• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is this right??

simply40

Training Wheels
Just put on my new PR3's at the dealer.  My question is they put 6ea 1/4oz wights all on the same side of the rim.  should they have been split on each side of the rim or doesn't it matter?

I've now had 12 sets of tires installed on my bike since 08 and I found that in the front you really need to balance them out and get them as close to the center of the wheel is possible.

Putting them all on one side and out towards the edge of the rim will cause a wobble in the front wheel especially if you don't have the right torque on the neck races.

It doesn't appear to be as critical on the rear wheel but I do try to put the weights closer to the center of the wheel.

Chris said:
I've now had 12 sets of tires installed on my bike since 08 and I found that in the front you really need to balance them out and get them as close to the center of the wheel is possible.

Putting them all on one side and out towards the edge of the rim will cause a wobble in the front wheel especially if you don't have the right torque on the neck races.

It doesn't appear to be as critical on the rear wheel but I do try to put the weights closer to the center of the wheel.

Yes, that is correct. I rode all the way from California to Colorado and back with a very slight, almost imperceptible wobble and couldn't get a handle on it until I got home. All my weights were on one side of the wheel and when I divided them equally, smooth as glass. I don't know why I didn't think of it on the road but when you're doing 100mph across the moonscape of Nevada, other things were more important.

Dan

I am amazed that a 'tech' would be so inept or just complacent as not to split the weights close to equal on each side. Or at least put then in the centerish of the rim.... That would be a no brainer folks..duh!!

ddtmoto said:
I am amazed that a 'tech' would be so inept or just complacent as not to split the weights close to equal on each side. Or at least put then in the centerish of the rim.... That would be a no brainer folks..duh!!

I've asked at every dealer I've done business with what training techs have to obtain to work there.. they all said MMI or similar. There's your answer. Certified parts changers IMHO. The good techs are the old-school guys.. (and gals)....

Took the tire back, service manager was willing to at least listen but do not know if bought what I was saying, started in on his state of the art computer spin balancer.  Having learned long ago you cannot reason with unreasonable people, put palm up (stop)  Will you make this right or not?  About that time a salesman stepped in and flat told the service guy he was wrong.  Made them go to another dealer and get the right weights to attach to the center of the rim.  Got around 100 mi on my new PR3's took it up to 110 today and they feel great.  Thanks for all you help COG.

Good for you ! This stuff is not cheap and our lives are on the line here . No reason to put up with bs .