• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I've drunk the bright yellow Kool-Aid

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
Back in January, I attended the Chicago IMS intent on coming home with my first new-new riding jacket. While the old Weise I picked up second-hand has served me well, it was time for something sewn together this decade. I tried a bunch of jackets on at the show (a great reason for attending, by the way) and settled on a TourMaster Transition 3.0. But I ran into a dilemma...the place with the best price had only 2 colors remaining:  black and Hi-Viz.

Now I'm a safety-conscious rider; I always wear a helmet, I'm a proponent of ATGATT, and I try to ride defensively (well, at least most of the time). But I hadn't quite made the commitment to Hi-Viz. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that people notice Hi-Viz much more than any other color. But it's so...so...garish.

In a way I'm glad my only other choice was black. If it had been just about any other color, I may have lost my resolve. But any way you slice it, black is THE most invisible color on the spectrum. So I bit the bullet and came home with my first Hi-Viz gear.

IMG_0141.JPG

So there I am, patting myself on the back for putting function over form, and not 2 weeks later, someone here on the forum posts a bunch of riding gear for sale. Lo and behold, one of those items is a Sliders mesh jacket...in Hi-Viz. Size-wise it seemed like a better fit than the red/black TourMaster Air Intake 2 I've been using. The price was low enough to take a flier, so I jumped in. And a couple of weeks later, this showed up at my door:

photo.JPG

So I'm officially a member of the Neon Brigade, regardless of weather.

Now, if I could just get the bike running, I could actually try the new gear out...

Jeff,
I hear ya on the Hi Viz. I really love to hate it, but I won't ride without it. I am replacing my helmet with a Hi Viz here soon as well.
Matt

Nice!  :)

Being seen is incredibly important.  Being conspicuous is only one part of the equation, however it is a critically important part!

I tell everyone that although I may not be smart, when I wear my Hi-Viz suit I am very very bright!  :great:

I made sure when Carol and I got our rain gear it had a lot of yellow on it hoping it would make us more visible.

Roger

Did somebody say HI-VIZ????  :great:  :motonoises:

Attachments

• Final Farkle Photo-Small.jpg
    Final Farkle Photo-Small.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 144
Could not agree more about using the Hi Viz gear.  Bought a rain suit  which is bright orange with reflecting stiches/bars, logos, etc. and late last year on trip which took me into the late evening pulled into a gas station to fuel up and car pulled up beside me and commented that he could see me going down the highway way off with that reflective areas of the suit.  He asked me why other bike riders don't use that kind of gear and told him didn't know, but glad it got his attention.  Even if your gear does not have the reflective areas, tape can be purchased and used if desired.  Just a thought. 

Visibility is all down to contrast. A fluorescent yellow jacket seen against a backdrop of a Rape field is not going to be so visible.
rape-field.jpg
portwest-hivis-lite-bomber-jacket_680x480_85_9101.jpg

The best "hi-vis" jackets include that contrast in the jacket so they avoid becoming invisible in any circumstance.
I'd like the Oxford "Bee Suit" but would be afraid of getting swatted by a giant newspaper :rotflmao:
medscaleOxford-Bone-Dry-Covers-1-Piece-Rain-Suit-Fluorescent-0.jpg

As for the least visible colours, that would be grey or silver or beige.
All 3 just blend into nearly any background (except the Rape field <LOL>)

Me, I shall continue to wear black and keep my eyes open.
I trust myself to see them before they get anywhere near me.

OK, I really want to google "Rape field", but I'm at work and I'm afraid it'd set off some sort of alarm with my HR department.

:eek:

I agree on the gray/silver/beige. However, I will say that my next gear acquisition, if I can find a really good deal, will be on a set of mesh riding pants in one of those lighter colors. I've never understood why the most popular color for mesh pants is black.  :017: The primary purpose of mesh is to help keep you cool while riding, so let's make them in the color that best absorbs and retains solar heat?

LOL, it's Oil Seed Rape and goes to make BioDiesel & BioEthanol.
Really bad for anyone who suffers from hayfever!!
I believe y'all call it Canola oil over there.

(I agree on the gray/silver/beige. However, I will say that my next gear acquisition, if I can find a really good deal, will be on a set of mesh riding pants in one of those lighter colors. I've never understood why the most popular color for mesh pants is black.  :017: The primary purpose of mesh is to help keep you cool while riding, so let's make them in the color that best absorbs and retains solar heat?)
Carol and I both purchased mesh riding over pants from Olympia.They are quality made and include a waterproof liner. The mesh works great now in the spring and I've yet to try the liner with or without it raining and they do flow some air but I've yet to try them in our sometimes brutal summer temps but I've heard some c10 owners said their shins get so hot they smell bacon cooking while riding :))

Roger

I wish there was a way to judge how well this works...But, I THINK it does.  I get much more attempted eye contact riding my green Ninja vs the Silver Concours 14.  No reason other thna Color. The c14 looks better, visually, and is much more interestign and intimidating. I say attempted eye contact due to my wearing a tinted faceshield. 

