• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is there anyone here that uses ......

I normally wear either an ICON Fieldplate armor with spine protection under my leathers.  .

Cost me about $100 online,  I have about 15K miles on it,  wears and feels great.  Easy on and off,  fits under my leather without issue.  Gets my vote.

Attachments

• Icon-Back.jpg
    Icon-Back.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 94
  • Icon-Front.jpg
    Icon-Front.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 96
I've got one I wear at the track, but I don't use it for street riding.  I sweat underneath it too much to wear for general use.

Better than 80% of my riding is commuting and I can GUARANTEE you that I'm not moving fast enough...

Road rash from a crash is a terrible thing and it'd be good to avoid.

Crashing because you pass out from the heat on a sunny Florida day is also a bad thing.  Safety is a tradeoff.  If I want to stay absolutely safe, I'll stay home in bed!

ChipDoc said:
Better than 80% of my riding is commuting and I can GUARANTEE you that I'm not moving fast enough...

Road rash from a crash is a terrible thing and it'd be good to avoid.

Crashing because you pass out from the heat on a sunny Florida day is also a bad thing.  Safety is a tradeoff.  If I want to stay absolutely safe, I'll stay home in bed!

Hello Chip, so are you saying this type of protection is not worth it due to lack of comfort? or worth it and suck up the discomfort?

Also on a side note, did you make any of the ride safe courses?

Cheers
Ron

Are you not wearing a motorcycle-specific riding jacket?  Every one of my bike jackets has built-in CE back and elbow protection.  Granted, not the same level as the stand-alone pieces but definitely better than the average bear.  My 3/4 Tourmaster, Tourmaster GX Air, Alpinestars leather, even the Joe Rocket mesh summer jacket has the CE protection.  I can't find one in my house WITHOUT back protection.  Just wondering why you're thinking of that particular type. 

I'm assuming you mean for street riding only as the C10 isn't a track bike.  Now THAT would be something to see!  Of course, you'd have to keep the bags and hopefully a trunk to complete the absurdity.  I know there are plenty of guys who would lap me and my Interceptor on a fully-laden C10.  With girlfriend on the back.

OH!!! yeah my jacket has armor, but nothing like a back/spine protection that I mentioned.  It's night and day differance. Compared to anything like a dedicated back armor.  I am looking at added/better protection options.

Cheers
Ron

SAS Mayhem said:
Hello Chip, so are you saying this type of protection is not worth it due to lack of comfort? or worth it and suck up the discomfort?

I'm saying that, when commuting an hour and a half creeping through rush-hour traffic in the blazing sun, it is not worth it to ME.  I wear a 3/4 armored mesh jacket, gloves and a helmet, but I don't wear the riding pants and I'm definitely not strapping on armor underneath.  You really CAN pass out from that heat/fumes/sun combination so adding more heat to the equation in the name of safety is something that I believe would actively undermine my safety.

I actually wear a CoolVest under the mesh in July and August.  And even at that, I bring clothes to change into when I get to work absolutely wringing wet.  Riding in the rain is an unspeakable relief.

SAS Mayhem said:

I sure have.  I recommend them to all!

ChipDoc said:
SAS Mayhem said:

I'm saying that, when commuting an hour and a half creeping through rush-hour traffic in the blazing sun, it is not worth it to ME.  I wear a 3/4 armored mesh jacket, gloves and a helmet, but I don't wear the riding pants and I'm definitely not strapping on armor underneath.  You really CAN pass out from that heat/fumes/sun combination so adding more heat to the equation in the name of safety is something that I believe would actively undermine my safety.

I actually wear a CoolVest under the mesh in July and August.  And even at that, I bring clothes to change into when I get to work absolutely wringing wet.  Riding in the rain is an unspeakable relief.

SAS Mayhem said:

I sure have.  I recommend them to all!

Okay Chip I see your point.  If I do get one, I don't see wearing it all year round.  But I still might get a "better" drop in back pad tha what come with the jacket.

Cheers
Ron

I also ride through the Florida summers, and often at slower speeds due to traffic.

On the warmer days I switch my armor plate to a light mesh jacket over my Perrini plate which allows a lot of air flow and stays cool while providing me abrasion and impact protection.

http://www.topgearleather.com/product/342/CE-Approved-Full-Body-Armor.html

Just two weeks ago I had the misfortune of seeing the benefits this Perrini armor provided.  One of my regular ride buddies was T-Boned by a van turning across his lane while wearing this armor with no covering jacket.  He and the bike went under the van and the driver of the van sped away in a hit and run.  Rider was air lifted to a regional trauma center where they found fractured ribs, bruising on his lung and a small bleed from his spleen.    The medical staff all agreed that without his armor and helmet the outcome would have been significantly worse.  Fractures would have more than likely been breaks,  bruising would likely have escalated to punctures or lung deflation,  spleen would have required surgery or removal.  I looked at his armor gear that had been cut off him by the EMT's    it took significant impacts and protected the rider from road rash,  it dispersed the impacts and spread the loads to reduce the pin point pressures.  He is a lucky guy,  sore but lucky and alive with reduced recovery time.  Armor and a helmet were key to the positive outcome.

No safety gear can protect you from everything,  but I believe that a little added safety goes a long way and is cheap insurance in the long term even if it means a little extra sweat or time to prepare.

Attachments

• Perrini_1.jpg
    Perrini_1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 92
  • Perrini_2.jpg
    Perrini_2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 94
Ive been considering buying this type of armor as well, particularly the whole "shirt" type with the shoulder and elbow protection. I am a crasher, so this is particularly important to me!

I love the Icon leather jacket and leather pants I have been wearing up to this point, but they just are not that versetile. With the armor I would be able to change out my outer layer as necessary...everything from a leather jacket to a long sleeve t-shirt, and I would be fully armored no matter what the configuration. When I rode to Key West I was smoking hot just like Chipdoc said, and when it came time to pull on my raingear, over my riding gear...it was uncomfortable, but I didnt want to take my riding gear off and sacrifice my armored protection. With this type of armor on it would have been easy. I have since bought a textile riding suit, but my personal opinion is that the armor is lacking.

My question is, how crash worthy are they? Im sure the armor is great, but what about the fabric that holds the armor plates together, particularly in the shirt style?

Trench,

At $50 each its almost disposable.  In most accidents that require EMT response they will simply cut you gear off you without concern for replacement cost.  I have not crash tested mine yet,  but I would gladly spend another $50 if it means I do not have the pain of road rash for days to come not counting the pain of bones and breaks.

I am sure they will wear and tear like any other light mesh gear,  maybe requiring replacement every year or so,  but in my book thats well worth it. 

I'm lookin' for something like this: 
images

Not too cool in the summer, but well protected.

I have a Sedici 3 in 1 Jacket that has armor incorporated into it, and it's pretty well
ventilated.  I'm not sure how it stands up to dedicated armor, but I'm hoping it
does the job, God forbid the time comes.  I'll always have some type of armor on when
I ride...  I feel nekked without it.

Umfundisi,

I dont know how I skipped over the article about your friend. glad hes Ok, and Im sold.

I will be ordering my $50 insurance policy next week. Hopefully I can find it in Boba Fett

All of my nylon jackets have race-spec spine protectors in them, plus shoulder, elbow etc. armor.

My leather jacket has nothing, its Harley-spec.