• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is C-14 too powerful?

jbalko27

Training Wheels
I'm seriously considering joining the ranks of the sport touring community and picking up a 2011 C14 w/ ABS.  I have a slight reservation with it's power.  I've got about 7 years of riding experience.  I've been riding Harley Davidson's for the past 3 years.  Back in 2004 i rode a Honda CBR 600 f4i for a year or so.  I would consider myself an intermediate skilled rider.  Probably a silly concern, but I just don't want to be pulling wheelies or sneeze and accidently grab the throttle and put myself into a bad situation.  I had the same concerns back when I got the CBR and things worked out OK, but this is more than 2X the engine that it had.  I realize the HD's i've been riding have bigger engines than the C14, but there's a big difference.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same reservation and went with it and how its worked out.

Not really,  the C-14 is a very powerful bike this is true, but it's not going to bite you as long as you respect it pretty much like any modern motorcycle.  Plus the 2010+ comes with traction control and ABS which really do help a lot...

If you've been riding for 7 years you will be fine,  yes it's more then your old CBR power wise, but it also weighs more.  The only areas I had to get used to were the weight and the low speed handling (it's a little top heavy but not really that bad)

I wouldn't be afraid of it,  if you have 7 years of experience you should be fine

I have only test drove the C-14's. (4 times)
I DO love the power, but not willing (right now) to spend the $$ required to get that extra power.
(let the flames begin)

In answer to your question though. The C-14 power is controllable.
IF YOU HAVE THE WILL POWER NOT TO GRAB A HANDFULL OF THROTTLE, a sneeze/twitch of the throttle shouldn't be a problem.

Ride safe, Ted

The C14 employs secondary butterflies in the throttle body that stay pretty far closed in the lower RPMs and they greatly restrict both low end torque and throttle response. The result is that the engine power and response has already been significantly toned down by Kawasaki, and the bike is very rider friendly and forgiving, even to a new rider.

Thanks for the replies.  That's kinda what I was thinking, but it helps to hear it from those who ride them.  I'm a pretty conservative rider, so I would definately respect the bike's power. 

Have any of you made the transition from a cruiser-type bike to the C14?  Most of the online reviews I read were from people with a sport bike background, so I can understand what i've read with a lot of reviewers saying the bike is heavy.  From my perspective, the HD's i've been riding (Street Glide, Street Bob, etc) have weighed from 670-850 (+/-) lbs, so I'm not sure if the C14 would feel noticeably heavy to me.

Thanks again

When I test rode a 08 I found the bike to have plenty of power but it was very smooth and easy to control. While I'm not the wheelie type I did get a chance to get some space during the guided ride and open it up. Dropped it to second gear from 4th at about 40 mph and opened it wide, power was smooth and strong building while the RPM's did but at no time did I feel the bike was uncontrollable. The engine is electric motor smooth and the bike is very easy to ride at any pace IMHO.

I have managed to get the front wheel off the ground power shifting into second a few times. Its pretty fun, but we are talking an inch or two at most. I have also popped a wheelie in first once or twice, this being more like a foot or so, but that takes practice and lots and lots of stupidity. Its certainly not going to scare the crap out of you like some other bikes out there. Its just too heavy for that. Plus you can't wheelie a shafty, right?

Is the C-14 too powerful... not without a turbo... a BIG one.  :-\ :D

In all honesty, while the C14 IS a very strong runner, it is also a lot of weight for that power to haul around.  SO I wouldn't be afraid of it.  Just know it will go when you want it to and that a sneeze isn't going to be a problem, at least not as far as the power is concerned.  Add to that the C-14's strong and somewhat forgiving handling and there is a even bit less to worry about, add to that the traction control and ABS of the latest iteration and the C-14 is a beast well tamed.  I would imagine that soon enough, as many others have found, you'll be looking for a little more oomph... which is of course available by pulling the flies, adding a pipe and PC or even a turbo for those days you;re feeling particularly irresponsible.  :motonoises:

Jon said:
<SNIP>
From my perspective, the HD's i've been riding (Street Glide, Street Bob, etc) have weighed from 670-850 (+/-) lbs, so I'm not sure if the C14 would feel noticeably heavy to me.

Thanks again

A little different in the way the weight is carried.  THe center of gravity is higher, so at slow speeds or padding around the driveway she will feel a little "heavier" though she is not really AS heavy.  Get her rolling and that all goes away quickly.