Adding some bright and odd colors up so high can only be a good thing.

I've heard some c10 owners said their shins get so hot they smell bacon cooking while riding

Yep, I know that feeling. Had it happen once when I was wearing my mesh pants with just shorts underneath on a really hot day of riding. At  the end of my ride I had a sunburn-like mark covering most of the inside of my lower right leg. A couple of times I had to consciously move my foot out on the peg a bit to get some relief.

I've been wearing the Hi-Viz for awhile now, and while it's not quantifiable, I certainly feel it is making a difference in getting noticed.  I just don't want to be out there wishing I had it, after it's already too late. 

Glenn said:
I've been wearing the Hi-Viz for awhile now, and while it's not quantifiable, I certainly feel it is making a difference in getting noticed.  I just don't want to be out there wishing I had it, after it's already too late.

I wear hi-vis helmet, jacket and gloves. My buds tease me, saying I can be seen from outer space. I tell them that's the whole idea! Besides, when you've got it on, you can't see it yourself anyways!

mf-rabbit said:
(I agree on the gray/silver/beige. However, I will say that my next gear acquisition, if I can find a really good deal, will be on a set of mesh riding pants in one of those lighter colors.

I went with white mesh on a white leather chassis in my Icon Compound Mesh Overpants.  They're all over the place for around $150 - which is $200 off the retail price.  These are hands-down the best riding pants I've ever owned.  When I first got them, they seemed too small, but they were just stiff.  Wear them a bit and they limber right up.  Wear 34 pants like I do?  Get these in a 34.

They do a great job in reflecting the blazing Florida sun and go well with my silver Scorpion mesh jacket.

CompoundMeshWhitePantsSide_rollover.jpg

Unfortunately I only sipped the Kool-Aid, I wish I had gulped it.
When I first purchased my gear I got a gray w/black trim jacket and pants and a HI-VIZ vest to go over it. I thought at the time I would take the vest off and leave it on the bike when I went into a restaurant or someplace. Turns out I'm too lazy to take it off, so if I had it to do over I'd just get the HI-Vis jacket and skip the vest. The mesh vest just seems to cut down the air flow through the mesh jacket underneath. If I had made the correct decision in the first place, I'd have better air flow and more money still in my pocket. My next Jacket will be HI-VIZ (and have zippered sleeve vents {not that vents have anything to do with Kool-Aid or safety, just an unsolicited fyi.}).

I jumped on the Hi viz bandwagon myself of recent... So far invested in a Sidi h2out voyager HV (on close out) and a teknic freeway HV (also on close out, unfortunately I feel this will go back, it's a little big)
So these will be my colder season stuff and now just looking for a summer HV ..
Sold my revit tornado to get the hi viz version.. But Klim has a pretty interesting one coming in June and just $40 more than the revit .. So I will wait

Yea, went with the Hi-Viz last summer.  Have a Tourmaster full length jacket and a short, mesh FirstGear for hot days.  I like 'em!

My current lid is red, which goes with my jacket and my previous bike. But my next one is going to be white. I figure with a dark blue fully loaded Connie, people that just glance my way might think I'm a cop and give me another look. That second look could save my life.

A MSF instructor I had has a different take on visibility, rather than the HiVis colors, he believes a white helmet is the ticket.  His thought is most drivers are tuned to look for cops, and motor cops almost universally wear white helmets.

Made me think... although not that much as I wear a cobalt blue Stich and a black EVO-900 lid!

rcannon409 said:
We just had a car take out three Police officers on Motorcycles...BMW's, bright white, and three of them...Actually, just two guys. The third missed the car...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29621292&nid=148

I know visibility is the ultimate answer...still, I dot think we've found the solution.

Bridge embankments are super easy to spot, yet people drive right into them.  Being more visible to those
that actually watch where they're going will help... For the distracted/inebriated/stupid driver there is no solution.
Unfortunate reality.

Yep, don't even think there is such a thing as a "solution".

We're dealing with imperfect human beings here, driving cars and giant, multi-thousand-pound trucks and SUV's.

Drunk, stoned, (or both), texting, sexting, talking-on-cell-phone car and truck drivers, truck drivers that are falling asleep, drivers fighting with the kids in the back seat, drivers shaving, eating, applying their make-up, all DRIVING CARS and pointed at you.

Riding motorcycles among all these idiots is a risk, plain and simple.

All you can do is reduce the odds. 

That's it.

