and displays on the phone. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/inde