Thanks again for all the confidence inspiring replies.  I'm going to make my decision today as Kawasaki's financing offer expires tomorrow.  Right now, I'm pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on it. 

Hey Rev, is this a chalenge?  Time to post a link to your video again, I think.

"Plus you can't wheelie a shafty, right?"

oldsawfiler said:

Yeah, shafties can't wheelie.  :beerchug:

(of course mine is of the faster, better looking, antiquish 1986 C-10 variety) ~duck~

oldsawfiler said:

And there's no such thing as a Turbo Connie.

Jon said:
Thanks for the replies.  That's kinda what I was thinking, but it helps to hear it from those who ride them.  I'm a pretty conservative rider, so I would definitely respect the bike's power. 

Have any of you made the transition from a cruiser-type bike to the C14?  Most of the online reviews I read were from people with a sport bike background, so I can understand what i've read with a lot of reviewers saying the bike is heavy.  From my perspective, the HD's i've been riding (Street Glide, Street Bob, etc) have weighed from 670-850 (+/-) lbs, so I'm not sure if the C14 would feel noticeably heavy to me.

Thanks again
I went from a Honda VTX-1800c to the C14. Coming right off the VTX cruiser the bike feels top heavy at rest..stopped, It's seat height is on the tall side compared to cruisers and even the FJR. I... like a lot of  people cannot reach the ground flat footed when stopped. Once under way the top heaviness completely disappears and you are riding a smooth light feeling nimble machine that begs the twisty roads and will sit you back in your seat when you pin the throttle wide open. The power delivery low rpm @ low speed is very smooth.. nothing impressive are surprising..just electric smooth. Twist the throttle...4 grand it starts to wake up a little ...around 6-7 grand you'll realize there is 1400cc under you after all. The bike is a blast to ride and I adapted to the seat tank junction height also top heavy weight isn't an issue after a little seat time.

gasman5.0 said:
I went from a Honda VTX-1800c to the C14. Coming right off the VTX cruiser the bike feels top heavy at rest..stopped, It's seat height is on the tall side compared to cruisers and even the FJR. I... like a lot of  people cannot reach the ground flat footed when stopped.

Thanks.  That was another question/concern.  How is it manuevering the bike in/out of parking with the higher seat height?  I guess just another thing i'll get used to  ;D

moved up from a honda vt1100  to  a 09 c14  and  as someone said  a little top heavy  at slow  slow speed but just get rolling and all is well,have ridden motorcycles  for over 40  years all types , the  c14  is by  far  the best i have ever owned,the power is just  right  for  what i do, it  can be a street cruz or  a good fast sport  bike  yr choice,and then  if you dont  need  the power  dont twist  to far!! but  nice to have it there when  you need it to dodge the  cage  people ,ride one  buy one  you  will  not regret it  cog9178

Jon,

I don't have the years of experience as you do.  I have been riding for three 3 years but I have ridden over 35k miles in those three years.  My previous bike was a Suzuki M90 (1500 cruiser), and I too was concerned about the power of the C-14...inadvertently pulling wheelies. I have been riding my 2009 non-abs C-14 since February (7k miles) and often push it to 5k-6k rpm in 1st-3rd gears without pulling wheelies. I think you really have to push it to get the wheel off the ground.

So, it is a very powerful bike but you control the power.

Thanks for all the advice.  I took that advice and went ahead and bought the bike today.  I couldn't be happier with it.  Very smooth ride, very controllable power.  All of my worries are gone.  I'm glad I found this forum.  Looking forward to hours in the saddle and on the forum!

Thanks for going me the boost of confidence I needed.  You guys were 100% spot-on!

"... let go of the damn plane and jump!" is what I was told.  You can talk about it while you're strapping the thing on and you can think about it climbing out but, you won't know what it is until your cheeks are slapping your temples, that canopy pops full of sky and your underwear are giving you heartburn.  Some things you work out all on your own, son.  In answer to your question, maybe it is... maybe it isn't.

MrPepsi said:
Plus you can't wheelie a shafty, right?

Nope...  :017:

Conniewheelie2.jpg

MrPepsi said:
Took you long enough man.

