• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Javitz Show Annual Gathering; Saturday, January 19, 2013

terrynyc

We will be having our traditional Javitz Show Lunch/Dinner gathering on Saturday, January 19.  Meet at the Connie between 2 and 2:30pm then head out for victuals, tasty beverages and good company.  Our first choice, if we have a healthy turnout, is Heartland Brewery, 127 W 43 St.  Microbrewed beer with usual pub style menu.  www.heartlandbrewery.com

If the turnout is light directly next door is a great little Belgian restaraunt/bar, Bxl Cafe, 125 W 43 St.  Great Belgian beer on tap and good food. www.bxlcafe.com

Come on down and join us for some COG conraderie.  A good chance for anyone thinking of joining to see what this thing is all about.  Drop me a text or call if you need more info.  917-837-6634.  See you there!

We still like you Terry. I don't know if we will be attending this year yet but I'm sure you'll
get a good COG turnout with your excellent lunch choices.  :beerchug:

Terrynyc said:
I'm beginning to think no one likes me....<sniff> :'(
I like you enough to have checked train ticket prices for a ride down.  And I think I like you enough to pay what Amtrak is asking.

But I'm not sure about my work schedule.

I'm still upset I missed last years get together.  I'm gonna try real hard to make this years.  Don't know what I look foward to more, the show or the food afterwards.

Why bother. If I say I'm going to come, it's guaranteed to have a big snow storm that day. So for now I'll keep my mouth shut and not say I'm coming.  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
Why bother. If I say I'm going to come, it's guaranteed to have a big snow storm that day. So for now I'll keep my mouth shut and not say I'm coming.  :))

You know I believe that may be true!  :-\ That's ok we still love you Bob! :)

Well, I got the night before the show off from work, so I'm planning to attend.  Probably going to take the train down to Penn Station.

I am planning on attending on Saturday.  I went to this show a few (5 maybe) years ago and was disappointed, but I am willing to give it another shot.  I'll bee at the Connie between 2-2:30.  Hopeing to drag Ben Thompson with me too..

PdLt said:
I am planning on attending on Saturday.  I went to this show a few (5 maybe) years ago and was disappointed, but I am willing to give it another shot.  I'll bee at the Connie between 2-2:30.  Hopeing to drag Ben Thompson with me too..

Look at it as an opportunity to hang with the COG crew for an afternoon and get the show as a side bonus.  :motonoises:

PdLt said:

Was I THAT disappointing? :'(

The show was slightly bigger last year but like Steve said for me it's an excuse to get together with fellow Coggers.  Kinda a mid winter shot in the motorcycle arm so to speak.

I liked it much better a year or two ago when Terry use to buy everyone breakfast an hour before the show started. That Terry was a really great guy back then. Not that he's not now.  :))

I wonder if that new Honda GoldWing F6B will be at the show? I really want to check this thing out among a few others.  :great:

Cap'n Bob said:
I liked it much better a year or two ago when Terry use to buy everyone breakfast an hour before the show started. That Terry was a really great guy back then. Not that he's not now.  :))

I believe that Terry was an evil robot double.... :))

Nope I'm not saying I'm coming until like a day or two before. I talked about going with my buddy last Sunday and we have gotten two snow storms this week since. I just came in from cleaning snow. I have been blessed with over a foot of snow this week alone. So no I'm not coming yet.  :))

Terrynyc said:
OK tickets are purchased!  Don't forget to use the promo code cog2013 for a 2 dollar discount. :)
Hmmm.  You get $3 off if you use promo code teamzg.  :eek:

DLR2013 gives you $3.75 off.  (25% discount)

Neither of those work if you get the Ticket & T-Shirt combo, though.  (cog2013 doesn't work on the combo, either.)

zgempire will give you $3 off the combo.

Outback Jon said:
Terrynyc said:
OK tickets are purchased!  Don't forget to use the promo code cog2013 for a 2 dollar discount. :)
Hmmm.  You get $3 off if you use promo code teamzg.  :eek:

DLR2013 gives you $3.75 off.  (25% discount)

Neither of those work if you get the Ticket & T-Shirt combo, though.  (cog2013 doesn't work on the combo, either.)

zgempire will give you $3 off the combo.

IIRC - There is also a $1 online purchase service charge.

In past years COG got $4 discount to compensate for the service charge.  I was told by the promoter that they were not doing any online discounts of more than $3, but Jon found one that deviates from this.  I suspect there are more. Additionally, there seems to be an awful lot of promo codes floating out there.  I'm sure each one is tracked to see which group's code brings in more visitors to the event.  The promoter could use this info to decide future promo discounts. 

Actually it might have been three dollars.....my head is still spinning money wise since I came home last Thursday and found a lovely letter from NYS Taxation informing me I owe 1400+ dollars from my 2009 taxes...all because I checked the wrong box! :-\

Ain't life grand!  Next stop the economic cliff! :beerchug:

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Going to try to get in early. Anyone from PA/Central NJ want to come with? If the weather is nice, I might try to ride in, otherwise will take the car to the ferry. Happy to pick up others along the way!

For those who haven't bought tickets yet, yon's can use code DLR2013 at checkout for 25% off.