It's better to wear high-vis than not.  I wear a white helmet because many years ago our Idaho STAR (that's our terrific motorcycle driving instruction program here) instructor suggested it, and I started to notice bikers with white helmets were noticeable and other colors blended into the clutter.

I think white helmets might be most visible, and fluorescent-yellow is second best.  Cops around here have silver helmets and so car drivers might be on the look out for those too.

Many years ago, about 1984 or so, I was rear-ended by a drunk who--thankfully--was only going about 5 mph or so as he rolled into me as I was stopped at a red light.  He claimed he never saw me. 

I was wearing a white helmet.

I took my first official ride today with the new jacket. Just a quick shakedown ride to blow out the winter cobwebs, less than 10 minutes total.

Of course I had to wear my new jacket. I felt really conspipicuous, which I guess is the point. The true test will be when I take it through the city during rush hour.

TLR said:
We're dealing with imperfect human beings here, driving cars and giant, multi-thousand-pound trucks and SUV's.
Which is why you are better off assuming that they have NOT seen you and riding accordingly.
In many cases of what we in the UK call a SMIDSY (Sorry Mister I didn't See Ya) it wasn't a case of them not seeing you,..... THEY DIDN'T LOOK,... and they don't care.

Even when stationary at a red light I am constantly looking at all possible threat vectors.
Think of riding in terms of a fighter jet dogflight with no radar.
You need to grow eyes in your elbows and knees and shoulders and ....
I have blown several red lights over the years to get out of the path of a potential rear--ender.
I am also constantly evaluating my escape routes.

Boomer said:
TLR said:
Which is why you are better off assuming that they have NOT seen you and riding accordingly.
In many cases of what we in the UK call a SMIDSY (Sorry Mister I didn't See Ya) it wasn't a case of them not seeing you,..... THEY DIDN'T LOOK,... and they don't care.

Even when stationary at a red light I am constantly looking at all possible threat vectors.
Think of riding in terms of a fighter jet dogflight with no radar.
You need to grow eyes in your elbows and knees and shoulders and ....
I have blown several red lights over the years to get out of the path of a potential rear--ender.
I am also constantly evaluating my escape routes.

Certainly helps that my new bright yellow Kool-Aid Helmet has the flip down sun visor makes me think I am a fighter pilot!  :motonoises:

Bright Yellow gear is all I wear now !
Don't trust I can be seen without it!
Been about 7 years now "........50 years ago I rode in a t shirt and sneakers,too stupid what can happen to you when your young???your bulletproof!!!AKA dumb ass
Oh well

I wear yellow helmet and jacket and still get smidsys all the time. It is no substitute for taking responsibility for where you are and for the idiots who wont. :-X

I drank the Kool aid begrudgingly recently as well.  My wife let me buy a new to me 2006 Speed Triple.  In return I agreed to buy a hi-viz jacket.  I also bought the Tourmaster transition 3.0.  I think it was a worthwhile concession.  The S3 is a blast to ride (still have the 08 C14 as well)

Attachments

• S3-1-small.jpg
    S3-1-small.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 79
A somewhat sad but informative epilogue to my OP:  Back in September I had an off while wearing the Transition 3.0. The jacket and other riding gear did its job and, despite hitting the asphalt at about 50 mph and sliding/rolling for a good 30 yards to so, I literally walked away from it, with just a couple of bruises and a sore neck.

The abrasions on the Transition and my riding pants forced their retirement from riding, so I removed the armor and donated them (along with their quilted liners) to my local Goodwill store. If I see a homeless guy wearing a neon yellow TourMaster jacket this winter, I'll give him a wave.

My back-up jacket for colder riding (I still have the Sliders jacket) is an older version of the Transition that I got almost unused through my local CL for $25. Even though I had plenty of jackets, I couldn't pass that up. Thing is, it's black. And with my newfound conversion to the Great Yellow Way, that wouldn't do. So I repurposed a neon yellow & reflective vest I use for running when it's dark outside. I just slip it over the jacket and it seems to work fine.

Boomer said:
Visibility is all down to contrast. A fluorescent yellow jacket seen against a backdrop of a Rape field is not going to be so visible.
rape-field.jpg
portwest-hivis-lite-bomber-jacket_680x480_85_9101.jpg

The best "hi-vis" jackets include that contrast in the jacket so they avoid becoming invisible in any circumstance.
I'd like the Oxford "Bee Suit" but would be afraid of getting swatted by a giant newspaper :rotflmao:
medscaleOxford-Bone-Dry-Covers-1-Piece-Rain-Suit-Fluorescent-0.jpg

As for the least visible colours, that would be grey or silver or beige.
All 3 just blend into nearly any background (except the Rape field <LOL>)

Me, I shall continue to wear black and keep my eyes open.
I trust myself to see them before they get anywhere near me.