Sorry bro, work is really getting in my way lately for forum time...  :banghead: :41:

<edit> Oh, and by the way, I hear only the black ones can wheelie...  :motonoises:  ;D  :beerchug:

Jon said:
Thanks for all the advice.  I took that advice and went ahead and bought the bike today.  I couldn't be happier with it.  Very smooth ride, very controllable power.  All of my worries are gone.  I'm glad I found this forum.  Looking forward to hours in the saddle and on the forum!

Thanks for going me the boost of confidence I needed.  You guys were 100% spot-on!

Black or Silver? Your a little vague on the information. And no pictures? What is this!!!!  :)

Yeah, but can you NOT wheelie a Turbo Connie? :deadhorse:
I'll bet that every owner of a Turbo Connie (C10 or C14) has wheelied it.
If not,..... then WHY NOT?  :))

Jon, congrats on the new bike.
Next big question. Have you joned the club? 

If not. "Do it"....  Great group of people.
Then, come ride with us!!!  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

MrPepsi said:
I have managed to get the front wheel off the ground power shifting into second a few times. Its pretty fun, but we are talking an inch or two at most. I have also popped a wheelie in first once or twice, this being more like a foot or so, but that takes practice and lots and lots of stupidity. Its certainly not going to scare the crap out of you like some other bikes out there. Its just too heavy for that. Plus you can't wheelie a shafty, right?

You're kidding about the "can't wheelie a shafty" remark, right? (Shafties with ample power, and traction-control-systems that can be disengaged, wheelie just fine -- but you know that.)

On the original question I'd say this: It depends on what you want, what you're comfortable with and how well you ride.

I've seen very committed, disciplined people become very, very good riders in a couple years, but they put on a LOT of miles while getting  LOTS of formal training and coaching -- from safety training through accident avoidance and track days.

I've seen others who claim to have been riding for fifteen or twenty years but STILL drag their feet whenever they start up or slow down.  :eek:  I have to assume they're not improving because their twenty years of riding has included mostly brief periods of fair-weather-riding, with short distances and little training or challenging riding. If you have accumulated a lot of miles your seven years, and you've had the benefit of some good training that you've been practicing, I suspect you'll find the Connie a real joy to ride, with very tractable power and strong safety systems.

As an aside, I rode motocross as a kid in the late 70s. Lots of jumping, sliding and hot-dogging around. Lots of stupid...definitely more than my share. I thought I knew how to ride too, so I didn't bother to get any road-related training when I transitioned to road bikes. I rode the road bikes like a dirt-biker, and it nearly cost me my life when I stuffed my 1982 GPz-750 into a Dodge Dart in 1983. When I finally got some training I was amazed to find out how many bad habits I had. Dirtbiking had trainined a focus that was far too close to the bike, with too much looking down, and not enough looking ahead. I was a truly mediocre road-rider, or worse. Since then I have become a much better rider and, when nothing else is going on, I try to coach myself through corner planning and other skills I have been taught, but I still make LOTS of mistakes. I'm a work in progress. I think I'm a decent rider, but I'm definitely not a "natural" and I'm not great. It's taken a lot of time, training and miles to get me to the point where I'm "decent" -- but the most important thing is I know my limitations pretty well. I'm hoping that will allow me to continue enjoying my riding for many years to come. I wish the same for you, hopefully on your new Connie! :)  ;D

Yes Iwas. Its an old myth that Shafties can't wheelie. I was goating Rev to post his video. ZG came through though.

MrPepsi said:
Yes Iwas. Its an old myth that Shafties can't wheelie. I was goating Rev to post his video. ZG came through though.

My old BMW R1100RT-P (fully dressed police bike) was very easy to inadvertantly pop a wheelie on and it is a shafty. Have yet to try it purposely on Connie yet.

MrPepsi said:
I'm goat resistant, see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKHrObHWVIA

But since this thread was about C-14s I was REEEEEEALLY trying to contain myself. LOL

Oh, BTW, these days with the EFI and the additional power it brought, the clutch is no longer needed or desired for second gear wheelies.  Just power on and try to keep it from going over.
Some better gas and two more psi of boost and third gear over backwards will be a possibility.  :motonoises:

My shaft drive Daytona Super Bike Race prepared Moto Guzzi V7Sport painted by Lionel Chin to look like an 850 LeManns (because the 850's frame turned out to be junk) did a wheelie... 1850 rpm in first, clutch, slam it, dump it, it lifted rotating to port then back through center and about six degrees to starboard then back to center for the touch down... if you were lucky, which I was and that was the only time I tried it.