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

Terrynyc said:
S Smith said:
Terrynyc said:
NOW ya tell me!!! :-[

Already used the COG code.... ???

just saw this posted elsewhere...  only $.75 difference.  ;-)

Yo!  I just saw the tuition amount for my son's college! :-\

75 cents is 75 cents!!! ;)

It it's anything like it was when I was in college (5 years ago now) you'll need to sell a kidney just to get him through the first year.

Anyone trying to call or text me be advised my smartphone had a nervous breakdown and I'll be off the grid for two days till the new one comes.

Ain't technology grand!!! :great:

I should be coming in on the train (Metro North) as well. There's zero chance of getting a bike out to be able to ride in.  :mad:

Note to add: I just registered for lunch and plan on being there. (I forgot to earlier today) Obviously anything could still screw it up for me as usual. But I think not saying I'm coming might have kept it from snowing yet again.  :-[

I'll be there too....bringing an old friend that I am trying to convince to buy a motorcycle.....cya there!....Chris

Hey Terry, don't hold me to this but I think this years group may be bigger than last years.  ;)

If it looks nice out tomorrow morning I may have to ride the bike to the show, much better than pubic transportation.

Well another Javitz extravaganza has come to a close we had a nice turnout of 10 head over to Heartland Brewery to enjoy some fine fictuals, tasty beverages and excellent conversation.  The show seemed a bit larger this year and definitely better attended than last year.  Now we can return to our winter's sleep and dream of spring riding. ;)  Hope all is well there Alex, we missed you.  ???

See you all out there! :great:

Had a good time at the show this year. I'll post up my full show review in a few days. If you go be sure to check out the fully restored, actual Munro Indian Scout that was the inspiration for the movie "World's Fastest Indian" and be there during an engine start up. 

For now, here are a few pics of the COG gathering and lunch....

I don't think I really saw much of anything. There were just sooooooooo many people, you couldn't see $h!t. The vendor areas were so packed (like the manufacturer displays, that you could not even get anywhere near them.  :mad:  Although after searching though the groups of folks surrounding everything, I did get to check out a few bikes. So it wasn't a total loss. Funny that the electric bikes were practically only bikes you could check out unmolested. But on the really good side, the Ducati gals.  :great:  By far the best part of the day was having lunch with folks. Thanks for organizing it Terry.

The weather was decent all weekend with no snow, rain, and temps well above freezing.  These are conducive conditions for a large show attendance in NYC.  Friday attendance seemed to be fairly typical during the 12p-3:30p period I was there. No problems walking the vendor aisles and seeing just about any bike without too much trouble. 

Saturday there were the typical long lines forming prior to the when the show doors open at 9a. The large crowds were being regulated in, which delayed some of the lines. The huge influx of people at opening almost immediately congested the aisles and motorcycle vendor areas.  The crowd was so incredibly dense in some sections.  For instance, when we went over to look at the Honda Goldwing F6B I could not find/see it until I got within 15 feet because of the number of bodies around it.

Victory pitchman Gunnery SGT. R. Lee Ermey was in there signing autographs, and the line went out the Victory area, into the aisle, kept going. Some folks had no idea what the line was for. I overheard one couple say "It must be to do one of those simulated rides." This being a reference to the simulated ride over at the H-D area with similar lines. Indian had the sound box where you could hear the new Indian sound, and they were promoting a new smartphone app where you can twist the phone as the throttle to play the sound.  As I said before, I was more impressed with seeing the Munro Indian start up. Note Indian pitchman Mike Wolfe (American Pickers) standing above looking on.

Munro Indian Scout Start-up

The show was mobbed with people Sat.....made moving around slow and bumpy but it was fun anyway.......renewing acquaintances and making new friends at lunch was the best!.....thanks Terry for putting this together........Chris

I showed up at the Connies at 2:25 or so and no one was there. Marc called and they said they'd already left. Oh well, maybe next year...

In any event, that show sucked. The venue was smaller, lines were insane, and I wound up catching the flu from some germ-laden yokel.

Not the best way to spend $12, IMHO...

Sorry you missed us.  Terry is nothing if not prompt and herded the crew out of the booth exactly 2:30p (Staten Island time).  I had to wait at coat check, then headed out. I got a call from Marc at 2:41 when we were less than a block away. It sounded like he was going to be heading out right behind us and would meet us there. I waited a bit for a reply to a text to see how many seats we should hold.

BTW - Friday is a much better day to hit the show

S Smith said:
Sorry you missed us.  Terry is nothing if not prompt and herded the crew out of the booth exactly 2:30p (Staten Island time).  I had to wait at coat check, then headed out. I got a call from Marc at 2:41 when we were less than a block away. It sounded like he was going to be heading out right behind us and would meet us there. I waited a bit for a reply to a text to see how many seats we should hold.

I tried to keep to the posted time sorry about missing you, more the merrier I say.  As for Friday that would entail me taking off the day which will be doable next year (4 weeks vacation as of June) but I think it might hurt the turn out.

Terrynyc said:
S Smith said:

I tried to keep to the posted time sorry about missing you, more the merrier I say.  As for Friday that would entail me taking off the day which will be doable next year (4 weeks vacation as of June) but I think it might hurt the turn out.

After this year, Friday may be the only way I'll be there next year.  ::)