Really??? A freaking rape field??? Really!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

“Rape, also called colza,  (species Brassica napus), plant of the mustard family (Brassicaceae), native to Europe. Rape is an annual, 30 cm (1 foot) or more tall, with a long, usually thin taproot. Its leaves are smooth, bluish green, and deeply scalloped, and the bases of the upper leaves clasp the stem. Rape bears four-petaled, yellow flowers in spikes. Each round, elongated pod has a short beak and contains many seeds. These seeds, known as rapeseeds, yield an oil—rapeseed oil, or canola—that is variously treated for use in cooking, as an ingredient in soap and margarine…” (courtesy of Encyclopaedia Britanica)

Sorry, just had to look it up.  Sounds yummy.

We now return you to your originally scheduled Hi-Viz thread.

First, a little disclaimer.  I'm a new Industry Member here and for the past 15 years my wife and I have owned MotoReflective.com which manufactures and sells pre-cut reflective kits for sport-touring motorcycles.  And yes, I'm going to talk a little about this, among several other things.

As you can imagine, I'm also a member of the Hi-Viz brigade, courtesy of Olympia.  I also wear a bright helmet.  My bike has oddly placed driving lights (on brackets above the mirrors).  I've installed under-mirror LED clusters connected to the turn-signal circuit and angled about 30 degrees out form straight rearward (imagine a motorcycle version of the turn signals built into Mercedes mirrors, and others).  I've also added Hyperlite brake lights.  Four LED clusters in all.  So I have no problem doing what I can to be seen.

I mentioned "oddly placed driving lights" because of a study I read many moons ago (can't recall if it was NHTSA or some academic institution) whose research showed that people ignore the common or "expected" things and notice the unexpected, that which they don't anticipate seeing.  We all do that.  The driving lights fit that description.  They're very broadly spaced.  My bike has a "WTH is THAT?" appearance from the front.

My Shoei has reflective material on it, and it works because people don't expect to see that either.  Plus, when my head turns, the reflective, which I've applied in a circumferential pattern, moves with it.  For those who've used them, a Halo reflective band does much the same (I think it's a good product, even if it's a competitor).

And finally to the rear is one of our saddlebag reflective kits.  Here, though, the story is a bit different.  Yes, the reflective works and makes you more conspicuous, more noticeable.  But at night a motorcycle is no wider to cagers, than its taillight.  As sport-touring riders, we occupy up to 3.5 - 4  feet of lane width, but don't get recognized, nor respected, for much more than the 8-12 inches of our taillights.  Aux brake lights help, but only when applied.  But a reflective kit on the saddlebags shows our width to the motoring public, establishes a substantial "lane presence," and more than just helping prevent tailgaiting and rear-ending, it helps reduce lane encroachment.  How many of us have had cars move over behind us, with about a foot to spare during the maneuver.  Nobody "wants" to hit us (although it's good practice to ride as if they do).  But cagers are subconsciously aware that if they do, they get scratched and WE get dented.

Heck I didn't want this to sound like a commercial, so I'm going to say this.  Get some reflective on your bike and get it from anyone you want.  The important thing is to make sure your bike is not only visible, but conspicuous from every angle.  Lights can do the job up front.  Extra brake lights in back.  Hi-viz on the rider.  A light colored helmet with added reflective all the way around.  And BIG reflective to the rear.

We all know rider education is extremely important as it stresses situational awareness and avoidance techniques.  But add to those proactive efforts the passive effects of 360-degree conspicuity and you'll Get Noticed a lot more than you do now.  Be Obvious.  I summarize it this way.  Ever see a kid with nose and lip rings and spikey hair?  Gotcha to look, didn't he.

Tony said:
I drank the Kool aid begrudgingly recently as well.  My wife let me buy a new to me 2006 Speed Triple.  In return I agreed to buy a hi-viz jacket.  I also bought the Tourmaster transition 3.0.  I think it was a worthwhile concession.  The S3 is a blast to ride (still have the 08 C14 as well)

Damn! I bought the jacket without getting a new bike. I didn't know it was a bargaining chip. :'(

ChipDoc said:
Welcome to the forum, EffBee - it's great to have a fresh voice in the mix!  :beerchug:
Thanks.  Been riding a long time.  Spent my career in the motorcycle industry.  Still learning every day, but willing to help spread a little of what I've absorbed.

I first learned of COG from an SW Area guy, Jim Souder.  If you look at our Reflective Kit for the 1000 Connie (above), that's his bike in the photos.  He was a great help many way back then, and I still call him when I need to know something about COG.  So I thought I should probably go ahead join as an industry member, pay up and contribute to the cause.