Buy a unicycle for a true leap of faith... or just remove the front forks from the ole GAS GAS.

Kids!

Interesting thread, I too am a conservative rider having long past my glory days.  Recently I had a dumb woman pull out in front of me and then stop dead in the street.  I had to make an emergency maneuver around her. As I passed her driver door I nailed it hard.  To my surprise the back end spun out the the left about a foot and a half and the front end came up about a foot and a half.  Felt like I was 16 years old coming out of a decreasing radius turn.

I confess, it felt really good.  :beerchug: 

Had a dream last night that turned into a nightmare.  I'm 26 years old headed for Cutler Ridge on the newly opened Florida Pike, handlebar to handlebar with Howard Norman... both on our track bikes.  We pull off the Pike and we're sitting under the overpass with our helmets off deciding where to have breakfast when the State Cop sifts in behind us... goes back to his cruiser with our licenses in his hand... walks back and hands us each a written WARNING for "SPEED IN EXCESS OF 130 MPH."  He said he only had one radar gun and couldn't swear which one of us was passing the other... asked us to confirm that one was passing the other but we were pretty speechless.  He walked around the two Factory bikes, knelt down, touched stuff, stood up, looked us both in the eyes and said, "Get these f____ing things off the street!"

I woke up excited by the fact that I could go out to the garage and... but this pain pierced my lower right side as I swung my feet to the floor and as I stood up the nightmare began.  I limped to the bathroom, flipped on the light and looked in the mirror... sixty-two...

Wheelie on, Boys.

domo said:
Had a dream last night that turned into a nightmare.  I'm 26 years old headed for Cutler Ridge on the newly opened Florida Pike, handlebar to handlebar with Howard Norman... both on our track bikes.  We pull off the Pike and we're sitting under the overpass with our helmets off deciding where to have breakfast when the State Cop sifts in behind us... goes back to his cruiser with our licenses in his hand... walks back and hands us each a written WARNING for "SPEED IN EXCESS OF 130 MPH."  He said he only had one radar gun and couldn't swear which one of us was passing the other... asked us to confirm that one was passing the other but we were pretty speechless.  He walked around the two Factory bikes, knelt down, touched stuff, stood up, looked us both in the eyes and said, "Get these f____ing things off the street!"

I woke up excited by the fact that I could go out to the garage and... but this pain pierced my lower right side as I swung my feet to the floor and as I stood up the nightmare began.  I limped to the bathroom, flipped on the light and looked in the mirror... sixty-two...

Wheelie on, Boys.

:D

Right on D!  :beerchug:

"Hey", I have the same reverse-magic mirror at my house!!!

Hate that thing.....  :mad:

Mebbe we should throw them out of the house and go act like were 26???  :)

Ride safe, Ted

hee hee,, ya can't push 55 either!!! :nananana:  :p

"bet" ya thought I wasn't watchin fer yer posts!!!  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Jon said:
gasman5.0 said:
I went from a Honda VTX-1800c to the C14. Coming right off the VTX cruiser the bike feels top heavy at rest..stopped, It's seat height is on the tall side compared to cruisers and even the FJR. I... like a lot of  people cannot reach the ground flat footed when stopped.

Thanks.  That was another question/concern.  How is it manuevering the bike in/out of parking with the higher seat height?  I guess just another thing i'll get used to  ;D
Maneuvering it under foot power... seated on flat ground is OK. Now trying to move it up an incline are slight grade is very hard for ME I have about 32" inseam and I also have a Russell seat which adds a little height. Under power is easy to move around parking lots etc.. The bike is extremely well balanced. This is without a doubt the very best bike I have owned. It's a total blast to ride be it running down the interstate or scraping the pegs in the twisties.

Jon said:
I'm seriously considering joining the ranks of the sport touring community and picking up a 2011 C14 w/ ABS.  I have a slight reservation with it's power.  I've got about 7 years of riding experience.  I've been riding Harley Davidson's for the past 3 years.  Back in 2004 i rode a Honda CBR 600 f4i for a year or so.  I would consider myself an intermediate skilled rider.  Probably a silly concern, but I just don't want to be pulling wheelies or sneeze and accidently grab the throttle and put myself into a bad situation.  I had the same concerns back when I got the CBR and things worked out OK, but this is more than 2X the engine that it had.  I realize the HD's i've been riding have bigger engines than the C14, but there's a big difference.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same reservation and went with it and how its worked out.

Is this for real?  Are Harley riders so far removed from modern motorcycles that they don't know this?  Sad state of affairs, guess that's what happens when you ride a 70 yr old motorcycle design.......

ZG said:
MrPepsi said:
Took you long enough man.

Sorry bro, work is really getting in my way lately for forum time...  :banghead: :41:

<edit> Oh, and by the way, I hear only the black ones can wheelie...  :motonoises:  ;D  :beerchug:
Metallic Diablo Black rider here, yes it wheelie's... ask my copilot  :)

Jon said:
Thanks for the replies.  That's kinda what I was thinking, but it helps to hear it from those who ride them.  I'm a pretty conservative rider, so I would definately respect the bike's power. 

Thanks again

Jon,
In March 2011 I went from a Suzuki C50T cruiser to a 2011 Connie with similar concerns. I was also worried about the handling and riding differences. The Suzuki seemed anemic in the power realm and not too sure footed. I, however, was not sure if that was due to my limited riding experience of only 9 months.
When I rode away from the store with the Connie I was shakey and cautious by time I got home some 20 minutes later I promptly changed to a lighter riding jacket and put a hundred miles on the thing that first day. I now have over 2500 miles on her.  I never logged back.

This bike is so smooth and super easy to ride. The one must, in my opinion, is a bigger wind screen. I opted for the Cee Bailey touring dome.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. No definitive research but riding up here in the DC it is reassuring to have the extra CCs and horses so the bike can get out of the way even in 6th gear. There is a noticeable throttle lag in 6th gear and economy mode selected.  Regardless it can still get out of the way. That Suzuki didn't have enough power to get out of its own way at or above 60 mph. Something I had to get use to was the amazing closure rate this thing can produce but the brakes are amazing.

Beyond the power, slow speed and tight maneuvering are amazing when compared to the Suzuki. I did pull a dumb@$$ maneuver about a month after having the bike.  I was stuck in a traffic jam in high heat so I was trying to pull into some shade on the road close to the edge, it was a down hill road and I was only moving about. 5MPH.  I grabbed for the front brake with the front wheel turned slightly right. The girl tried to go down but I stopped her from going down at the cost of a charlie horse so bad it brused and had to have an MRI on the knee I thought I damaged. All that to say, this girl is much higher and heavier than the Suzuki.

In closing, again my opinion with very limited experience, the Connie is the best thing I could have purchased. She is so tame, relatively speaking I am encouraging my wife to drive her.

Fred.

Zedhed said:
Is this for real?  Are Harley riders so far removed from modern motorcycles that they don't know this?  Sad state of affairs, guess that's what happens when you ride a 70 yr old motorcycle design.......

Actually, I read this article http://www.smartcycleshopper.com/motorcycle-reviews/2010-kawasaki-consours-14-expert-motorcycle-review/ which is what got me nervous.  They only recommended the bike for expert riders, which I do not consider myself.  That and I didn't want to waste 15k on something that I wouldn't be able to handle. 

Thanks to the kind advice of the others who provided constructive advice, I went ahead and got the bike and love it.  I wasn't aware that Kawasaki had tamed the engine down for this bike compared to what's on their super sport bike.  At any rate, all is good and I'm looking foward to many miles on this sweet ride!  ;D

Ride Safe

Thanks ACR_SCOUT.  I found out about walking the bike out of a parking stall on a slight up-grade.  Don't think it'll be an issue once I get a new seat.  I ordered a corbin and had the do a 'nose job' on it to lower it a little.  Should be 1.5 - 2 inches lower than stock which should take care of it.

Ride Safe!

Jon said:
Thanks ACR_SCOUT.  I found out about walking the bike out of a parking stall on a slight up-grade.  Don't think it'll be an issue once I get a new seat.  I ordered a corbin and had the do a 'nose job' on it to lower it a little.  Should be 1.5 - 2 inches lower than stock which should take care of it.

Ride Safe!

Congrats Jon, you'll love the Corbin!  :13: